The Rules of The Game

Norman
FOUNDATIONAL DOCUMENTS (various sources – consult professionals)
The basic governing documents for unincorporated organizations are constitutions, bylaws and rules. Courts will resolve ambiguities or conflict among the documents by looking at the context and intent of all of them. Procedures for operation and voting are defined in the governing documents unless trumped by law or found to “offend the conscience of the court”, be self serving or to not be a “regular business or managerial judgments” by a court of competent jurisdiction. (my comments: The personal wishes, desires and moral sense of the members are subservient to the governing documents and reasonable business decisions. Change the rules or change where you play. Read the documents and the law – than find a good lawyer.)
-
STRUCTURE OF AN ORGANIZATION (Robert’s Rules)
http://westsidetoastmasters.com/resources/roberts_rules/toc.html
http://westsidetoastmasters.com/resources/roberts_rules/chap1.html
There are basically two ways to structure an organization. One way is based on the authoritarian model, which favors the concentration of power in a leader or a small group of people who may or may not be responsible to the members. In the extreme form of this model, one person or a small group (such as a board of directors) may make all the decisions with no input or final approval from the membership.
The second way to structure an organization is based on the democratic model, which means that the people or the members govern. In the extreme form of this model, the members, not elected representatives, make all decisions. However, in most organizations, there is an agreed upon balance of power achieved between members and the officers they elect.
The democratic style of government is founded upon laws and the rights and responsibilities of all the members, not the whims of an unaccountable leadership. Abraham Lincoln defined democratic government as "government of the people, by the people, and for the people." An organization that has no rules or governing documents to establish a course of action eventually finds itself in a state of anarchy. In the words of Henry M. Robert, who wrote what we know today as Robert's Rules of Order, "Where there is no law, but every man does what is right in his own eyes, there is the least of real liberty."

CONSTITUTION AND BYLAWS
http://westsidetoastmasters.com/resources/roberts_rules/chap19.html
The constitution or bylaws are the rules of a society relating to itself as an organization, and not the parliamentary rules that it follows. Having a constitution and bylaws as separate documents is not necessary; one document suffices, generally referred to as the bylaws. The bylaws define the primary characteristics of the organization, how it operates, and the relation of the assembly and individual members to the organization as a whole. It contains those rules that the society deems so important they can't be changed without previous notice and a specified large majority.

Re: The Rules of The Game

Norman
We don't have to like the rules - We just have to play by them -
Learn the rules - Get a good lawyer, or two - Enforce the rules with a vengeance

Re: The Rules of The Game

Ethics
I must apologize directly to you Norman, for no one else here is allowed to cut and paste, or post links to other researched material, only you. Therefore please forgive me for also doing so, because you haven't granted me this privilege. Your benevolent wisdom supersedes all others, and under your direction alone, this union will be salvaged. ALL HAIL NORMAN!!

Re: The Rules of The Game

Norman
I'm a New York Carpenter
I've never claimed authorship
I'm not some teenaged terrorist looking to interfere with the work of union grownups

Re: The Rules of The Game

Ethics
You keep this up Norman, and I won't be putting new tennis balls on the front of your walker this weekend!

Re: The Rules of The Game

Ethics
Norman:
If you have a problem with me or anyone else on this forum, that is your problem. To call me names is very childish behavior. I am not a teenager, or a terrorist. If you would like to explain to me why other carpenters, no matter where they are from, do not have the right to engage the topics on this website, please do so for all eyes. It's the attitude like yours that have endangered the future of this union, for it directly portrays the unwillingness of all union carpenters in north America to come together in one direction, to put and end to the race to the bottom. Instead of trying to extricate others from participating in a wholehearted effort to empower the UBC members across the nation to make things right, try communicating outside your local to other like minded individuals to strengthen the ranks in the fight against tyranny. The situation would only improve, and as a membership, it might just get stronger for the effort, instead of possibly dissolving in the next 3 to 5 years. If it was not for the consent decree, your local, 157, would have likely been folded into the NERCC-
But as long as Berman and Walsh have their grip on the situation, it is unlikely to do anything but cost your local more millions and continue for another 25 years.

My direct email address is Ethics_157@outlook.com so you don't have to go through John Musumeci to contact me, like you claim others must do to contact you.

Re: The Rules of The Game

Norman
Carpenters union site - Not children's playground - Learn a skill - Grow up -

Re: The Rules of The Game

Ethics