The Health Care Benefits Will be Taken Away for Disabled Carpenters

The Health Care Benefits Will be Taken Away for Disabled Carpenters

Braciole
Since health care benefits for disabled carpenters are being taken away because they decided that they want to change the requirements for health insurance. I wonder why? And where is the money going?
We now must all get together & find every member that is going to lose their health insurance, if we can all stand up & have the current members stand up for us together we can win. At the town hall meeting that is at 8:00am & 11:00am (you can only attend one by their rules) we must all video tape the meetings & post them on youtube. We must all give each other a contact list, we must all go to our congressman, we must all post online & use social media, we should all chip in for a lawyer who will fight for us. Remember the older men fought for what we have & they take more away, soon there will be nothing for the current members & the generation after them. I gave all I had for this job and a chance to feed my wife & children, now they want to change the rules. First you give your health for a job & they want to take health care from your wife & children, what will they do to the current members when they decide to take more from them?

JPR

Re: The Health Care Benefits Will be Taken Away for Disabled Carpenters

JPR
The letter I received said the town hall meetings were Wednesday, February 17, 8:00am & 11:30am and Thursday, February 18, 8:00am & 11;30am

Re: The Health Care Benefits Will be Taken Away for Disabled Carpenters

Braciole
Awesome, Get your note books and lets all take each others info, so we can fight this. Try to bring a go pro camera and record all the meetings for our records. The Americans With Disability Act was founded 25 years ago!

Re: The Health Care Benefits Will be Taken Away for Disabled Carpenters

Greg
I just read this thread.... I also feel we all need to stand together as a union. Isn't that what unions are all about. Experienced workers in a safe working environment. Protected health benefits and decent wages. I started in 1992 with local 257. Got disabled in 2000. called  up the District Council. An ask what this letter was all about. They told me they changed the number that you need to be vested to be covered for health benefits after 16 years of being covered with retirement benefits they take it away. in 2000 when I got hurt they told me I was covered and they'll take care of me for the rest of my life now they turn their back on us.also they said you only worked 8 yrs before getting hurt..well if you put those 8 yrs plus the yrs hurt that's a total of 24 yrs paying dues and expecting the Brotherhood to back us up.

Re: The Health Care Benefits Will be Taken Away for Disabled Carpenters

Catherine Swain
You are right, where is this money going? They meet over lunch and decide it is a good idea to take away. From the people who have showed up in the heat and freezing weather to support the union for strike duty. They are fast  enough to take out the money vacation funds.What kind of example is set for future Carpenters? This is not what a union should be, this is not what it was. Maybe the rat should be in front of district council. Shame on you.

Re: The Health Care Benefits Will be Taken Away for Disabled Carpenters

viveto20
I was at the town meeting and I feel same as you, I am ready to join you and everybody else to fight for everything we work for.
NYC

Re: The Health Care Benefits Will be Taken Away for Disabled Carpenters

NYC
From the people who have showed up in the heat and freezing weather to support the union for strike duty.

There are more pleasant opportunities

 Maybe the rat should be in front of district council. Shame on you.

It was, ONCE!
slm

Re: The Health Care Benefits Will be Taken Away for Disabled Carpenters

slm
I e-mailed the Senators and anyone else I could think of to help bring awareness to what is happening. How can they take benefits away from the most vulnerable group. Where is the brotherhood in this/ Feeling very deserted......

Re: The Health Care Benefits Will be Taken Away for Disabled Carpenters

Ethics
Basically, you are only going to be covered if you are a district council employee who has faithfully served McCarron for at least twenty years continuously, and are white, and catholic, and already receiving three pensions.  Welcome to the 300 hitters club.
RDK

Has anyone got any feedback Mr. Mars the attorney? Any phone calls from him or his office ?
slm

I haven't heard back yet
JPR

I have not heard back from him either. Should we look at a different attorney?
RDK

I think we should because if you call an attorney and he doesn't return you call or reach out to you in way that makes you feel the same way the Union makes you feel, abandoned.  I think everyone affected should have a meeting and start doing something, pick a time and place, and agree on a law firm to represent us and then have a meeting with the agreed upon law firm
JPR

has anyone heard of this firm http://www.seegerweiss.com/new-york/  ? I will look up all their info and reviews. I like that they say they will respond within 24 hours and class action lawsuits seem to be their thing
slm

please keep us posted on this alternative law firm.
JPR

Re: The Health Care Benefits Will be Taken Away for Disabled Carpenters

JPR
I will
RDK

Re: The Health Care Benefits Will be Taken Away for Disabled Carpenters

RDK
 Valli Keane Vagini LLP are very good also.  They specialize in Civil Rights and Employment, class actions.  Matthew Berman is excellent there

Re: The Health Care Benefits Will be Taken Away for Disabled Carpenters

Catherine Swain
timr is running short lets get together

Re: The Health Care Benefits Will be Taken Away for Disabled Carpenters

Jerry
Hi  I am also a disabled retired carpenter losing my coverage as of June 2016!  Do you think a class action lawsuit can help?
JPR

Re: The Health Care Benefits Will be Taken Away for Disabled Carpenters

JPR
Seeger Weiss’ New York law firm called me today and we set up a phone consultation for this Friday. Feel free to to give me any questions to ask or suggestions.
123