Shopping for surgery

Norman
We know how well our medical and dental plans serve our members,
and how concerned our benefits staff are for our well being.
I haven't finished researching this and similar organizations:
Medibids.com
(from an AARP link)
Perhaps starting our own cooperative referral group could make sense?

Shopping

Norman
I don’t know if we, as carpenters, should be the ones shopping?
Isn’t that why we hire experts and skilled professionals?
I can think of a list of reasons I’d rather have someone else shop for my care.
But, it’s my body and my life; who’s going to care more?
Group (co-op) shopping isn’t new, neither is bargaining with our combined numbers and dollars. Isn’t that what group health plans and insurance companies are supposed to be about?
No one at the council and funds is about to open their books and reveal who is really doing what with our money. So, what choices do we have?
This is the second 'self help' plan I've been looking into.
The decisions and possibilities are complicated; listing them and evaluating them does go on.
Perhaps we could build something that works in our best interests for a change. - Norman

Re: Shopping

Ethics
"Perhaps we"?

New dental plan

≠
Drive-thru dentistry

Re: New dental plan

retired shoppy
Somebody needs to look into the whole industry. Between the dentist, the insurance companies, and the union wheeler dealers, something is not right. When they have a list of fees that show the members responsibility being $200 for a certain proceedure, and the dentist adds 4 or 5 other proceedures to complete the one proceedure, it's a scam. They sell their plan one way, and rob you another way once you buy in. The good dentists dont use the DMO. Write to the state attorney general and ask that someone investigate these practices. If a inlay or a crown shows $200, then that is it, $200. We should know exactly what it's going to cost. When you go for a oil change, changing the timing belt isn't part of the proceedure.