The Election on Steve McInnis

Inwood Irish
First let thank all 4 of the candidates for putting their reputation on the line and running. Now we have a winner so let us all move forward and support our new President in these difficult times. There will be another election soon enough; that will be your time if you choose to either re-elect or pick someone else.
I have never seen our union so close to destruction and weakened in my 30 plus years in the union. Non-union companies are growing stronger every day, watching us fight and laughing all the way to the bank. Let me be clear The NYCDCC is doing a great job considering what they face, they are out there fighting the non union at every turn and we are indeed getting victories. Remember we have the government watching our every step. The non union operates with shady lawyers who are parasites.
Team work! Many of these victories came from the skills and the help of the allies of Steve McInnis; such as his help with the School Construction Authority, Mayoral Agencies and Dormitory Authority Labor Agreements which has lead to an 95% union market share in these project. Let me be very clear, many of these jobs were non union. Unscrupulous contractors have their ways of avoiding paying a fair wage. Which of course is a union wage!
In closing Ben Franklin may have said it best: "if we don't hang together we will be hung separately".

Re: The Election on Steve McInnis

an american who was born here
thomas paine said that quote

Re: The Election on Steve McInnis

Inwood Irish
An internet search will indeed show that Ben Franklin is given credit for that quote. However; Thomas Paine is worth noting.

Re: The Election on Steve McInnis

“Well, Gentlemen, we must now hang together, or we shall most assuredly hang separately.” — Benjamin Franklin, upon signing the Declaration of Independence – (according to John Hancock)

Re: The Election on Steve McInnis

Identified patient
Re: "Team work!"

Perhaps "Go Unity Team!" would me more, appropriate, considering the circumstances.

With Mike Bilello upholding the status quo, Council employees circled wagons around their new boss/patron; the election of McInnis as President has further entrenched the legacy of Mike Forde's administration.

Here's at least a partial list of Unity Team players still employed at the Council:

DC President, Political Director Steve McInnis

DC Vice President Mike Cavanaugh

Inspector General Scott Danielson

Ramadan Ibric IGO Investigator

Area Standards Director Edward McWilliams

Area Standards 'Special Projects' Director Dan Walcott

Grievances Director Paul Tyznar

Labor Technical College Director Elly Spicer

Civil Service Director William Lacy

DC Rep. Lead Manager Joe DiNapoli

DC Rep. Danny Dunbar
DC Rep. Chris Wallace
DC Rep. Thomas McKeon
DC Rep. Louis Rioux
DC Rep. Walter Clayton
DC Rep. Scott Belford
DC Rep. (Area Standards) Byron Schuler

(See Exhibit D: Unity Team campaign flier https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:gViURmnNhiMJ:franco1.info/08-cv-06959/08-cv-06959_020_15.pdf+&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESgkr4snxEjoeVD5HkoIShJqMauMI2uTPgZI0ZWdDizmEJOqQd7vESjy3zAYmcta-qSkuRLli1A7QuuqlPFYdLT02lADfje21R_ailHnK2z8J8nCvUNhp7PGNkV9FofJCWe9qFTC&sig=AHIEtbRBHjLRIQNPqDyVTrS6q4uUW89DOQ)

'Status quo is a Latin term meaning the current or existing state of affairs.[1] It is a commonly used form of the original Latin "statu quo" – literally "the state in which". To maintain the status quo is to keep the things the way they presently are. The related phrase status quo ante, literally "the state in which before", means "the state of affairs that existed previously".[2] The opposite of status quo is Anti-status quo - literally "refusing to compromise with the status quo."[3]'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_justification

System justification theory (SJT) is a scientific theory within social psychology that proposes people have a motivation to defend and justify the status quo, even when it may be disadvantageous to certain people. People have a psychological need to maintain stability and order in their lives. As such, they are motivated to see the status quo (or prevailing social, economic, and political norms) as good, legitimate, and desirable.

According to system justification theory, people not only want to hold favorable attitudes about themselves (ego-justification) and their own groups (group-justification), but they also want to hold favorable attitudes about the overarching social order (system-justification). In certain instances, system-justification motives override the other two motives, and result in outgroup favoritism and acceptance of inferiority among groups low in status (i.e. groups low on the social, political, and economic hierarchies). Consequences of this theory is that existing social, economic, and political arrangements tend to be preferred, alternatives to the status quo are disparaged, and inequality may be indirectly perpetuated.[1][2]'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groupthink

Groupthink is a psychological phenomenon that occurs within a group of people, in which the desire for harmony or conformity in the group results in an incorrect or deviant decision-making outcome. Group members try to minimize conflict and reach a consensus decision without critical evaluation of alternative ideas or viewpoints. Loyalty to the group requires individuals to avoid raising controversial issues or alternative solutions. The dysfunctional group dynamics produces an "illusion of invulnerabilty" (inflated certainty that the right decision has been made). The primary socially negative cost of groupthink is the loss of individual creativity, uniqueness, and independent thinking.

Re: The Election on Steve McInnis

AND AWAY WE GO
Hanging, more like an extinction.

Extinction is typically studied within the Pavlovian fear conditioning framework in which extinction refers to the reduction in a conditioned response (CR; e.g., fear response/freezing) when a conditioned stimulus (CS; e.g., neutral stimulus/light or tone) is repeatedly presented in the absence of the unconditioned stimulus (US; e.g., foot shock/loud noise) with which it has been previously paired.

The simplest explanation of extinction is that as the CS is presented without the aversive US, the animal gradually "unlearns"

In the operant conditioning paradigm, extinction refers to the decline of an operant response when it is no longer reinforced in the presence of its discriminative stimulus. Extinction is observed after withholding of reinforcement for a previously reinforced behavior which decreases the future probability of that behavior.

Presence of discriminitive stimulus=395

THE NYCDCC HAS "UNLEARNED" ITS MEMBERSHIP

Re: The Election on Steve McInnis

Brody Martin
If we are quoting perhaps my father said it best, as Tom Brokaw alluded to in his book " the greatest generation", a former WW2 marine and a member of this organization his entire working life. If you are looking for sympathy it is between " shit and syphilis " in the dictionary along with " a pat on the back is only 18" from a kick in the ass ". The election is over and all parties conducted themselves above board, if the rank and file is upset, then be upset with the dismal turnout. With the New Year approaching make an effort to get more involved and participate. Best wishes for a Very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and Holiday whatever your denomination. For all who voted our New Year resolution should be to bring a member to the next meeting. Goodnight to all, especially the candidates for whatever their reason, they extended themselves and tried to make a contribution and difference to our union.