Workers' Rights Slate

Levi
    The Workers' Rights Slate is dedicated to representing the membership of local157 and delivering informative, interactive meetings. We have been and will continue to be active in the discussion of the proposed bylaws, the ongoing court battles with the UBC and the R.O.'s Advisory committee.
    To answer the questions about the Carpenters' Committee for Democracy:
    Yes, some of the people on our slate have been involved and our VP candidate was instrumental in creating this group. The petition that so many of us signed has earned us a front row seat for the law firm that represents the group in Judge Berman's courtroom.
     Also present and involved in the CC4D were many others on other slates. We are proud of our involvement with all these people and the committee as a whole.

Re: Workers' Rights Slate

Donny Arana
Levi.. I'm a 157 voting carpenter. You seem like an honest guy and always answer questions. Would you answer these simple questions for me? The president on your slate. Pat Nee, is it true he is only in the union for 5 years and transferred over from 926 around a year ago?  How long has the  financial  sec on your slate"Peter Corrigan  been a member of 608? Also how long has the treasurer on your slate  Matt Seabery been a member of 608? And last question. How many 157 members do you have on your slate? If your an honest man you will answer these questions truthfully and quickly giving your ticket creditability.

Re: Workers' Rights Slate

Levi
This post was updated on .
   Yes Pat Nee has been in the union 5 years. He was  member of 926 until 2010. He is a common rank and file member who has spent his time and effort standing up for our rights. I have worked with him and have been impressed by his knowledge of union matters as well as his fortitude for standing up to authority. He will not back down in this fight. You must have seen him at a meeting or the RO forum or in court if you're an active member. Pat Nee is a leader with integrity and intelligence no matter how long he's been here. I've been here 15 years and I endorse him.
   Pete Corrigan has been a member for 6 years and has also been on the front line of our fight since our UBC supervisors have aggressively began their campaign to take away our rights.
   Matt Seabury has a background of higher education and practical financial employment that we believe qualifies him for his position. I will get back to you on his tenure in the local.
   John Defalco is our only 157 original for two reasons. First, because we were 608, most of the active and informed people we know are also from 608. Secondly, possibly we were 608 it was difficult to get 157 people on board. Even our VP candidate, Tom McGonnigle, was willing to stand aside for a viable 157 original. One of our goals is to bring together the two factions. We are looking forward to Delegate elections later this year and hope to have a Delegate Body that represents everybody in this local. We understand the meaning of brotherhood and how important it is to be inclusive and diverse.

Re: Workers' Rights Slate

Rev Al
Dont vote for them or any slate that sells the 5 BOROUGH LOCAL TAXPAYING members out. OUT OF TOWNERS GO HOME !

Re: Workers' Rights Slate

Levi
     Rev Al- You should get into union issues. If you got involved you would know what's going on. It seems like you like a good fight and we need people like that. Just try to leave out all that low brow stuff you were spouting about members who live outside the 5 boroughs being maggots and leeches. You lost your credibility and separated yourself from many of your brothers and sisters when you wrote that stuff.I guess you could start blogging again under a different name and this time try a more level headed approach. Using a pen name is fine as long as you're not bashing anyone unfairly or taking personal shots at people. You could even try using your own name, unless you put a stain on that also.

Re: Workers' Rights Slate

william davenport
Banned User

Re: Workers' Rights Slate

Levi
    Bill, you wrote that you can laugh at yourself in another post. Now's a good time. I think you were a bit overzealous in your campaign against Brother Nee. You might have been better off with a positive campaign on your own merits, instead of harassing Nee about his past. Your posts had a feeling of personal animosity bordering on obsession. I don't have a problem admitting when I'm wrong and in this case I was wrong when I wrote that Brother Nee was in for 5 years. Just so you know, I don't take any pleasure in your being vetoed. On the contrary,I believe you may be part of the solution.
owl

Re: Workers' Rights Slate

owl
obama held appointed office as a senator  for two yrs before he was appointed president of the united states. dont hold a guy haveing a union card for only 5 yrs against him

Re: Workers' Rights Slate

Levi..I am curious can Pat Nee not speak for himself or are you the designated white night for your slate or perhaps his mom.I have not yet begun to express my disbelief that this person is running for dog catcher let alone President of 157. I would appreciate if you let Nee speak for himself and basically mind your own business. No disrespect intended. We have a right to our opinion on Pat Nee without you lecturing us or butting in on every single post. That being said Mr. Nee is this a joke??Your running for President of a Local when you want all locals dissolved

 This is in response to PAT NEEs efforts to support the UBC and McCarrons position of wiping out all locals and handing the of the locals control over to a corrupt council. The same Pat Nee running for President of 157
 "One carpenter in New York argues on the internet that all local unions in the Carpenters District Council should be abolished because the reorganization of the international union under International President Douglas McCarron has already squeezed all life out of them. As he says, with justification, local unions have been deprived of almost every autonomous right and have no effective constitutionally means of affecting what happens in the union, not even in their own assigned jurisdiction and certainly not in the district. And so he concludes, it is pointless and misleading to continue the fiction that locals still have any meaningful role."

But what is the response to Pat Nees work to support the UBC and McCarron
"But while he describes the facts accurately, his conclusion would make matters worse. Precisely because the international has become so egregiously authoritarian, locals' unions, even in their eviscerated state, have become the only arena left where rank and filers can easily assemble to discuss union affairs, express dissatisfaction, and even just let off steam. Members have lost the right to act through their locals in collective bargaining; but so far, they retain at least the right to talk.

"And so he concludes It is pointless and misleading to continue the fiction that locals still have any meaningful role." Yet he is running for President of 157. Why . Is it so under his control the UBC can smoothly with his support finish off 157. Can I get a free sticker

Re: Workers' Rights Slate

RichardDorrough
I think that the local has to become more pro active in court, if the locals are to regain any powers, it is going to happen in the courts.

What a crock of Bullshit. When Nee was posting as anonymous he did everything in his power to discourage any court actions by the Locals against the UBC. Any mention of taking McPussy to court and Nee posted a barrage of bullshit like "you cant beat the UBC". "Court is a waste of time" Dont file any injunctions because and I quote "McCarron can do what ever he wants." Now he is claiming to support legal action by the locals .Pure Horse shit

Re: Workers' Rights Slate

Levi
  Richard, I haven't lectured anyone or butt into every post regarding Nee. I have posted a bit about our slate and gone back and forth with Davenport. You guys go nuts.

Re: Workers' Rights Slate

william davenport
Banned User

Re: Workers' Rights Slate

BKLYN
Levi, just because you say its not a union issue does not make it so. You're awfully condescending on a NYC union issue. If you're really for a commuter tax I dare you to contact your state legs and push them. You're just talk, no action.

Re: Workers' Rights Slate

Levi
  1.  No action from me on that issue BKLYN. I am focused on the issues that affect the NYCDCC.  If you take action on the commuter tax issue I support you 100%.
  2.  I'm not condescending, I just think NYCDCC members deserve equal rights in their jurisdiction regardless of where they live.
  3.  Your assertion that I am "just talk, no action" is bullshit. I act on the issues that are important to me. Are you acting on the issues that are important to you?

Re: Workers' Rights Slate

Levi
   That's the spirit Bill.

Re: Workers' Rights Slate

william davenport for president
its funny i read the ne regional council out of work list rules and it states workers have to live in the state that they work,did i read it wrong. the next time i get laid off i am putting my name on their list to see how it works. since i live in bklyn can i work in new jersey ?

Re: Workers' Rights Slate

Levi
  I called it yesterday Bill and they gave me the runaround. One phone # to the next 3 and back to the first. Then they said they would call me that afternoon and didn't.