UNION - CHANGE OR DIE

Ted
Indeed, every innovation in construction methods or materials introduced new disputes -- and often serious vandalism -- by warring unions. {JULIA - NOW WE'RE VANDALS, GREAT NAME THE PROJECTS SO VANDALIZED, SHOW US THE POLICE RECORDS}

Jurisdictional conflicts seriously undermine productivity and raise costs in New York -- yet aren't even an issue in competitor cities. They've become the most important reason not to use union labor. {WE PAY FOR THE LAWYERS ON ALL 10K ISSUES VIA PAYROLL DEDUCTIONS FROM OUR CBA WAGE & BENNIE PACKAGE, IT CREATES JOBS FOR ATTORNEYS & LABOR LAW HACKS & THE NLRB & DOL STAFF}

The good news is that the unions can do something about these destructive disputes. Back in 2009, they tried to curb the worst abuses through Project Labor Agreements, which were negotiated site by site to mandate such basics as a full 8-hour workday in exchange for an 8-hour paycheck, standardized holidays, staggered start and finish times, overtime capped at time-and-a-half and prohibition of strikes or stoppages. {JULIA - PLA'S HAVE BEEN UPHELD AS CONSTITUTIONAL BY THE SUPREME COURT, UNION & NON-UNION FIRMS WORK THESE PROJECTS & MUST PAY PREVAILING WAGE RATES, WE GET NO STINKING PAID HOLIDAYS, NOT A ONE, ALL TRADES WORK AN 8-HOUR DAY & WE ARE NOT GIVING IN, NOR WILL WE GO BACK TO THE DAYS OF COMPANY CAMPS, COMPANY HOUSING, CHITS IN LIEU OF CASH (MONEY), STAGGERED START & STOP TIMES DO NOT WORK, BESIDES WE'D SCREW UP THE COMMUTE FOR ALL YOU USELESS, LAZY DO-NOTHING OFFICE WORKERS, WE WORK IN ALL KINDS OF HEAT, COLD, RAIN & SNOW....YOU OFFICE GIRLS WOULDN;T LAST A DAY, LET ALONE A WEEK IN THE FIELD....ON OT, SCREW YOU, DOUBLE TIME FOR WORK OVER 10, SUNDAYS & HOLIDAYS IS HERE TO STAY.....PLA'S STABILIZE THE LARGE AMOUNT OF WORKERS REQUIRED TO COMPLETE MEGA PROJECTS & ANOTHER FACT....THERE ISN;T A NON-UNION SHITBAG FIRM IN THE NATION WHO HAS THE CREDIT OR BONDING CAPACITY TO HANDLE A MULIT-BILLION DOLLAR PROJECT, ON JURISDICTIONAL DISPUTES.....THEY'RE ALL CASH WORKERS & ILLEGALS FOR THE MOST PART, SO THEY CAN'T WORRY ABOUT WORK ASSIGNMENTS WHEN THEY LOOK OVER THEIR SHOULDER ALL DAY FOR ICE}

But developers and contractors concluded that the PLAs were mainly unenforceable and that the promised savings of 20 percent turned out to be more like 2 to 3 percent. {BULLSHIT - LARGE MULTI-BILLION DOLLAR CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS, PUBLIC WORKS OR PRIVATE GENERATE A BUTTLOAD OF CHANGE ORDERS, IN WHICH COMPETENT GC'S & SUB'S EARN 25% OH & P, OVER & ABOVE ACTUAL COSTS.....AND THAT INCLUDES PAYING OUR WAGES & BENNIES AT CURRENT RATES, PLUS OT & DOUBLE TIME....SO THIS IS JUST ANOTHER MYTH & LIE YOU PROFFER......FACT - WHEN CONSTRUCTION WORKERS WORK A PLA JOB, THEY ARE FAT & HAPPY SO TO SPEAK, THEY ARE LOYAL, THEY ARE MORE PRODUCTIVE AND DAMN GLAD TO HAVE THE JOB & THE OPPORTUNITY TO WORK THE OT. CENTURY CITY IN VEGAS WAS APPROX $6-BILLION BASE COST, TUTOR-PERININ TOOK IT TO OVER $9 BILLION WITH CO'S & MADE A KILLING, AS THEY ALL DO...SOME MORE THAN OTHERS........FACT 42-MONTH SCHEDULE..........FACT - THE RATS WOULD TAKE 15 YEARS TO BUILD THE SAME PROJECT & WHEN DONE IT WOULD BE HALF-ASSED & WOULD NOT PASS INSPECTIONS}

Now there's a better chance to fix the problems. On June 30, 23 labor contracts expire, giving the unions a historic opportunity to propose reforms that will save their jobs. This means:

Removing restrictions on the contractor's choice of equipment, technology, tools, methods, designs and materials, prefabrication and off-site work -- all of which should be in the domain of management discretion. {JULIA - YOU'RE SUCH A TERRIBLE LIAR.....SHAME ON YOU.......THERE ARE NO RESTRICTIONS ON CONTRACTOR EQUIPMENT HONEY...THIS IS CALLED MEANS & METHODS, A RIGHT WHICH ALL GC'S, SUB'S HOLD DEAR AND ONE WHICH IS PRESERVED VIA STD. AIA CONTRACT LANGUAGE.....GO BACK TO SCHOLL WILL YA.........ON PRE-FAB OFFSITE, THAT IS WHEREIN THE PROBLEM LIE, MANAGEMENT WANTS TO END RUN THE CBA'S & USE NON-UNION OR RAT FIRMS AND/.OR 3RD WORLD LABOR THAT THEY EXPLOIT FOR NEXT TO NOTHING TO LINE THEIR POCKETS ALL THE MORE.....AGAIN, SCREW YOU - AMERICA FIRST}
Abolishing contractual requirements for temporary services. {JULIA, NAME THEM...FINAL CLEANING WITH ILLEGAL ALIENS DOES NOT COUNT}

Starting and ending the workday at the worker's assigned station.{ JULIA HONEY - YA JUST DON'T GET IT.....SO IF DUE TO SITE LOGISTICS & MANNING OF OTHER TRADES, PER THE GC'S CPM SCHEDULE, ALL TRADES ARE SUPPOSED TO MAGICALLY FLY TO THE FLOOR THEY ARE WORKING ON....MORE BULLSHIT, THIS IS A SIMPLE FACT OF URBAN HIGHRISE DESIGN.....YOU CANNOT FORCE THE MEN TO WALK THE STAIRS, SO PUT UP MORE MANLIFTS, INSTALL MORE ELEVATORS (WAIT, DEVELOPER LOSES SQUARE FOTTAGE & LEASE SPACE)....BOTTOM LINE NOT GOING TO CHANGE.....WHEN YOU HAVE TO MOVE LARGE QUANTITIES OF WORKERS....3-5K MEN A DAY, THAT IS SIMPLY PART OF THE EQUATION FOR OUR MEN ACCOMMODATING THE RIDICULOUS SCHEDULING REQUIREMENTS & IT IS A CONCESSION TO LOGISITICS OF RUNNING LARGE PROJECTS. OF COURSE WITH AN ALL NO UNION ILLEGAL ALIEN WORK FORCE...YOU SAY JUMP, THEY SAY OK HOW HIGH, YOU SAY WALK TO 10OTH FLOOR, THEY SAY OK.....AGAIN, NOT GONNA HAPPEN ON UNION JOBS SO GO SAVE SOME WHALES OR THE ENVIRONMENT,,,DO SOEMTHING USEFUL}

Making an 8-hour day, 40-hour week the standard, with overtime to be paid at time and a half over 40 hours {JULIA - NO CHANGES BITE ME}

Permitting staggered start times among and within trades. { JULIA - DENIED}

Limiting paid days off to major national holidays.  {JULIA - RIGHT HERE YOU SHOWED YOUR CARDS, CLUELESS, WITLESS.....WE DO NOT GET PAID HOLIDAYS - PERIOD}

Union construction labor now costs 20 percent to 30 percent more than nonunion; these reforms would bring it closer to the 10 percent that many developers say is tolerable. Without them, private-sector union work will continue its vanishing act -- a tragedy for the union workers who built New York. { CALL AG'S OFFICE, DOL, ICE, FBI & DEPORT ALL ILLEGAL ALIENS, TRUMAN PROVED IT COULD BE DONE.....RAID NON-UNION CONS. FIRMS, ARREST, INDICT, TRY & CONVICT OWNERS FOR VILATIONS OF WAGE & HOUR LAWS, FAILURE TO PAY WORKERS COMP, UENPLOYMENT INSURANCE ETC........THERE IS YOUR 20-30%, RE: THE MARKET WOULD ADJUST & SELF CORRECT, NON-UNION FIRMS WOULD HAVE TO PAY MORE TO GET THEIR HELP, ALL PUBLIC & PRIVATE BIDS FOR JOBS WOULD THUS TIGHTEN UP DRAMATICALLY.....ALSO, THE OWNERS & DEVELOPERS WHO FUND PROJECTS IN THIS MANNER, SHOULD BE SO CHARGED & TRIED, CHANGE THE LAWS RELATIVE TO THEIR WILLING PART IN THE CONSPIRACY TO DEFRAUD THE STATES & DON;T TELL US THAT THE OWNERS & DEVELOPERS ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE, OR THAT THEY ARE UNAWARE OF THESE ISSUES - THEY ARE, THEY SUPPORT THEM & SOME GO AS FAR AS TO INSIST ON THEM ALL TO SAVE THE ALMIGHTY DOLLAR & PUT IT IN THEIR POCKET....SO WORK ON THAT & THEN COME BACK IN 20-YEARS WHEN YOU CLEAN THIS SECTOR UP AND TELL US THE NUMBERS (WAGE GAP) THEN}

Julia Vitullo-Martin is a senior fellow at the Regional Plan Associa tion and co-author, with Hope Cohen, of the study "Construction Labor Costs in New York City: A Moment of Opportunity." {JULIA, YOU OBVIOUSLY DON'T KNOW THE FIRST THING ABOUT THE CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY & YOU ARE A FRAUD}

Re: UNION - CHANGE OR DIE; Waging war against NYC Union Construction Workers?

Olga Aguilar
The purpose for this article is to induce a conversation amongst us on how to improve our union and get people involved with the issues that directly affect them.  By educating ourselves, we can be better prepared to fight for our rights.

R.O. Walsh started the Advisory Committee meeting by talking about the Regional Plan Association's “Construction Labor Costs in New York City — A Moment of Opportunity,” report:  http://nikit.co/ur

It's Collective Bargaining Season

In a report released to the city entitled “Construction Labor Costs in New York City — A Moment of Opportunity,” the Regional Plan Association urged unions to accept reforms that would significantly cut costs at a time when major projects are in jeopardy over rising price tags.

 "RPA wants to see the difference between union and non-union expenditures drop to 10 percent from the current levels, which the organization says are closer to 20-30 percent.”  YET the "report also says that leading developers and contractors are attached to union construction work, in part because “the best union labor continues to surpass nonunion in skills and productivity,” and because the jobs provide “a key channel of upward mobility for millions of Americans.”

 “The best union labor continues to surpass nonunion in skills and productivity,” should only be 10% more than non-union?

 "The report also called for eight-hour shifts to officially begin when a worker reaches his station, not when he arrives at the ground level, an issue in tall construction sites where many men are using a few hoists to get to the floors where they are working." What do you think about this?  When does the workday start and end?

"The report describes as archaic various provisions that unions have succeeded in keeping around, in contracts that were also signed by employers."  If you think this is true, can you named them?

If we are talking about cutting waste, efficiency and productivity in order to cut costs, it is a two way street.  Before they commissioned reports to cut labor costs, what are contractors doing on their end to cut costs?  Where are the unions' reports and their 26 bullet point ways to help contractors reduce cost?  Can you name practices done by contractors that are wasteful and unnecessary?

As union workers, we want what is fair compensation for the work that we do.  Before we considered work rules changes and reductions in wages and/or benefits, we should be asking the contractors to open their books.  The massive economy meltdown has hurt everyone.  The changes in lending practices crippled the construction industry.  Everyone has been hurt, but how much? and how much in the future?  Maybe they have opened their books to the Negotiating Committee (McCarron, Spencer & Ballantyne).  Who knows?

Other thing that comes to mind: what about projections for the next five years in NYC construction?  One thing that bothers me when it comes to this subject of "improving our union" is the timing.  We are well into the bargaining process (one that rank and file are completely shut out of) and we should be focus and united where we stand in regards to our contract.  Improving our union should take place the second the contracts are signed in order to improve our position for the next collective bargaining season.

I'm interested in seeing how the unions rebutted theses articles.

For those that understand the subject much better than I do, what are the factors that affect the our collective bargaining agreements (CBA)?

*Market Share (% of construction market that is union) is it like 12% in NYC?
*
*

What is Featherbedding?: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Featherbedding

Original CHARLES V. BAGLI article: "Civic Group Says That Concessions Are Needed From the Construction Unions"    http://nikit.co/uf

2nd Ave Sagas article: "With report, RPA wades into looming labor fights"   http://nikit.co/ug

"Union leaders say that the two primary authors, Julia Vitullo-Martin and Hope Cohen, are former Manhattan Institute conservatives who would prefer to see unions dismantled." they co-wrote the Regional Plan Association's “Construction Labor Costs in New York City — A Moment of Opportunity,”

Regional Plan Association's “Construction Labor Costs in New York City — A Moment of Opportunity,” report:  http://nikit.co/ur

Today they tagged teamed us on the the Post and Daily news:

* Julia Vitullo-Martin: "Union change or die NYC building trades in crisis"  http://nikit.co/up

* Hope Cohen: "The high price of union construction: Fix work rules or jobs will vanish"  http://nikit.co/uq

Please read articles and leave comments!!!!

Re: UNION - CHANGE OR DIE; Waging war against NYC Union Construction Workers?

Ted
Olga - First, great job speaking at the Rally. Second - this is not an attack on woman by any stretch and I hope you would not take it in that manner...third, I am glad to see younger people getting involved and willing to put the time in to research things and educate themselves in a positive & proactive manner.

Per your statement here:

Improving our union should take place the second the contracts are signed in order to improve our position for the next collective bargaining season.

The second the contracts are signed....that is too late. The Contractor Associations & the UBC are required to bargain in good faith and to impasse, not merely feign compliance and issue a contract as a fait accompli, a done deal without one bit of negotiation.

Given the overall state of the UBC, with no vote, mobility, merger & affilaition, consolidations, accretion issues and the fact that Doug McCarron, via illegal means, fraud and bad faith has all but destroyed the UBC - it is quite apparent that the so called Contract Negotiations are being conducted in bad faith, with the UBC & the Contractor Associations occupying the same side of the table at the alleged contract negotiations. Per NLRB Board precedent & Appellate & Supreme Court D & O's this is illegal.

Local autonomy has been illegally removed from the UBC Locals and we have no voice at the table because McCarron & the 38 surviving EST's rule by dictatorial regimes and autocratic fiat in utter disregard for the rule of law, the NLRA & countless state & federal laws. This fact does not even remotely or lightly touch upon the fraud upon the Pension, Annuity & Health & Welfare Funds and the countless other funds we are nickeled & dimed for and the criminal & chargeable RICO items therein.

As for opening up the books, whether for A/E Firms, CM's GC's etc - forget about it, that will never happen, lest jobs requiring payroll certification, or where a GC is a publicly traded firm and has to comply with SEC requirements. Even then you will never see the ultimate/final numbers as that material is trademarked and protected as confidential material. That is not where the fight lay.

Take the above items which McCarron has used to destroy member rights, mix that up with the current battle over Company Men vs. Hall men (brothers & sisters) and Doug will use this tool of divide & conquer to squelch any fight from the men, while they fight with each other. So far he has been fairly successful utilizing said strategy.

The NYCDCC is the remaining remnant, the last vestige of limited Democracy left within the UBC and this fact is only due to the Consent Decree. Make no mistake about it, McCarron is a thief, a mobster in a well tailored suit. He uses members monies to hire attorneys to end run the law in all 50-state at the District Court level through to the Appellate Courts. He finds the weakest court and targets a specific area of the country & continually shifts where he files suit. This includes the Appellate Court system as well....another words, he shops around for who he can target, bribe, payoff & push his agenda.

There is no bargaining or rationalizing with a Dictator - he will have no part of it. His arrogance & disdain for the working man or woman is readily evident in all of his policies.

The current practices of the UBC International and the Regional Councils is one of endless propaganda and brainwashing - period. The fact is, McCarron and his partners in crime need to go, to be ousted, to be removed from Office. They need to be brought up on criminal RICO charges for the massive fraud which has gone on now, unabated for 16+ years. He belnigs in the pokey, not Club Fed.

Twenty five years ago we had a membership base of 1.3M and today, we have a base of 473k per the latest filings with the DOL. Doug & his predecessor Sig Lucassen (another thief) are largely responsible for the overall decline, the rest being attributable to UBC Worker productivity and the means & methods for production, both in the shop & in the field.

With all due respect to RO Walsh, he is not a Construction Industry expert by any stretch of the imagination, and his holding of a workshop is nothing more than a vehicle for the UBC, BTEA & the Contractor Associations to intorduce their material which will be used to brainwash uneducated union brothers & sisters that they are the problem.

You are still quite young and relatively inexperineced in these matters. Your efforts are respected and commendable, but also warrant more time, seasoning & experience before you comment on areas and subjects where you have no experience. When you investigate things more and have more time and experience under your belt, you will then learn to ask the right questions and will not fear these so called authorities.

The current UBC operates as a one way street, a one way ticket....either you stand with them & support the propaganda machine or you don't. If you do, you may rise to some position of leadership, because they want yes man & yes woman. They do not lightly take to any form or manner of criticism, lest you be branded as a dissedent, a deranged commie & loner, branded a traitor and are soon brought up on charges.

There is enough factual evidence from the entire country regarding UBC practices and accordingly, the decision is an easy one....Doug McCarron and his entire Executive Board must go, the Right to Vote in Union Election via direct secret ballot elections must be restored nationally, mobility needs to go and the forced mergers, affiliation directives, consolidations and raping of entire Council assets (property, funds etc) must stop as does the trade raiding.

Should you align yourself with the criminal element & push their propaganda, you will lose any credibilty you have earned to date - your choice and some friendly advice. You have plenty of people here with hundreds of years of experience in the field as well as in management at all levels, so tap that knowledge base and be willing to listen to solid advice. When you do so, not only will you learn and be able to apply those lessons, you will earn the respect & trust of the rank & file....two key elements before running for any office at any level.

Point - when the kool-aid is being dispensed, take it with a grain of salt...know who the source is and exactly what it is they represent and whom they speak for. Given the advent of the Internet today and the amount of info out there....any one with a reasonable level of computer basics can produce material with others so called work product, claiming it is so, because we wrote it and we published it, so it must be so.

There are so many hacks in the business world who make their living off the backs of others, without producing a thing relevant to the real world, that it is sickening. Julia, this so called author did nothing more than her daily "job justification" minimum requirement by posting an article fraught with dribble which she cannot support or back up with hard numbers or facts.

Bottom line on her article...nothing more than a propaganda puff piece. The same people willing to sell you out & reduce your wage & benefits 25% would not do the same thing to themselves now would they? Union Tradesman & woman earn higher hourly wage rates due to the transitory & seasonal industry we work in. While the public may be led to believe that all Union people work 2000 - 2500 hours a year, the fact is we do not.

Here is a homework assignment for you OLGA:

Go tot the District Council and file a verbal or better yet a written request to the Executive Board and the Fund Attorneys and ask them for a breakdown of the Total Membership Body and the mean and average man-hours worked per man or woman. As for a Counci wide breakdown and then a Local by Local breakdown of the "real numbers".

Also, request a demographic breakdown by race, ethnicity, sex, age bracket in 5-year Intervals and include a column for vesting credits. No names or Socials or U-Numbers or any personal data required - simply hard numbers, audited number.

MAKE THE REQUEST AND SEE HOW COOPERATIVE THEY ARE. These are the kind of things you need to know before entering a Contract Negotiation. I guarantee you this, your request wil be denied, with a string of qualifications attached thereto. Should you get the data, all of it, I will eat my hat & vote for you as the EST and say I am not worthy, Olga Rules.

You will learn a lot from this simple exercise. Remember, one request to the NYCDCC & one to each Fund Attorney. Let me know how it goes or post on the blog.

Re: UNION - CHANGE OR DIE;

Olga Aguilar
Ted, no offense taken.

Your take on McCarron and the UBC has merit, you are not the first to make these points.  However, I have to say that we did have an opportunity to at least challenged the man 8 months ago and not a single soul had the courage.  Only 8 months ago!  I went to the convention on my own to see what it was all about.  I think the number of members that paid out of pocket are in the single digits.  Honestly is big pony show that everyone grumbles about underneath their breath, but no one publicly stands up against McCarron policies or vision.  What does this say to a young and inexperience member about the state of this union?

"With all due respect to RO Walsh, he is not a Construction Industry expert by any stretch of the imagination, and his holding of a workshop is nothing more than a vehicle for the UBC, BTEA & the Contractor Associations to introduce their material which will be used to brainwash uneducated union brothers & sisters that they are the problem."

Perhaps I confused you, but the RO did not have a workshop on this report.  He referenced the report to informed the members present about its existence and the need for more members to get involved with union issues.  The main subject was the apathy displayed by members and the need for us to get more members involved and informed.

"You are still quite young and relatively inexperineced in these matters. Your efforts are respected and commendable, but also warrant more time, seasoning & experience before you comment on areas and subjects where you have no experience. When you investigate things more and have more time and experience under your belt, you will then learn to ask the right questions and will not fear these so called authorities."

I think being a union member warrants me ASKING about these issues.  If you read my article, they are mainly questions than comments.  I make it very clear that I need to know more about the subject.  Where should I go to get these answers and what experiences do i need to have a better understanding of the issues to affect our CBAs?  If interest and desire are not enough, what is?  I don't why you think I fear anyone? Brother, my limited years in the union have been busy ones.   Spencer and Ballantyne know very well where I stand.  I don't fear them or anyone else.  I think the "assignments" are a positive start.  Those are questions that I would like to know and that I would find helpful.

I'm also a practical person Ted.  First things first: get the articles out to the members to read. Give them the background information. Educate them on the subject, ask questions and encourage positive discourse (like this one).  If members left hundreds of comments on the daily news and NY post sites and rebutted those "propaganda puff piece" articles that would be a positive start.

The undertaking of the leadership of the UBC is only a dream when you have a divided membership.  If 4.5  years is too long to wait, what can the everyday carpenter do?

P.S. "Improving our union should take place the second the contracts are signed in order to improve our position for the next collective bargaining season. "

"Improving our union" is an ongoing and important process.  Unfortunately right before our contracts are negotiated, it's a term that is used against us.  Like I pointed out to Lawrence D'erico when he said that OWL carpenters were unskilled. "if the union thinks this is an issue, why not tackled the issue 5 years ago" Why now? To give full mobility some legs? How unfortunate to hear a union leader speak that way.  We want our signatory contractors not only to compete, but to strive in the industry.  We know union labor makes a difference and we ask that we are compensated accordingly.

Thanks for responding.

Re: UNION - CHANGE OR DIE;

Ted and Olga: I enjoyed reading both your post, excellent work. Also I contacted Hope Cohen who is associate director of Regional Plan Association's Center for Urban Innovation and co-author, with Julia Vitullo-Martin, of the report on construction labor costs.  I was told the full report will be available on their website Monday, which I will post.

Re: UNION - CHANGE OR DIE;

Olga Aguilar
John, I got a copy from a broken link cache:

http://nikit.co/ur

Re: UNION - CHANGE OR DIE;

Olga - I was at the rally and you were one of the top speakers in my book. It was very obvious to me that you you can speak on the fly, from the heart, w/o a teleprompter and that you knew the issues.

I see you as a positive & uniting influence. Maybe you should consider a run on the Local level. Have you considered it?

No problem here with anyone asking questions. My assessment of RO Walsh's experience on the Industry as a whole is spot on. That however, does not mean I think what he is trying to do is all bad, but it must be tempered somewhat as McCarron has been at the game far longer, as have the Contractor Associations and collectively they are on the fast-track to force the BTEA plan down members throats.

The condition precedent for him to gain the kind of domineering control he is after is in forcing the bylaw changes upon you, which comport with caselaw he has in his back pocket. That is where the Local's lose their autonomy and power base to challenge the status-quo.

With McCarron and his ilk, its my way or the highway. The awakening of the masses, the rank & file has to be more than a one-sided proposition. To date, BTEA & the UBC have proffered nothing more than the chicken little, sky is falling mantra - and there is a method to their madness, particularlry if they can take advantage of the RO & sell him on their one-sided plan.

I have stated this time & again - so here goes again....review the UBC Constitution along side the NLRA and the existing Council Bylaws and once you note ready conflicts which go against public policy and the many varying laws, landmark cases etc. you shall readily discern where both the existing UBC documents run afoul of those laws as well as the ones now being proposed.

Court cases at the NLRB level, District  & Superior Courts, the Appellate level and through to the United States Supreme Court all rely upon and consider them as a whole, in part(s) and with deference to prior precedent. This is where the game is. Know that and you will go far as no one will be able to bamboozle you with half truths or outright lies. Our International excels at it and they exploit every weakness they can with our money, all of our money. Without the Locals, the 38 Regional Councils and the UBC International cease to exist.

Past recent behavior on Doug & Frank Spencer's part should give you great insight as to why you cannot believe a word they say, a claim they make or positions which they now are accelerating through Judge Berman.

I will guarantee you this much, when they raided the 33-Locals in Empire & Jersey & brought along a locksmith, he or she was not a union person. McCarron does nothing in the open and cannot for second be trusted, because it simply is not in him to do so.

With regard to the General Convention, do the exercise on the UBC doc's, NLRA & case-law (it's a long tedious process) and compare to the "at will employment contracts" with District Council Employees & Business Agents and it will explain their behavior at the convention....they don't to wthe line & spew the International rhetoric and propaganda - they're gone. Once the get in & see the fat checks 52 weeks a year & the 2 for 1 pension credits, none of them can say no, noen of them will say.

Re: UNION - CHANGE OR DIE;

Re: UNION - CHANGE OR DIE

Levi
  I have posted this before todays article came out but I hope it gets a fresh look. I'm on about this subject all the time and today I was ranting after reading this shit in the papers. I think this is relevant today so here it is.
    So the Building Trades Employers Association made public their agenda for lowering costs. As  usual the burden is on the tradespeople. They talk about lowering wages and benefits and many jobsite and shop concessions. But contractors must look in the mirror if they truly want to lower costs.
   How many times have we seen architects who draw ridiculous impossible details, or changes after something is built, or discrepancies between the prints and the field dimensions? How many times have we done things twice because of bad information? Or been held up due to poor coordination by a G.C., or because the job super is really just a job watcher without the knowledge or confidence to make a decision? How much wasted material have we seen due to estimator errors?
  How about architects, estimators and supers doing their jobs or bearing the burden of the high cost of construction? Take a field measurement once in a while, because when I work, I work and so do all the other tradespeople around me. If not, I'm gone.
    G.C.'s should consider going back to hiring carpenters as their job supers. Nobody is better suited for this position. The most knowledgeable and confident supers I know are carpenters and their jobs run smooth because they can catch a mistake before it costs a fortune to fix it. And then, the carpenter foreman can concentrate on his job without having to lay out everybody's work.
    And yes, union labor costs more. That's because we require fair wages and benefits, our skill and expertise is unmatched,as is our training and safety culture, and most importantly we are not part of the underground economy that can be exploited like so many undocumented workers in this city. We  pay  taxes.
   And don't imagine that when the cost of construction goes down developers will pass that savings on. They won't.

Re: UNION - CHANGE OR DIE;

A draft of the March 28th, report by the Regional Plan Association, "Construction Labor Cost in New York City" is posted here, courtesy of brother Bill Walsh.