building

rug man
are they selling the building ,and moving the school

Re: building

wondering
Building currently worth 220 million dollars.  Why talk about selling now?  It's bound to be worth more in the future.  McCarron came in and pushed this idea. Why?  Again, an outsider coming in and arbitrarily making decisions for us.  Where was the discourse?  Typical UBC bs.  And whose heirs owed the property that UBC was considering to buy?

Re: building

Pete
Why worry about selling the building? Best thing ever. You see we built it with our money, we have paid taxes on it, we occupied it. So, naturally we will reap the benefits of the profit. They would never consider putting all that money in international "pool for the greater good of the UBC". I am already dreaming of what I'm gonna do with my share. Catch up on some bills and maybe a trip to Disney. What about you guys?

Re: building

anon
Banned User

Re: building

wondering
Why are we looking for a state of an art training facility? Because McCarron likes building schools.  He should worry about the quality of carpenters the schools churn out instead of worrying about our ceiling height.  He likes to tout, "we have state of the art training facility" and then turn around to sell us out with his power grabbing regional councils and full mobility.  When is this guy going to put in his place?  I hope Judge berman and R.O. walsh stop him in his tracks. 1 man 1 vote

Re: building

wondering
Carpenters' union opens training centre
A new $21-million training centre and talk of long-term partnerships with "clients."
BY THE CALGARY HERALD SEPTEMBER 13, 2008

"The new partnership and training philosophy came from the union's Washington-based international president Douglas McCarron, who believes it has to be run like a business for the best interests of the industry as a whole."

"Times have changed, and we're not the union of old," says Martyn Piper, executive secretary-treasurer of the Alberta Regional Council of Carpenters and Allied Workers, which has 11,500 members.
"First and foremost we represent our people, BUT we also provide a service for our clients."
"They want safe and productive people when they need them, and our new training centre will help us do that."

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/calgarybusiness/story.html?id=5a8dc41c-cd8c-4eda-b32e-0ed761e3cded

----- Part of the negotiation tactic being talked about.  "We will get a new local for our client WC&C;  We though of a cute name, "local 395 "Interior Systems".  We are going to get a new training facility, we will even sell our building if we need to.  BUT you will have the best carpenters in the EAST COAST available for your services.  We don't care if the rank file want it or not, they are stupid little people who know nothing about business.  I guarantee you this new full mobility local and a state of the art training facility, even is it breaks the bank.   This is the future, and I'm the great seer of all. By all means necessary, I will push my personal agenda." --- Doug McCarron