Forum

Pat Nee
Things which came up at the forum.
1. Contracts to be looked at supposedly to look at the practicality of  council employees who are found guilty of corruption forfeiting their pensions in the future.
2. Apparently there are some in local 157 who want the UBC involved in the inner workings of local 157. According to Ballantyne, some members asked him to step in and make sure that all past motions are addressed.
Ballantyne stated he would not act unless contacted by the Recording Secretary.
3. Locals are powerless entities whose only function is to collect dues.
4. Ballantyne has balls. I have to give this man credit, as much as I loathe the UBC, Ballantyne earned my respect for standing up there and not backing down.
5. New Jersey locals are now to accept NY members on their OWL with the same rights as NJ members.
Too little too late on this in my opinion.
6. Apparently neither Ballantyne nor Walsh can explain what exactly full mobility means. It apparently means different things in different situations, much like our constitution.

Re: Forum

listman
4. Ballantyne has balls. I have to give this man credit, as much as I loathe the UBC, Ballantyne earned my respect for standing up there and not backing down.

Not good you said that !

Re: Forum

Pat Nee
I think you have to give credit where credit is due.
 I sat at that forum and listened to Ballantyne, I was shocked by some of the things he said. I felt that he did try and be honest in his answers.
I am not saying that I agree with him on many of the issues.
There were some issues like the school  and the NJ OWL  that I felt he was diametrically opposed to what I think.
But he did stand his ground on many issues and expressed his own opinions, what ever else, he showed balls in my opinion.

Re: Forum

Donny Arana
He certainly has balls coming into this town thinking we were going to roll over and drink the kool-aid, I think not. Mistakenly they have awoken the sleeping GIANT.

Re: Forum

Re: Forum

Levi
Balls or not, I'm not a fan of the double talking John Ballantyne. He toes the line for the UBC and cares nothing about the NYC carpenter. He says he is for whatever puts carpenters to work, but there are many things that could put us to work that we, as a union, can never live with. For example, a drastic pay cut or giving the Building Trades Employers Association every single thing on their wish list would put us to work. But we are a trade union so we cannot give away things our predecessors fought for. Also try to look past the bullshit to the notion that the UBC doesn't care who does this work as long as he/she is a UBC member.But as members of the NYCDCC we need to make sure that the work in our geographic jurisdictions is performed by us. We owe that to ourselves and the people who come after us.
   Another thing I dislike is Ballantyne's cavalier way of talking about things like full mobility, removing the consent decree, moving our school or dissolving an iconic local as if they were ok. They're not ok.
  Let's not forget that on March 30 he agreed with Brother Greg Kelty that the UBC stood by while Forde was destroying the NYCDCC and he had the balls to say we were all there too, as if it was our fault. He needs to be reminded that we were busy working while they were supposed to be supervising.They  gave him credibility. But shame on us for trusting them.
    The UBC conducts business with no conscience, and at least for now John Ballantyne is their guy. Not our guy. The sooner we can scrape him off our shoes, the better.

Re: Forum

Tomas Pain
I like and respect John Ballantyne.  He is genuinely a good union man.  BUT he works for Doug McCarron and we all know the down side to that.  But on a personal level, he is approachable and respectful.

Re: Forum

Richard Dorrough
March 30 he agreed with Brother Greg Kelty that the UBC stood by while Forde was destroying the NYCDCC

Can you elaborate on this

Re: Forum

New Jersey P.B.A.
It doesn't matter what JB says or does because Mcarron has an agenda that goes much deeper than anyone he puts in as his puppet. In Mcarron's master plan as long as the members dont storm the nycdcc JB is doing a good job. I know this for sure though, he hates this website. FUCK YOU Mcarron you're going down. You will soon see your ass out.

Re: Forum

Pat Nee
I agree with you, I agree with everything you wrote. What I am comparing Ballantyne to is Spencer.
The UBC is conducting a guerrilla style campaign which leaves members reeling, not knowing what is going to be attacked next.
Spencer has for the duration of this Trusteeship lied to any member who met with him in person and made it a policy to never put anything in writing.
Anyone who tried to work with Spencer knows that he is not there for NYC members. He will not address your concerns or give more than lip service to your ideas.
So, in my opinion, Ballantyne is better, the bar is set so low by Spencer that a one legged rabbit with arthritis would easily clear it, but nonetheless, at least it is an improvement.
I realize that Ballantyne waited until I left the room during the first forum before trying to make a case for the UBC position.
I realize that any concessions to accepting that the UBC has done poorly by NYC members is a day late and a dollar short, I am simply saying that Ballantyne is the equal of any one legged rabbit with arthritis when compared to Spencer.
I think that Spencer is a lying, thieving scumbag   who wilts at the first sign of opposition.
Do I think that Ballantyne would not be there if not for Walsh? Yes.
Do I think that Spencer is throwing Ballantyne under the bus? Yes.
Remember that the wilting violet Spencer has ran away and left everything in Ballantynes lap, that he has been unavailable since the last forum when members showed him that it is easy to make the case that Spencer is an asshole.
I long ago reached the point where I formed the opinion that the most important thing in this trusteeship is to limit the damage from the UBC to us.
I know that Ballantyne is the first UBC officer I have ever heard admitting that locals have been reduced to dues collection agencies.

Re: Forum

listman

"I know that Ballantyne is the first UBC officer I have ever heard admitting that locals have been reduced to dues collection agencies."

------THIS  IS WHY YOU LIKE HIM--------C'MON ADMIT IT !

Re: Forum

Pat Nee
Am I  missing something here?
Do you support the current set up?
Would you please explain to me the benefit members receive from belonging to a local which is nothing more than a social club?
I am sorry but I have to disagree with you. I am not really interested in rehashing why a powerless local is a bad thing. I have gone through it enough times already.
To date you would be the second person to my knowledge who has declared a desire to belong to a powerless local and  the other person has been shown to be an idiot.

Re: Forum

Pat Nee
Why didn't you say this at the forum? All I remember from you was some silly story about your kids sharing jelly beans.
It seems to me that if that was all you had to offer, you should think about trying to knock those who did manage to ask some real questions at the forum.

Re: Forum

Pat Nee
If anyone was listening at the forum, Ballantyne said this.
He stated that while he had no problem with members being allowed to ratify our contract that Spencer and McCarron were not going to allow this.

Re: Forum

608 member
were you a shop steward for on-par?

Re: Forum

listman
Was gum pay attention

Re: Forum

Donny Arana
 608 Member:That is the 64,000 dollar question that everybody is talking about. This one may not be answered to quickly.

Re: Forum

Pat Nee
No, I was never a shop steward for On Par.

Re: Forum

Pat Nee
Perhaps you should get your head out of the gutter and deal with real facts.
Let me let you in on a little secret Donny, just because you read something on the computer, does not make it true.
Now, please keep me out of any games going on with you and your pet  idiot.

Re: Forum

Donny Arana
Let me let you in on a little secret Pat ,if you answered the question "no" it would put this rumor to rest. Whitch would be a good thing.
12