Out of Towners?

1234 ... 17

Out of Towners?

Pete Corrigan
Can any of you guys tell me when NYC stopped enforcing the permit system for non NYC carpenters. It was my understanding that you used to have to pay and request a permit to work in NYC? Anybody on here remember?

Re: Out of Towners?

Steward
Yep,Out of towners had to get a permit from the DC in order to work..can't recall how long it was good for..think a week at a time

Re: Out of Towners?

Pete Corrigan
Thanks do you know if they had to pay any monetary fee to work?

Re: Out of Towners?

Steward
Yes...there was a fee..can't recall how much...minimal amout...think it was more of an annoyance
owl

Re: Out of Towners?

owl
local 7 and long island in general and new jersey are predjudice against city people. they frown on hiring us city guys. bad enough us owl guys have no connection and arent company men now we have to also be put second to jersey and long island. i was even told by  donaldson guy that donaldson doesnt like to even hire anybody from the city. i live in the city pay the taxes in the city i should come first since i put up with the crap in the city and i spend my money in the city. alot of these jew jersey guys and long island guys have never even lived in the city how did they become part of a city local.locals in l.i and n.j wouldnt give city guys union cards.how did these guys get city union cards. didnt jersey once try to poach jobs from the city not to long ago. ??

we need affirmitive action for us city guys. we come first

Re: Out of Towners?

EXACTLY
Why aren't members who actually live in the jurisdiction sent to work first? If contracts for jobs can be written with language stating a certain percentage of workers must be from a geographic area, why can't our CBA's be written the same way? All you out of towners would and should have to work in your own areas before being allowed to be a mamber of a local where you don't live. Doesn't anyone have a dictionary anymore? Please look up the word LOCAL and then get these damned out of towners back where they belong. This is the problem with our so called leadership for many years, that they have no interest in what happens here in NYC only in their asswipe towns in Jersey and Upstate and on LI. So many here talk of mobility, bot don't you see, Mac attack already gave this to us years ago when he allowed members of the jersey locals to work here with impunity. GO WORK WHERE YOU LIVE! GET OUT OF MY CITY all you who have no interest here. How can a guy be 157 when he lives in toms river or sullivan county? Aren't there locals in those places? JOBS FOR NY'ers FIRST, then the rest of you. Isn't that how it works in Jersey? Try getting work there, you'll be told OK, after all our guys are working. But they're working in NY. GET OUT!!!!! Go back where you came from and let NY'ers eat and pay their mortgages, which are much bigger than your puny jersey and upstate concerns.

Re: Out of Towners?

new jersey football fan
Dont forget the 100.00 city tax per 40 hr. week

Re: Out of Towners?

housing resident
It seem thatif you live in nyc public housing you can get off the list sooner than a homeowner who pays nyc real estate taxes. Housing residency is now a certified skill. Everyone goes ahead of the nyc carpenter who pays nyc real estate taxes. What a joke. How many of the out of towners go ahead of the asshole who actually lives & pays taxes here ? Can I sign that LI or JERSEY list. Fuck these new guys in our council also ! FUCK YOU

Re: Out of Towners?

BKLYN
Just my point...if our cba's can put housing project dwellers ahead of others, why shouldn't ALL NYC residents come first in our upcoming contracts? Frankie, Johnny, are you listening? Please, we need more feedback from NY'ers. Is it fair we don't go out to work first as the people who actually pay all the taxes to keep this city going? Where are you Moose, Billelo, Arana ,Lebo...are you or are you not against mobility? Prove it by calling for NYC residents to get work first, because this is the core of the mobility fight. We lost when we allowed all these Jersey companies to do what they want and now Mac wants it to spread. Fuck That Noise!!! Where are you our self annointed leaders? Lets hear you. What say you pseudo leaders?

Re: Out of Towners?

steward
They don't pay dues here take there pension money back to there local lot of man hours lost in our pension.

Re: Out of Towners?

BKLYN
You know brother I don't just mean those in out of town locals, I mean members of our locals who dont and have never lived in NYC. I know it sounds radical, but the more you think of it the more sense it really makes. Politically correct? Probably not. But being rational and making sense usually aren't PC. Why would someone join a LOCAL nowhere near home and not build up or create new LOCALS in their own areas? I dont understand. I would never join a local in Jersey. It just doesn't make sense. Or LI or Upstate. Work where you live. More opinions please, I think this is really important and is the core of the mobility issue.

Re: Out of Towners?

Cleaner at PA bus terminal
I am also told Im an asshole for paying nyc tax by Jersey guys who piss near the PA bus terminal on their way home to their fat wives. Out of towners have no concern for NYC except for NYC $$$. This is the way it is for these leaches.

Re: Out of Towners?

I R S is watching
Look all over the city + you will see non resident  carpenters on the jobs. You can only have one book at a time + the non residents now choose to hold nyc book. Any way you look at it this is not in the intrests of the 5 borough carpenter. Many jobs + books are in the hands of non residents. Remember this when your mommy or daddy is no longer employed. Are you for full mobility ? How do you feel that alot of the reps at the dc dont pay nyc residence tax ? ARE YOU FOR FULL MOBILITY ?

Re: Out of Towners?

anonymous
I guess you could say I just lost my health coverage to a out of towner April 1

Re: Out of Towners?

taxed out
This issue is going to be front & center with Walsh. The time has come for out of state residents to hold a union card where they reside. Are you for full mobility ? Out of towners go home.

Re: Out of Towners?

Levi
What's next BKLN? You can only work on the east side? Or the west? Or from Fifth to Madison between 42nd and 43rd. I paid my dues in more ways than one and have earned the right to work in NYC. I'm 157 and former 608 and you can work in NYNY any time, no problem. I'd be surprised if you've never worked outside of Brooklyn, where you live

Re: Out of Towners?

5 borough resident
5 Borough city tax is listed as local tax on my check. What is the definition of an out of towner? It seems that any out of towner doesn't pay local tax. Isn't this full mobility ? It seems to me that a non resident is for full mobility. It also is quite apparent that the 5 borough resident will be taking this to the IRS for review. Non residents must realize the carpenter who pays 5 borough tax is being taken advantage of. Dont get too comfortable non tax paying residents because we resident carpenters are not sitting pat on this issue. Once again, Are you for full mobility ?

Re: Out of Towners?

BKLYN
Levi, I have only twice taken work outside of the 5 boroughs and only twice worked in the bronx and twice in queens in 14 years. You see thats my locals jurisdiction, all 5 boros, up north, (shouldn't be) LI (shouldn't be). Our jurisdiction spreads way too far and was only put together to appease criminals years ago, and to bring the dues money under the control of the crooks. If you live in Jersey, a whole other fucking state by the way, you should be in a Jersey local, upstate and LI the same. NYC is my home ,UNDERSTAND? NYC    we don't have meaningless little towns and their attendant scumbag power grabbers, we in NYC are ONE. You people kept all your little divided towns, that not my business. Thats why taxes are so high out there, because you all have your own little school systems and mayors and what not when you would be better served by consolidating these services and make yourselves one just like Rye and Ryebrook are considering as we speak. LI is a whole other jurisdiction as is upstate NY. If you live there work there. We need the UBC to start floorcoverer, timbermen, and dockie locals in those places or at least a separate entity in jersey attached to the jersey DC. But they favor consolidation of jursidictions. Levi, are you saying you're for mobility, because thats just what people not working where they live is. Or they should make LI part of the NYDCC and tell all those scumbags out there who scream and threaten if we come out there to work to shut the fuck up. Ever try to get work on LI Levi with a NYC card? Or Jersey? I ask again, why would you not want to better the working conditions where you live? If you're so gung ho union then go back to your home and be proud of it.

Re: Out of Towners?

Levi
BKLN,
 You say the only people who should work in NYC are people who live in the 5 boroughs. I disagree on the grounds that this is a brotherhood and any member should be able to work within the jurisdiction. I live well within the NYCDCC jurisdiction but I hold no grudges against brothers and sisters who don't. I have never worked outside of that jurisdiction either.
   Don't misunderstand the meaning of full mobility as it pertains to our contract negotiations. It has nothing to do with where you live. It means that a contractor can move his crew from job to job and only the steward is from the hall. I am against full mobility.
   Your issue about out of towners is more political than union related, with commuter tax ramifications. I have no problem with that. NYC is my union's jurisdiction, I am proud of it and I am here to stay.UNDERSTAND?

Re: Out of Towners?

5 borough guy
Can we stop paying the tax ?  An out of towner is an out of towner. Your entitled to nothing + soon the courts will prove it. We choose to live and work in the 5 boroughs. We choose not to live + pay taxes in smelly JERSEY, LI or anywhere else in US. Should I have a say in someone else's area when I dont pay taxes there ? I think not. Guys who live out of state + hold nyc cards are all the same. Face it,you guys who say your against full mobility except for your boundry states. Regardless what nycdcc + Berman do we 5 borough are filing multiple lawsuits. We will prevail so dont get too comfortable.
1234 ... 17