why do the same people work all the time

why do the same people work all the time

frustrated carpenter
Does anyone agree there should be a furlough? I have had one month of work in almost two years! Can someone explain why this occurs?

Re: why do the same people work all the time

Rico
Because you don't suck it as good as dirty daly

Re: why do the same people work all the time

35 year man
Brother; first and foremost I understand your frustration. It has ben like that for the 35 years I have been in the union. There is always a protected class. Now it is minorities and women; 35 years ago it was family and friends of the business agents. Both eras wrong both eras blessed by the politicians. My advice to you is learn the trade and learn it well. Take advantage of the school. An opportunity will come to you so be ready for it. When I not know but it will come.

Re: why do the same people work all the time

Retired
So, as you can see by the two responses so far, there are all types of people in our union. I suspect you depend solely on the owl to find work? If it is slow economically then there will be less work in total. If on the other hand there are many jobs and others are working much more than you, I would ask myself: Do I have the same qualifications (skills) as those that work more? Do I depend on the union to find work, or can I find work better on my own?
  I personally could not depend on anyone else. I had one bad yr. out of thirty. In that yr. I made up the difference elsewhere. I always tried to produce more than the next guy and included quality as a must. There are times when one needs to soul search and recognize who you are! One month of work in two yrs. is way past due! Take pride in yourself, and good luck.

Re: why do the same people work all the time

frustrated carpenter
Yes, but i was told they have their own company men. I pay dues just like those guys. i work harder then the people I am on the jobs with. There all buy buddy. sucking up Kissing ass! Why doesn't the Union Reps do something about this?

Re: why do the same people work all the time

frustrated carpenter
There should be a furlough! period end of story!  I call company after company! They all say they have no work! Why because all there fucking suckups get job first. Believe there guys do shit! They make people Foreman who don't even know had to frame properly. Yo dudes let me hear from the guys who feel my frustration!

Re: why do the same people work all the time

frustrated carpenter
Not one guy who works all the time will respond to this thread. Those guys got a weekly paycheck coming in, medical for them and their families as wells as a vacation check. Everyone goes through an apprenticeship so every carpenter should have about the same basic skills. Yes, i also get taking classes helps increase your skills. If the union furloughed it would bring more opportunities to other hardworking carpenters.

Re: why do the same people work all the time

Same old same old
Don't you understand yet? The game is rigged.Always was Always will be. A select few get everything the rest of you get nothing.Take a good look around all the leftovers. the same faces the same players day after day year after year. That's the way it is.Welcome to 608 wait l meant 157.This has been going on for years,get used to it.Sorry for the truth .
NYC

According to this post it is rather obvious you've answered your initial question of which I concur W/the answer.
NYC

Re: why do the same people work all the time

NYC
According to this post it is rather obvious you've answered your initial question of which I concur W/the answer.

Re: why do the same people work all the time

retired 157 steward
I hate to say it if you worked 1 month in the last 2 yrs your doing something wrong I would suggest leaving the union and get a paying job good luck maybe your not telling us the whole story

Re: why do the same people work all the time

RETIRED # 157
I have to agree with the shoppie  , you must be doing something wrong . We all had some bad times - - but you hit the streets and shape every job you see , and always go back a few days later . Ask other guys if they know other jobs. Talk to the stewards on every job . I always found my own jobs , didn't stop from looking and never was out more than a month . Also I would drive around in Manhattan on a Saturday morning , you would be surprised what you can find ( at least then - 10yrs. ago ) some companies sneak (unreported jobs ) and load small jobs on the week end -- less people around and if you find any - - ask where the shoppie is . If there aint a shoppie , get the foremans name and go from there, Don:t want to name anyone , but I would bet it:s still going on . So good luck or find another line of work .

Re: why do the same people work all the time

The Wizard of Oz
If you believe that one I've got a bridge to sell you for a dollar.

Re: why do the same people work all the time

II. THE DISTRICT COUNCILA. Overview1. Man Hours and Member Statistics

According to data received from the Benefit Funds, the quarter of July 2015 -September 2015, saw nearly 5.5 million man-hours added to the Welfare Fund. This figuresupports a projection of 21.9 million man hours for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2016, a projected 2.5 million hour increase over the fiscal year ending June 30, 2015.According to data received from the United Brotherhood of Carpenters (the“UBC” or the “International”) Ultra data system, there are 12,312 journeymen members in goodstanding and 1,539 journeymen members in arrears (13,851 total) as of November 30, 2015.Both figures are slightly lower than those reported in my First Interim Report (ECF No. 1628).

Date: January 14, 2016 New York, New York
Respectfully submitted,By: __________________________ GLEN G. McGORTY

JOANNE R. OLEKSYK Crowell & Moring, LLP590 Madison Avenue, 20th Floor  New York, NY 10022(212) 223-4000gmcgorty@crowell.com joleksyk@crowell.com

Office of the Independent Monitor,District Council of New York Cityand Vicinity of the UnitedBrotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America

CC:AUSA Benjamin TorranceAUSA Tara LaMorteUnited States Attorney’s OfficeSouthern District of New York 86 Chambers Street, 3
 _______________

1)   Corporate Unionism = 100% Full Mobility; re: out of state, out of District Council (the NYC Local) Carpenters, cash workers, illegal aliens & every relative, cousin, brother, sister, boyfriend or girlfriend of your D,C, hacks or those out of state District Councils (aka - Jersey (NRCC), New England (NERCC) working where you live, shop & pay taxes.

2)   Ex-EST Mike Bilello, Ex-President Bill Lebo & V.P. Mike Cavanaugh all collectively sold you out on every contract & 150+ PLA's that they literally gave away to McCarron, Spencer, Ballantyne & the corrupt Contractor Associations whereby refusing to allow member voting on all Contracts (CBA's) and whereby they excluded members from the gallery at council meetings they handed McCarron and his pals 100% Control of Hiring & negated the Carpenter working from the local union Hiring Hall. EST Joe Geiger, President McGinnis & VP Cavanaugh accepted the Sellout Torch from the other stooges and continue selling you out via more & more PLA's and side deals. Add to this - sellout D.C. Delegates........

3)   The OWL Department is run by Non-Union personnel who have no real world clue about what the Construction Industry is about, nor do they know what you can or cannot do as a Union Carpenter.

4)   The UBCJA's creation of the "Skill Sets" criteria is another of Doug's fiendish little ways to de-value the Hall Carpenter (e.g. very competent Journeyman), take away Local Union control of Hiring and force you into this phony Re-Training system where you are forever an Apprentice and you are forced to take repetitive/redundant classes over & over again; Classes for the most part taught by incompetent politcally appointed hacks most of whom have no certifiable Teaching skills, credentials or Degrees as teachers and who are nothing more than Payroll Patriots of the "appointed" District Council all in the family machine.

Meanwhile, in through the back door while you are busy being bored to tears in these useless classes, the UBCJA and Doug's corporate handlers bring on the Company Men, the so called (phony) 300-Hitters All Star Team of out of Council, out of State traveling douchebags to do your work for you & take money generated in NYC back home with them, including benefits to their home Trust Funds - therein further weakening youru chances of obtaining work.

In the interim, while other fights are going on as to where this Union and where the Consent Decree is ultimately going - you must get off your duff, refuse to rely on the Local, the Make Pretend Hiring Hall or phony OWL Department and pound the pavement, shape some work for yourself etc.

Call the D.C., send them an e-mail etc. & have them send you the Signatory Contractor list for the part of the trade you specialize in. Then get your resume updated with a cover letter & start sending them out, whether by paper or electronically and then go follow up with the company in person after 2-3 days and get your own permanent full time gig.

5)   Every UBCJA District Council nationwide has taken in far too many members and the answer to that is simple - a specific and definitive moratorium on taking in new members across the board followed by the creation of a seniority system which states that once a member reaches the 30-year vesting, your retired - period. That will make room for new recruits down the road.

The NYCDCC currently has 13,851 members and I'll bet w/ 21.9 Million Man-Hours; 50% or more of your total man-hours go to out of Council members; statistics which the former RO & the current IM or any of the Trust Fund fidcuciaries or Doug McCarron have at their fingertips but short of a Court Order from Judge Berman, they will never give up.

Do you remember all the rah, rah Bullshit of how through the UBC you were gonna have a Wonderful Life and make tons of money and always work 2000 Hours a Year?

The UBCJA sells everyone a false bill of goods & once you sign the papers & do the PlaySkool Obligation dance at the Local Union meeting; you're on your own, because they gotta go sell the next sucker on all the benefits of going Union. They just conveniently forget to tell you the part where they have taken in twice as many members as the Yearly Man-Hour & Dollar Volume of work in the NYCDCC can actually support.

When you crunch the numbers, it's roughly 7,500 men max & you got 13,851; all before any traveler, cash worker, illegal alien or relative of a UBCJA District Council employee step foot in NYC, so now you have another 5,000 guys added to that looking to take your work. Hope you are starting to get the picture.

Don't listen to the clowns who balme you or say your are lazy or dont have the Skills - it's all bullshit and is nothing more than McCarrons duck & cover part of the 100% Full Mobility racketeering scam.

Take care of number one, get yourself out there & do not, do not rely on the OWL - OTHERWISE, IT'S HI, YOUR NUMBER 4,293....CALL US BACK IN 2023

Re: why do the same people work all the time

Benny Blanco
Ted..Spot on