The rising cost of construction

Levi
  So the Building Trades Employers Association made public their agenda for lowering costs. As  usual the burden is on the tradespeople. They talk about lowering wages and benefits and many jobsite and shop concessions. But contractors must look in the mirror if they truly want to lower costs.
   How many times have we seen architects who draw ridiculous impossible details, or changes after something is built, or discrepancies between the prints and the field dimensions? How many times have we done things twice because of bad information? Or been held up due to poor coordination by a G.C., or because the job super is really just a job watcher without the knowledge or confidence to make a decision? How much wasted material have we seen due to estimator errors?
  How about architects, estimators and supers doing their jobs or bearing the burden of the high cost of construction? Take a field measurement once in a while, because when I work, I work and so do all the other tradespeople around me. If not, I'm gone.
    G.C.'s should consider going back to hiring carpenters as their job supers. Nobody is better suited for this position. The most knowledgeable and confident supers I know are carpenters and their jobs run smooth because they can catch a mistake before it costs a fortune to fix it. And then, the carpenter foreman can concentrate on his job without having to lay out everybody's work.

Re: The rising cost of construction

Steward
"How many times have we seen architects who draw ridiculous impossible details, or changes after something is built, or discrepancies between the prints and the field dimensions? How many times have we done things twice because of bad information?"...
Years back GC's that did work for the SCA...would bid low on those jobs...because they new the city architects...would screw up on all aspects of the plans and on the changes...hammer the SCA to death..