Should I stay or should I go

Joel Cook
I have been sitting on the OWL since August 2009 that's 17 months, or 510 days, 12,240 hours, 734400 seconds.  In that time I have filed bankruptcy, lost an apartment and moved from NY back to Florida.  I have gotten fat, and battled depression.  I have burned up a pile of unemployment benefits and had three other jobs.  Two of those jobs were in auto sales and the third as a communications/office manager of a taxi company.

About two weeks ago I was sitting in my office at work listening to the most obnoxious bellhop bitch about one of my drivers, something I am usually good at dealing with but this guy.... Argg this guy pushed my buttons and honestly if I weren't getting paid to be nice I would have hung up on him.  In the middle of the conversation my cell phone rings "212" well everyone knows what that means, oh and no it was not about a softball game!  I ignore the first call, then about 3 hours later my phone rings again and I answer, I ask about the vacation hold and write all the details down about it.  So I haul ass back to my office and type up my request and fax it off.  I call the next day to confirm receipt and am told the hold is good until the 10th of February.  Here is the thing, I have a friend on the lower east side that can rent me a room for $600.00 a month which includes everything even internet.

But what do I do?  Do I leave my wife and children, drop this sort of halfway decent job buy a plain ticket and fly to NY?  When I get there what will be waiting for me?  Will I get more than my guaranteed 25 days?  When I get laid off will my unemployment be worth anything?

I honestly want nothing more than to strap on my tools, boots and hard hat and go back to work like a man and make something.  The problem is that I dont trust the carpenters union as far as I can throw it and I am reasonably certain that I will only get work because I am obligated to get it and when the 25 days are up I will be out on my ass again and in worse shape for trying to work in my trade.

Re: Should I stay or should I go

listman
Know you've been waiting for that call, and I also know you don't know what to do. I couldn't inagine being in your shoes Joel. ----- But I do constantly. --------Most of us do as to that 25 day thing. No doubt the list is still corrupt. There's been no overhaul to prove itthe status quo has changed.

But with the added complication of having to leave the wife & kids I truly ca't answer you.
What I can say is maybe you'd be employed for a small amount of time greater than 25 days. Not to mention getting a chance to meet with the group formed here in NYC, because we will be taking action.  There simply isn't any more time to waste and we'd love to have you as part of it.

25 days is 25 days when it comes to pension, annuity & welfare.

Or in the alternate are you involved with Hartley & Mcartney in orlando, members for democracy.
Or sign up down south and see what flies !

Good luck and keep us informed, A friend of Dans

Re: Should I stay or should I go

albert-mcguire1876
Of course you return to NYC, utilize the OWL, and get involved. It is the time to act and we need you.

Re: Should I stay or should I go

Joel Cook
Thanks, but I am not coming.  I will keep my shitty little job and attend ESC over the internet for a Bachelors in Labor Studies, then I will come back and do something good.

Re: Should I stay or should I go

hilti
what group are you talking about this owl doesnt work

Re: Should I stay or should I go

Your Name
neither does joel cook, in 17 months he has not been able to locate one past employer who will hire him, he has lost three other jobs, so obviously no one else wants him either, i say, stay where you are joel, we will manage fine without you.

Re: Should I stay or should I go

listman
"what group are you talking about this owl doesnt work"

I reposted what you replied to, where does it say that. Or are you incapable of making sense ?

Joe

Hey Joel... I just finished my 28th day and got laid off again. So I got 3 days more than the 25.That was working for 4 companies . 2 of the jobs were 1 day each. Now Iam 5000 on the list. I would stay down there until thing get better up here.
Joe

Re: Should I stay or should I go

Joel Cook
Sorry to hear that Joe...  I think by the end of the day I will be back at the back of the list as well.  Dont you just love how the timing works out though?  Just enough days so you go to the back of the list!

Again with the not using real names LOL... Your name, I have worked for two employers as a member of local 157.  I worked for one for only 3 days, I was at the UN and didn't have my picture license (I had the temp one because I had just moved from Fl and decided to xfer my license at the wrong time) so I couldn't get a pass from security, they laid me off.  Then I shaped a job and worked about 4 weeks, the job ended, they laid me off and asked me back two weeks later.  I worked another 5 weeks and they LAID EVERYONE BUT THEIR FOREMAN OFF.  I kept in contact with that employer for about a year, even after I moved back to Florida.  Mismanagement and a poor economy are why things are the way they are its not actually my fault!  But you can blame me if it makes you feel better, and honestly I am not the best or fastest but I am good and I really enjoy the work.

Re: Should I stay or should I go

Joel Cook
Well I have stayed...  I recently transferred my book to lu 627 which is cool because its where I started.  There really isnt any work here, half the membership has dropped out but there are some positive signs.  I am still at the taxi company getting exploited but whatever.  In August I will be quitting my job and going to school full time for welding, hopefully that will be the edge!

Re: Should I stay or should I go

listman
Get in touch w/ Doud Mcartney Carpenters fo rDemocracy there been an upsurge in activty on ways to win back our union.

Re: Should I stay or should I go

Joel Cook
Do you know how I can get a hold of him?