Perspective From a Union Member's Family

Perspective From a Union Member's Family

Dreir
Before I begin, let me state that I have never been a member of a union, never paid dues, never been referred to as “brother”, and never been on strike.

With that said, I have also never had health insurance I did not have to pay for out of my direct salary, never had full transparency at work regarding salary rates, never had camaraderie in an office where we could depend on each other to stand against unfair practices perpetrated by management, and never had the opportunity to make such a strong and powerful statement with my brethren to show the great city of New York and the country that the men and women of the labor movement did not toil in vain.

As a proud wife of a union carpenter (Local Union #45), I gladly take responsibility for preparing a self-addressed-stamped-envelope and money order to pay my husband’s dues, wear a union pin on each of my winter coats, painstakingly research lunches to pack that can stay fresh sans refrigeration, and (assuming it’s a flattering color) wear the union pride shirts my husband brings home.

The wages and benefits my husband earned and the rates the union fought for afforded me the opportunity to pursue my dreams of a graduate degree without the burden of accompanying debt for education as well as the safety of health insurance.

If he were to compromise his principles and accept the defeat of a 20% pay cut among the other concessions, I would no longer think of him as the man I admire and who inspired me to want to change the corporate world I worked in to emulate the work force he was a part of.  The union benefits should represent a gold standard and if it tarnishes then the rest of the workforce falls with it.

New York City is a beacon of hope and innovation in the international community and union carpenters who have personally built this shining metropolis commit a gross injustice to Gotham and themselves by not standing with the principles their organization was founded upon and generations of their family fought for.

As the carpenters’ strike on July 2nd grows imminent, the decision to picket is made more difficult because of the weak economy that has forced the brotherhood to make concessions by exploiting the very devotion to hard work that is understood to accompany every union member.    There are many sacrifices that families will have to make in the event of a strike, but from a Black 47 song where I heard it best, “…better to die like a man on your feet, than a beggar on his knees…”

Labor omnia vincit

Samantha Desmond, wife of UBC Member Sean Desmond

Re: Perspective From a Union Member's Family

steve wolinsky
Samantha,
   Well spoken! Our dignity and pride can not be altered or go down in vain because of a evil man named Doug McCarron. We have all worked too hard for this foolish man to kill union labor as we know it in NYC and the rest of our country. Together we stand. Divided we fall. Its time for the real union men of our Carpenters Union to stand up and fight tooth and nail the evil from within!!

                                                                                     In Unity and Strength,
                                                                                     Steve Wolinsky

Re: Perspective From a Union Member's Family

Dreir
Thank you, Steve.  Couldn't have said it any better!

Hopefully the true tradesmen, who understand the principles and the history of the long and arduous labor movement in the U.S., can reclaim the union from the fair-weather workers and the cancerous leaders whose breadth of power grows out of latter's egregious ignorance and lack of passion.

All the best,
Sam Desmond
moe

Re: Perspective From a Union Member's Family

moe
I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT ABOUT THE STRIKE.I HAVE CALLED ABOUT 5X TODAY .NO ONE ANSWERS I LEAVE A MESSAGE NO CALL BACK .I GO ON LINE NOTHING IS POSTED. THESE ARE THE PEOPLE WHO WORK AND GET PAYED MY US .THIS IS FUCKING BULLSHIT

Re: Perspective From a Union Member's Family

Daniel J. Franco

Bilello stated at the Wed Jun 27 delegate meeting that the WC&C CBA has been extended another 30 days. Therefore, there will be no strike during this time.

On Jun 29, 2012 11:05 AM, "moe [via A Mobilized Membership Is An Irresistible Force]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT ABOUT THE STRIKE.I HAVE CALLED ABOUT 5X TODAY .NO ONE ANSWERS I LEAVE A MESSAGE NO CALL BACK .I GO ON LINE NOTHING IS POSTED. THESE ARE THE PEOPLE WHO WORK AND GET PAYED MY US .THIS IS FUCKING BULLSHIT

To start a new topic under A Mobilized Membership Is An Irresistible Force, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from A Mobilized Membership Is An Irresistible Force, click here.
NAML