PISS IN THE POOL

Pete
Something happened to our Union a few years ago that began to put a rift between members and grows today like a cancer. Political correctness has pissed in our talent pool.
Before non-carpenters, non-workers for that matter where allowed in, we were able to compete and win against non-union contractors. Simply put, we cannot any longer.
I had a conversation recently with a shopsteward that we where saddled with. Yes, saddled. Increasingly, this is a burden put upon legitimate contractors trying to do the right thing. I was reminicing a bit about when I was fortunate enough to be accepted into this great union. I needed a letter of intent to hire from a signatory contractor and I had to jump through hoops during an interview with all reps from the local. Than off to the school to do whatever was required at that time (it's been a while, details are fading). When I asked this "steward" what hoops she jumped through, I was dismayed to find she simply went to the Union and said, " I want to join". No experience at all she told me, already in her thirties at that time.
She could not perform ANY task up to standard. There where carpenters on the OWL I'm sure that will always work behind her because she took the steward classes that somehow make her hireable. She did not earn the right to represent this Union and the damage she and other men and/or women alike are doing is killing us. I wish I could say she is a rare exception, though that is not the case.
Nowadays, everything is fast track. What was a month is now a week, our hands are tied, we need to fix the rules to accomodate the times we are in. Only the strong can survive, we need to shed the dead weight.
If a job needs to be done in one week and the budget tight. A non-union contractor can put 5 company men and do the job no problem. A union contractor needs to do that same job with maybe 3 experienced mechanics and 2 blocks of wood. If they can use there own 5 union men and do the job on time and put 175 benefit hours in the bank and keep our reputation as the best choice for job, what is the harm? 2 or 3 men cannot continually keep pace with 5. We as a union cannot contiue to swim in the piss. We can't compete, we are killing ourselves. Blowing up our numbers only means more non qualified people to find work for, how does strengthen our position?

Re: PISSING ON WOMEN

albert-mcguire1876
You state that political correctness is the cause for dysfunction of "our Union", and cite an inadequately skilled shop steward you know. Coincidentally, the Carpenter happens to be a she, even though you acknowledge the problem of mechanics with insufficient skill transcends gender. But then you go on to categorize productivity as being accomplished by "men", not blocks of wood, or apparently, women. Do you agree that Black men, or Latinos, are under represented in this Union as woodworkers, Shop Stewards, Business Agents, and Administrative Officials? I'm just wondering if there are any Native Americans impersonating a Local Union Recording Secretary who need to be publicly exposed. We should have enough time to also discuss how racial defects keep the UBC from competitiveness. Especially with the womenfolk staying home to take care of all the domestic duties. Without unions where would blue collar white men be today? Ah; to be a pool boy for Reichsorganisationsleiter McCarron! But for now, Pete, pardon me-- I've to attend a burqa fitting for my daughter-- I'm sure you understand. ; )

Re: PISSING ON WOMEN

Pete
The Burqa for your daughter, I would imagine needs alot of material, if the size of her head is genetic.
The reference to "men"  incidently is generic. Correctness does not allow me to to refer to her as a "shopstewardess" so "men" it is. The truth is and this may offend, so, be prepared there are women, men, blacks, whites, asians and even native americans who are worth a shit. The point that you seem to miss through your bullshit rightousness is letting unskilled workers of ANY race or sex is bad for business no matter how good the intent. It is not fair practice to make a skilled carpenter go to the back of the list after 25 days because a shitty non-carpenter can go to work. It is a cancer and you are a tumor.

Re: PISSING ON WOMEN

tester
New Research: Blaming Others
Is Contagious

Ashley Merryman

"Scientists have identified a highly contagious virus, which we can only
stamp out together. No, this contagion is not another strain of flu or
spyware spreading from computer to computer.
It's blame. That's right, good-old-fashioned, it's-not-my-fault–she's-
responsible, point-the-finger-at-the-other-guy blame."

http://www.nurtureshock.com/Blame.pdf

Re: PISSING ON WOMEN

albert-mcguire1876
Flame on! For clarification: I do not support letting unskilled workers into the UBC, unless they are required to complete an apprenticeship. And obviously I know that there are women, etc. who are "worth a shit". The real issue is: just like bill lebo, you refer to individual women when pointing out the problem of inexperience in the union. There are obviously a lot more men than women who are under skilled mechanics in this union, but you choose to target a woman to argue your point. That seems pretty misogynistic for a member of an organization which has a glaringly disproportionate majority of men. Why are you so threatened? Are a handful of Sisters bringing down the entire Union, because of, allegedly, "saddling" contractors. Isn't affirmative action law? Wouldn't companies prefer a Sister who completed her trade apprenticeship, over a less skilled worker, to comply? And what about Forde and Greany? Are all the indictments and conviction the fault of women too. Was the Financial Crisis caused by the female gender? Most likely a group of coke snorting, golf bag toting, old boy's club honkey mo-fo's are to blame. Dig a little deeper and you'll find scores of company "men" who suffering from Stockholm Syndrome and defraud the union on a daily basis. Find a way to weed the unskilled from mechanic jobs, but give credit where credit is due: we already have a non mechanic business agent (his name is Paul Pietropaulo,) and there are loads more under skilled Carpenters who are men than women. So why do you "men" find the need to piss on women? Generally when I see a female on a job site the men are very appreciative and treat her with the respect due a sister.

Re: slackers

zzzzz
I think the real question is who is flaming who?
 You seem to be stuck on the wemon issue.
 The OWL and stewards who are not tradesmen are killing us.
I think we should at the very least, make it a 25 percent hall and 75 per cent company.
 We are simply carrying too much dead weight.
I would also be in favor of getting rid of any qualifications for steward, first hall guy is the steward.

Re: PISS IN THE POOL

Pete
What is with the women hang up? You seem to be really stressing the point, enough already. I just as easily could have picked any number of shit from the list. However, I would have been making up the story of my conversation with the steward. The conversation was the whole point, should I have lied and said that I was speaking to a "white male, between the age of 25 to 40"? What I wrote was the experience that I recently had and it happened to be a women. Get over the women thing, it is clearly more of an issue for you than me. Next time, insert your own discription, if that helps you swallow the "truth".
By the way, How'ed that Burqa thing work out?