Mike Conner ineligible to run in LU 157 Election?

Mike Conner ineligible to run in LU 157 Election?

skeleton key
I just read Gausman's letter, in the article below, disqualifying Bill Walsh, and noticed that it is cc:ed to Michael Connor, Recording Secretary.

Aren't candidates supposed to resign their positions if running for another office? I don't remember Conner stepping down before accepting his nomination to be Vice President, and according to the letter from Gausman to Walsh, Conner is officially still Recording Secretary for the Local.

Gausman say's his main concern is for upholding the Constitution!

These guys look like con-artists

Re: Mike Conner ineligible to run in LU 157 Election?

carp 157
more like con-carpenters for con-carpenters slate. Who nominated this group? I am with the membeshipvoice 157 slate.
cfc

Re: Mike Conner ineligible to run in LU 157 Election?

cfc
How did these guys last as long as they have. My guess is ass kissing first, and if that doesn't work, deceit and any unscrupulous act, to get to them to their destination.

Re: Mike Conner ineligible to run in LU 157 Election?

Duhh
Section (32)B "When vacancies occur in any elective office of a local union or in the position of delegate to a council from a local union, the President of the local union may appoint a qualified member to fill the vacancy pro tem, until such time as an election is held to fill the vacancy."

Re: Mike Conner ineligible to run in LU 157 Election?

Frankie Full Mobility
Biello nominated Gerrys Gang

Re: Mike Conner ineligible to run in LU 157 Election?

Udecide
31.A The officers of a Local Union shall be a President, Vice President, Recording Secretary, Financial Secretary, Treasurer, Conductor, Warden and three Trustees. The officers shall constitute the Executive Committee of the Local Union. A Business Representative who is not a member of the Executive Committee shall attend the meetings of the Executive Committee with voice but without vote. No member may hold more than one office or be a candidate for more than one office in a regular election, in the same subordinate body, unless dispensation to combine the two offices has been granted by the General President. The offices of Financial Secretary and Treasurer may also be combined by a properly adopted Bylaw of the Local Union that has been approved by the General Vice President. In elections held to fill vacancies, a member who holds an office must resign said office in writing before accepting nomination as a candidate for another office in the same subordinate body (unless the offices are combined by dispensation) and all existing vacancies, including those left by such resignations, shall be filled by the same nominations and election. Neither the President, Treasurer, Financial Secretary nor Recording Secretary can act as Trustee.

32.B When vacancies occur in any elective office of a Local Union or in the position of delegate to a Council from a Local Union, the President of the Local Union may appoint a qualified member to a fill the vacancy pro tem, until such time as an election is held to fill the vacancy. When a vacancy occurs in any elective office of a Council, the Executive Secretary-Treasurer of the Council may appoint a qualified member to fill the vacancy pro tem, until such time as an election is held to fill the vacancy. If no Executive Secretary-Treasurer position exists or such position is vacant, the President of the Council may make such pro-tem appointment.

Re: Mike Conner ineligible to run in LU 157 Election?

Jack Meoff
Carpenters for morons, Nominated by the biggest sell out moron in history of the Carpenters union! Peter J McGuire is rolling over in his grave. If Gene Hanley hadn't passed already, Bilello being EST would have definitely have killed him. RIP Gene

Re: Mike Conner ineligible to run in LU 157 Election?

The Shadow
The specific language pertaining to this matter is:

31.A "In elections held to fill vacancies, a member who holds an office must resign said office in writing before accepting nomination as a candidate for another office in the same subordinate body".

32.B "When vacancies occur in any elective office of a Local Union or in the position of delegate to a Council from a Local Union, the President of the Local Union may appoint a qualified member to a fill the vacancy pro tem, until such time as an election is held to fill the vacancy."

From Merriam-Webster Dictionary:

Definition of PRO TEMPORE

: for the time being

Mike Connor is LU 157 Recording Secretary, he holds that office 'for the time being.'

However; he also accepted a nomination to run for Vice-President, in violation of 31.A: "a member who holds an office must resign said office in writing before accepting nomination as a candidate for another office in the same subordinate body".

If Connor had properly resigned, Gausman would have been required to appoint a qualified LU 157 Member to fill that vacancy pro tem-- without violating the Constitution, or embroiling the election in controversy.

From Aesop's Fables:

 THE DOG, THE MEAT AND THE REFLECTION

A dog seized some meat from the butcher shop and ran away with it until he came to a river. When the dog was crossing the river, he saw the reflection of the meat in the water, and it seemed much larger than the meat he was carrying. He dropped his own piece of meat in order to try to snatch at the reflection. When the reflection disappeared, the dog went to grab the meat he had dropped but he was not able to find it anywhere, since a passing raven had immediately snatched the meat and gobbled it up. The dog lamented his sorry condition and said, 'Woe is me! I foolishly abandoned what I had in order to grab at a phantom, and thus I ended up losing both that phantom and what I had to begin with.'

If powers that be rule Mike Connor eligible, such decision remains unjustified, and  divisive-- well beyond any electoral outcome.