"No Strike Clause" Let's Learn From the Teachers Movement.

"No Strike Clause" Let's Learn From the Teachers Movement.

Bill Walsh
https://portside.org/node/16678

Our Unions must remove the "no strike clause" from our contracts. The PLA's we have been signing in NYC over the last six years all include this union busting clause to benefit the employer's, not the workers. The Building Trades and Council leaders have allowed this clause slowly to leak into our collective bargaining agreements since the Business Round Table introduced it back in the 1970's. When elementary teachers feel they must become “political,” they show a breathtaking determination and solidarity in their union work. At school they care for “their kids," and that nurturing carries into union work once their fire is lit.

I never voted on a contract that included the "no strike clause " as a Carpenter Delegate for this reason. Only one contract for the Hudson Yards because they promised the job would be done 100% union, over the next ten years. They have reneged on that deal which has started the honorable "Count Me In" fight currently going on in New York.
Our leaders must get a backbone and unite the unions. The teachers are not part of a collective bargaining agreement, just people in America who want the right thing done. In unity there is strength. When will the unions put back the strength In numbers to get what's fair for who they represent? The Hudson Yards is an example of what's really going on in New York City. It's time we unite all workers for the honorable cause. All the best to the teachers around the country, you have my full support.
Let's hope our leaders get on board with the teachers movement and keep the momentum alive for our workers.

Bill Walsh
Carpenter's Local 157

Re: "No Strike Clause" Let's Learn From the Teachers Movement.

Bill Walsh
It's still too early to know whether organized labor is learning what it should from West Virginia, but teachers certainly are.

Re: "No Strike Clause" Let's Learn From the Teachers Movement.

Labor Omnia Vincit
Bill I first want to thank you for being an excellent delegate always voting in the best interests of the working member.Our union only cares about the contractor and benefit hours so they can pay their yes men delegates and buisness reps while pretending to a democratic organization. Bill when we as members come together and have our own wildcat strike the bloated leadership will be forced to act on our behalf. I appluad the teachers take their future into their own hands they will reap the benefits of their courage. I would point out that weve been underserved with the most corrupt leadership in union history we cant have a contract while the Wall and Ceiling votes Joe Geiger the Man of the Year. A real leader would never be called man of the year to their adversaries. Our leaders are never going to be anybobies heros except the contractor associations who they enrich.Look at Mike Cavanaugh he illegally allotted the hod hoist raise to the benfit funds w Bilello and he still sits with a job. McInnis bribed a delegate w a job for a yes vote and he was allegedly removed for sexual harassament but not earlier for corruption. We all need to fire this corrupt and willfully inept leadership now. When the election for president comes up we have to make sure Grahm McHugh is not elected cause hes a yes man offering more of the same.

Labor Omnia Vincit

Re: "No Strike Clause" Let's Learn From the Teachers Movement.

Steward
I think we all should learn from the teachers,we should have a wildcat strike and shut down jobs like 50Hudson Yards,Why should we bend over backwards and let the job go 50percent open shop,it is sending the wrong message.A big job of this capacity should be 100percent union,we are losing a lot of man hours to go into the benefits,I think we should have a wildcat strike to send a clear cut message to our developers it should be done 100 percent union.

Re: "No Strike Clause" Let's Learn From the Teachers Movement.

Hudson yards is open shop,it has a no strike PLA and it got a wage give back. Further Gieger and his rats stabbed all the other trades in the back..WHY. Because the SWRCC Pension fund as well as other UBC Funds, EXCEPT the NYC Fund where the job is, ARE PARTNERS WITH ROSS ON HUDSON YARDS. Dirty Doug has the UBC -Related Partnership, Hudson Yards Tower C Partnership and the Hudson Yards 15 lender llc...Stevey Ross and his people listed as board on all..Also dont forget the millions(diverted to ULLICO from our pension funds BY FORCE) given Ross by ULLICO who claimed all loans are ONLY given if the contractor puts Union people on the job.Dear Herb Kolben you lying sack of shyte..."We deal with some of the most sophisticated and well-known developers in the country: Trump, Related, Brookfield, SL Green, Hines, Tishman Speyer"https://commercialobserver.com/2015/02/qa-herbert-kolben-senior-vice-president-real-estate-investment-group-ullico/    All of our projects require 100 percent union [work] on construction projects.

See the SEC filing

Re: "No Strike Clause" Let's Learn From the Teachers Movement.

nanananaheyheysaygoodby
DROP DEAD UNITY TEAM !

Re: "No Strike Clause" Let's Learn From the Teachers Movement.

Haha

Re: "No Strike Clause" Let's Learn From the Teachers Movement.

RichardDorrough
Because I am not a dirty doug weinstein bitch like yourself

Re: "No Strike Clause" Let's Learn From the Teachers Movement.

Steward
If more members would speak up we would notice a big change with our leadership,it is long overdue,changes need to happen,to better our organization and bring back the respect of brotherhood to our great union,we should not settle for anything less,we all deserve better,for tegular members,young members and retired,better ideas with positive actions sure will raise some eyebrows,let's get it done.