Political Action Fund/"The Carpenters' Union Sell-Out"

Political Action Fund/"The Carpenters' Union Sell-Out"

anonymous
http://www.villagevoice.com/2010-08-04/columns/nyc-union-carpenter-michael-forde/
The Carpenters' Union Sell-Out
Carpenters' head cheats another generation of members
By Tom Robbins Wednesday, Aug 4 2010

He [Forde] won even more social acceptance by parlaying his union's political action fund into close ties with the state's top politicians. In the decade he ruled the District Council, the union poured more than $3 million into campaign war chests. He made a small army of carpenters available for working the polls and door-knocking for candidates. Politicians named Clinton, Pataki, and Spitzer were among those eagerly seeking and accepting his endorsement. Last summer, even as a grand jury was hearing witnesses against him, Forde embraced Michael Bloomberg at a union dinner, declaring his "great pleasure" at announcing the Council's endorsement of the mayor for re-election. His federal indictment came just five weeks later.

http://www.balconynewyork.com/documents/PAFvideoclips.htm#McInnis
At the same time, Steve McInnis, Political Director of the New York City District Council of Carpenters, pointed out that over 250 construction projects in New York City were now in distress because of the current recession.
Steve McInnis Presentation
"...on behalf of my boss Mike Forde"
(video clip, 1:08 minutes)
Port Authority Forum, June 18th, 2009

http://www.scribd.com/doc/22048802/10-15-UBC-Hearing-pg-1-200
Certified Transcript
Special Hearing on the New York
City & Vicinity District Council
of Carpenters
Javits Convention Center
October 15, 2009
Testimony - Michael Donnelly
pages: 132-

Another issue is the current PLAs that were put in place. They are created by the Drywall Association, company owners and Union Carpenter officials. These ideas were presented to the International and approved under the premise of economic recovery. These PLAs were cooked up by the indicted people. The New York City District Council of Carpenters was the only union in the city to cut its base pay for its employees with these PLAs.
This pay cut set back union carpenters in New York City back ten years, all right? These proposed locations where these PLAs would take place have now expanded throughout the entire city. Every contractor is filing for a PLA.
What, if anything, does the International plan to do to correct these pay cutting PLAs that were created by criminals, right, with the International's approval?
It's my understanding that business agents' and organizers' raises were tied to a percentage, that of the working carpenters got. How can you explain these raises? John Greany got a $20,000 raise. All right? These are -- these raises are from LM-2s between 2008 and 2009. John Greany got a $20,000 raise, Tom Costello got a $20,000 raise, Mike Murphy got a $16,000 raise, Steve McInnis a $12,000 raise, Ed Maudsley $11,000; John Daly, $10,000; Ron Rawald, $10,000; Brian Hates, $10,000; Maurice Leary, $13,000; Olaf Olsen, $11,000; Maria Sabater, $10,000; Andres Puerta, $21,000; Sal Zarzana, $16,000, and John Holt $13,000.
How are these anywhere in base with the raises that every carpenter out there got? How can you proceed giving these people people giving those kind of raises when they are asking the average carpenter working under the PLA to forfeit seven dollars an hour? These are the points that I just to bring to the international. I thank you for your time.

http://www.nycdistrictcouncil.com/index.php?id=92
The District Council PAC Committee - made up of the Executive Board, Executive Secretary Treasurer, President and Vice President - interviews and endorses candidates in Local, City, State and Federal races with Delegate Body Approval. In these races, we provide support both financially and through the Member Participation Program. These activities include leafleting, door-to-door canvassing, phone banking and rallies.

NYCDCC Directory
(printed 03/02/2011)
District Council
McInnis, Stephen 212-366-3366

Re: Political Action Fund/"The Carpenters' Union Sell-Out"

anonymous
http://nymag.com/news/intelligencer/39967/
Quinn Nailed by Carpenters
Calls off fund-raiser with union enemy.
    * By Geoffrey Gray
    * Published Oct 28, 2007

Christine Quinn isn’t yet officially running for mayor, but she’s already had to cancel a fund-raiser—a first for the City Council speaker’s nascent campaign. Quinn had planned a late-October event at the home of Donald Capoccia, a Republican-leaning developer who spreads contributions across the political spectrum and was one of the few openly gay members of Dubya’s transition team in 2000. But earlier this month, she abruptly called it off. The reason, her rep says, is a feud between Capoccia and the city’s carpenters’ union, which objects to the nonunion laborers he has hired for some of his projects. “He’s just a bottom-line guy,” says Steve McInnis, a union lobbyist who pressured Quinn to cancel the event. Capoccia isn’t offended. “The only thing that matters is that I have been a supporter of hers, and continue to be a supporter of hers,” he says. Records show that he’s already given Quinn $3,500 for a mayoral bid; her likely competitor in the Democratic primary, Anthony Weiner, got $1,000.

Re: Political Action Fund/"The Carpenters' Union Sell-Out"

anonymous
http://www.cityhallnews.com/newyork/print-article-1576-print.html?ref=nf
Tuesday, September 28,2010
Rising Stars 40 under 40
By City Hall

Steve McInnis
Political Director, New York City District Council of Carpenters
Age: 38
Steve McInnis grew up in a family of carpenters, so it was a foregone conclusion that he would stay close to them.

 The Valley Stream native headed all the way down to George Washington University, in Washington, D.C., for college, and returned to two options.

“When I got out of school, my dad told me, ‘You could be in the union or of the union,’ and I nearly broke my mother’s heart when I joined the carpenters’ union right out of college,” he said.

But he switched over to the union’s political side, and has stayed there for 12 years, brokering legislation to help the city’s carpenters fight for wage increases and medical benefits.

McInnis said working in a city where vertical growth and construction is a constant can be difficult. So when not advocating on behalf of the city’s 25,000 unionized carpenters, he has just enough time to spend with his children and wife. And baseball.

“I’m a big Yankees fan,” he said.

His most recent coup for the carpenters is a bill called the Fair Play Act , which grants the presumption of employee status for anyone on a construction site.

“The governor just signed that,” he said proudly.

How did past jobs get you to where you are now?
I think working as a union carpenter gave me a perspective of what carpenters’ needs and wants are. It helps me to stay focused on things that will only help them.

What will your business card say in five years?
“Steve McInnis, Carpenters’ Union.” I want to stay right where I am.

If you weren’t in politics, what would you be doing?
I’d probably be a social studies teacher. I like history, I like civics. But I also look like a cop, so I’d probably end up being a cop.

What is your spirit animal?
A bear

Re: Political Action Fund/"The Carpenters' Union Sell-Out"

anonymous
http://stage.cwe.org/carpenter/local-608.htm
Delegates
Maurice McGrath, Exec. Delegate
Michael Forde
John Greaney
Martin Devereaux
Maurice Leavy
Thomas McKeon
Joseph Calciano
Vincent Taddeo
Michael Harrington
Edward McWilliams
Joseph Firth
Steve McInnis
Frank Schiavone
Bill Lacey
James O'Reilly
Ron Rawald
Martin Lydon
Erik George
Thomas McHugh
Stephen Philbin

Re: Political Action Fund/"The Carpenters' Union Sell-Out"

anonymous
http://www.villagevoice.com/2009-08-11/columns/union-boss-michael-forde-a-bloomberg-ally-gets-hammered/
Union Boss Michael Forde, Gets Hammered
Handcuffs for a carpenters' union chief
By Tom Robbins Tuesday, Aug 11 2009

Seated near Forde in the row of defendants was his management counterpart, Joseph "Rudy" Olivieri, director of the Association of Wall-Ceiling & Carpentry Industries. The association negotiates labor agreements and holds frequent golf outings for union officials and contractors. An old-timer in mob circles, Olivieri used to pass messages for the Genovese family's late and legendary leader, Anthony "Fat Tony" Salerno. That's according to government memos submitted in the two-decade-old civil racketeering case that alleged back in 1990 that the carpenters' union was under the mob's thumb. More recently, a witness testified at a 2006 mob trial that Olivieri threatened to bring "a world of hurt" down on those who crossed him.

Glowering at the arraignments from the gallery was Steve McInnis, the carpenters' union political director, who helped arrange the Bloomberg endorsement. At City Hall, the mayor was asked about Forde's indictment. He had a ready answer: Guilt or innocence was up to the courts, he said. But he was still "thrilled" to have the union's endorsement because, "you know it's the men and women of the carpenters' union that have endorsed me." Actually, rank-and-file carpenters had no say in Mike Forde's pick in the mayoral race. That's not how things work in the top-down union. Nor were some members waiting for the courts to decide the latest charges. "We want them out, once and for all," as one local member put it in a message.

http://395h.com/_disc1/000001d6.htm
http://www.nycdistrictcouncil.com/index.php?id=92 Thursday, June 22, 2000 30-CENT DUES ON NYCDC MEMBERS NYCDC Delegate Body Meeting--The NYCDC called a special call meeting of the Delegate Body to consider a resolution for a proposed $0.30 an hour working dues payable to the District Council. The new dues would be on top of the 1% union assessment (see below) on hours worked the district council already collects. The district council would stand to gain an extra $6 million if it adopted the full 30-cent working dues resolution. NYCDC President Peter Thomassen addressed the Delegates and began to outline the proposed resolution for the $0.30 an hour working dues. “Times are good now”, President Thomassen stated, “and we need to plan for our future”. “The District Council must look long-term and move into the new century more powerful and stronger and become the premier labor union in the city. Without long-term planning we will jeopardize the future for our membership. Our plan will help secure a better future and will lead to more jobs, higher wages and better benefits for our membership”. President Thomassen proposed that $0.30 of the $1.16 raise the carpenters receive July 1, 2000 be allocated as follows: $0.05 will be dedicated to a political action committee or PAC fund. The NYCDC is planning to take an aggressive, proactive role in local politics and lobby elected officials to preserve and advance the accepted workplace and economic standards of the organized labor movement. The NYCDC intends to support labor friendly elected officials in their endeavors that benefit our collective interests. During the “restructuring” we retreated from political action and the results of it have damaged our Brotherhood. $0.05 will be dedicated to a communications fund. This will include the NYCDC newsletter and website. The communication fund will also include an educational public relations campaign to promote the NYCDCC to the general public and to the corporate world. The NYCDC interactive website can be utilized by the membership to check benefit hours, pension credits and print out medical forms, just to name a few. $0.20 will be dedicated for organizing. It was organizing that built our Union from the ground up. Organizing is our lifeblood. The NYCDC will embark on a serious campaign to organize the anti-union sector, which has grown like a cancer over the last few years. Along with the new mandatory union participation program, we will aggressively pursue the anti-union sector and their supporters to secure a better standard of living for our families in the future. The proposal was put to a vote under Section 21c of the District Council By-laws, and was overwhelmingly supported by the Delegate Body. EST Forde thanked the Delegates for their support and stated “we are going to be the biggest bunch of bastards in New York City to the non-union contractor, if we can organize 25% of the non-union work we will keep our members employed when times get slow”. Working Dues Update December 09, 2004 Delegates to District Council, Held On 12/09/04 for the purpose of considering a $250 per year increase in the working dues payable to the District Council. The Resolution was passed by delegate vote. Resolution WHEREAS, pursuant to Section 45C of the Constitution of the UBC and Section 21© of the By-Laws of the District Council of New York City and Vicinity a Notice of a Special Convention of the Council Delegates, dated November 3, 2004, was issued for the purpose of considering a $250 per year increase in the working dues payable to the District Council for all carpenters performing work in our jurisdiction during a calendar year, provided that the member who shall have satisfied his or her Union Participation requirement for the applicable year, pursuant to Section 21 (G) of the By-Laws, will receive a credit for the $250 working dues requirement, and WHEREAS, the topic having been duly introduced and discussed by the Delegates to the Council; now, it is hereby RESOLVED, Section 21 (A) of the By-Laws for the District Council of New York City and Vicinity is hereby amended to read as follows: Section 21 (A)- The Council shall receive working dues in the amount of 1% of the members total package rate as reflected in the current collective bargaining agreement covering members for each hour worked. The Council shall also receive working dues from each member of $.30 per hour worked. This $.30 will be allocated to Organizing in the amount of $.20 an hour, $.05 for Communications and $.05 for Civic Action. The working dues to this Council shall be due on the first day of the month and must be paid not later than the 15th day of the following month. Effective January 1, 2005, the Council shall also receive working dues of $250 per year from every carpenter who has performed carpentry work for a signatory contractor in our jurisdiction during the calendar year. This $250 working dues to the Council shall be due on the first of the month following the first day of work performed in our jurisdiction each year and must not be paid later than April 15th of the following year, provided however, that any member who shall have satisfied his or her Union Participation for the applicable year, pursuant to Section 21(G) of the By-Laws, will receive a credit for this $250 working dues requirement. Referendum Vote 1% Assessment In December of 1988 the membership of the New York City District Council voted on a referendum which ask for the elimination of the $0.15 assessment on hours worked to be replaced with a 1% assessment on hours you have worked.

Re: Political Action Fund/"The Carpenters' Union Sell-Out"

anonymous
http://395h.com/_disc1/000001d6.htm
(re-formatted version)
http://www.nycdistrictcouncil.com/index.php?id=92 (deleted)
[...]

Held On 12/09/2004 for the purpose of considering a $250 per year increase in the working dues payable to the District Council.

[...]

Ted
the $250 deal passed by the delegates is a "fine".....fines are illegal per the NLRB, regardless of what the NYCDCC calls them or how they disuise it. If every working member paid it - it would garner $6.25M per year, plus interest X how many years?

Where is the NYCDCC's accounting for said monies collected? What was done with the money collected? Where & how was it reported on the financial statements?

Re: Political Action Fund/"The Carpenters' Union Sell-Out"

anonymous
http://franco1.info/LM-2/LM-2_NYCDCC_2010.htm
FORM LM-2 LABOR ORGANIZATION ANNUAL REPORT
PERIOD COVERED
From 7/1/2009
Through 6/30/2010
CARPENTERS DISTRICT COUNCIL
NEW YORK CITY & VICINITY
FRANK SPENCER
395 HUDSON STREET

(A) Name: AUDRA   C   O'DONOVAN
(B) Title: COMMUNICATIONS REP
(C) Other Payer: None
(D) Gross Salary (before any deductions): $92,995
(E) Allowances Disbursed: $0
(F) Disbursements for Official Business: $21,043
(G) Other Disbursements not reported in (D) thru (F): $0
(H) TOTAL $114,038

Schedule 15
Representational Activities: 0%
Schedule 16
Political Activities and Lobbying: 80 %
Schedule 17
Contributions: 0%
Schedule 18
General Overhead: 0%
Schedule 19
Administration: 20 %

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/07/fashion/weddings/07DONO.html
Audra Donohue and Brian O'Donovan

Published: May 7, 2006

Audra Catherine-Marie Donohue, the daughter of Theresa O'Neill Donohue and John Chick Donohue of Bal Harbour, Fla., was married yesterday to Brian M. O'Donovan, a son of Mary O'Donovan of Kilcrohane, Ireland, and the late Pat Joe O'Donovan. Msgr. Edward M. Barry, a Roman Catholic priest, performed the ceremony at St. Barnabas Church in the Bronx, with Vincent Laurato, the deacon of St. Barnabas, taking part.

Mrs. O'Donovan, 30, is the director of communications at the New York City District Council of Carpenters in Manhattan. She graduated from Fordham and received a master's degree in social work from Columbia. She is also a chairwoman of the New York Friends of Ireland, a nonprofit organization in Manhattan that raises money for children in Ireland. Her father is the political and legislative director of Sandhogs Local 147, which represents tunnel workers in New York.

Mr. O'Donovan, 31, is the president and chief operating officer of the Hill Corporation, a real estate investment company in the Bronx. His mother manages the family dairy farm in Kilcrohane. His father was a farmer there.

http://www.eiic.org/new_who.html
Emerald Isle Immigrations Center
Who we are:
EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE 2007-08
Brian O’Dwyer, Esq. Chair
Biography & Web Site (dead link)
O'Dwyer & Bernstien, LLP http://www.odblaw.com/attorneys/bod.html

Board Member 2007-08
Chick Donohue

Re: Political Action Fund/"The Carpenters' Union Sell-Out"

anonymous
http://local157.blogspot.com/2007/11/immediate-release-to-all-union-members.html
UNITED BROTHERHOOD OF CARPENTERS AND JOINERS OF AMERICA NEW YORK DISTRICT COUNCIL OF CARPENTERS.
For Immediate Release November 26, 2007-- Over the last several weeks, the officers of the District Council have been presented with credible information, showing that some business representatives assigned to work in Local 157 were not performing their jobs in the manner expected of them by the District Council and that they had, in other respects, acted inconsistently with the standards expected of District Council employees. In response to this information, we interviewed those representatives to get their side of the story. After considering the matter, the Local 157 Business Manager and one Business Representative have resigned their employment by the District Council and from all Local 157 and District Council elected positions. Another Business Representative has been suspended and reassigned to work in another area. Another Business Representative was discharged.

To stabilize the governance of the Local and restore the service the Local 157 membership and all District Council carpenters working in that Local’s jurisdiction deserve, the District Council invoked the procedures of the UBC Constitution and asked General President Douglas McCarron to order an emergency, temporary supervision over the Local. Under our constitution, only General President McCarron has the authority to order such measures to protect the welfare of the Local and its members. On November 26, 2007, General President McCarron, acting on our petition, ordered an emergency supervision be imposed on Local 157. Mr. McCarron has appointed the UBC’s Eastern District Vice President Frank Spencer to lead this supervision and the District Council’s Executive Secretary-Treasurer, Mike Forde, as his first assistant supervisor, to oversee the orderly restoration of internal self-governance and the responsible management and conduct of the Local’s and the District Council’s business in Local 157.

The officers of the District Council thank General President McCarron for his prompt response to their request for assistance in this matter, and are committed to working with the UBC, the officers and members of Local 157, to ensure that the important tasks ahead of us are carried out with respect and honor for the rights and welfare of all our members.

Michael J. Forde- Executive Secretary Treasurer, Peter Thomassen- President, Denis Sheil- Vice President 395 Hudson Street New York, NY 10014. Contact: Audra Donohue (212) 366 – 7523

NYCDCC Directory
(printed 03/02/2011)
Communications
Donohue, Audra - Director: 212-366-7523

Re: Political Action Fund/"The Carpenters' Union Sell-Out"

I wrote that when I was a delegate to the council and ran the official Local 157 website. I am constantly impressed by the resourcefulness of our members.

Re: Political Action Fund/"The Carpenters' Union Sell-Out"

mugshot
Did McInnis get picked up for drunk driving in a Council vehicle?

Re: Political Action Fund/"The Carpenters' Union Sell-Out"

Daniel J. Franco

Yes. Years ago when Forde was EST.

On May 7, 2013 8:11 PM, "mugshot [via A Mobilized Membership Is An Irresistible Force]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Did McInnis get picked up for drunk driving in a Council vehicle?

To start a new topic under A Mobilized Membership Is An Irresistible Force, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from A Mobilized Membership Is An Irresistible Force, click here.
NAML

Re: Political Action Fund/"The Carpenters' Union Sell-Out"

John
Was he convicted of a crime for that or was it dismissed ?