Is NYCDCC a real union anymore?

Karl
Is NYCDCC a real union anymore? I have a brother inlaw that works for Verizon and I have to tell you they fight for their members. Verizon is the company the members work for and the union is the one that fights Verizon to make sure the union members get fair wages, medical, vacation and  their rights are protected. A union should be an adversary to the company. With us it feels like the NYCDD is our company and I need to join a union to protect me from them. The NYCDD has gotten too big and if members are not happy with anything they have no power to fight. Just look at what the union did to our disabled retirees a few months ago. Any union worth its salt would have fought tooth and nail with a company that would try to do that to its members but sadly in our case our union is our company that profits from members losing medical.