For your Consideration. Reality in negotiations.

For your Consideration. Reality in negotiations.

Bill Walsh
The first thing contractors want to do is make us work for less money, work PLA's and cut our benefits in the busiest time I have seen in 31 years. They always blame the labor force is the problem. How about hiring guys like this unappreciated skin tag for their work force. No wait, this is the tip of the iceberg. How about all the college grown job supers who couldn't put a nail into a bar of soap, and tell you how to practice your craft? How about the Architects who dream everything is possible and redo a job four times? The G.C. Doesn't want the client know they messed up and in the end, blame it on the workers. Safety and rushing jobs, trades working on top of each other, wasted materials, insurance and in the end they blame Unions. Our leaders need to cut the crap and stand up for the workers in this city. If they hire people who have bad attitudes towards organized labor and unappreciative of their Union pensions to be security guards at their million dollar investments, well what about who's working on the inside?

Strength in Solidarity.

Re: For your Consideration. Reality in negotiations.

Bill Walsh
With contract negotiation started, it may be prudent for us to look at some of the real problems on job sites around New York City and what the real issues are.

The contractors must start to own up to their incompetence and financial loses on job sites. They mismanage many jobs and turn to union labor, as usual, to make up the difference from their ineptitude. They have many “open windows” hiring naïve supers with no experience in construction, extraordinary waste of materials and cutting safety issues to save time, for starters.

This article http://www.constructiondive.com/news/how-pull-planning-can-streamline-project-schedules-encourage-collaboration/440809/ Dive article suggests options as leverage to deliberate during negotiations, using technology in our favor. Let’s try to turn the tables on the Building Trades and our “Leaders” who are trying to advocate our membership is doing something wrong and make concessions. We are the most skilled, productive workers that money can buy, building N.Y.C. for over one hundred years. We deserve and are depending on every penny we “earn”. This should matter be of paramount concern.

A “No Strike” clause and eliminating the “Vacation Check” is a no starter for me. The abolishing of “Vacation Check” has already been implemented in the NERC and I believe they would like to get the Internationals ideals here in New York City.

That would be an insulting 12% cut, when we should be getting raises and our medical benefits back to where they were. It has never been as busy and profitable for contractors as it is today. If we give in now, what will we have to negotiate when the industry and economy slow down, as we know it will?

Re: For your Consideration. Reality in negotiations.

steward
Stand up for the men.we all do our part.We do a honest days work with good production.no shortcuts,just our blood,sweat and tears.We all take our craft seriously and stand behind our work and production 100 percent.nothing is never enough.Contractors always cry poverty,but with out our members hard days work,we always get the job done on time and under budget,also safety is always held to the highest standard.Our union members are proud union craftsmen that build nyc and the surronding bououghs.i hope the contractors realize,without good union craftsmen,which are the best in the industry,we would all be open shop.Good luck to our new contract and good luck to all the union carpenters who work hard to put money back into the benefit fund,and also thank you to the contractors who all contribute into the funds.our real problems is what is going on with all the nonunion out there.alot of open shop is going on on jobs,it is a big problem that has to be stopped.All members should call nonunion jobs in,keep our organizers and business agents busy by investigating and hopefully getting more jobs union.good luck to everyone.stay active and stay strong and vigilialent about what is going on today.in solidarity,a good steward who is concerned.

Re: For your Consideration. Reality in negotiations.

no mo pla,s
billy your spot on buddy .

Re: For your Consideration. Reality in negotiations.

Mr. Walsh - NERCC (The New England Regional Council of Carpenters) has not eliminated the Vacation check fyi.

Did you perhaps mean the NRCC (Northeast Regional Council of Carpenters)? e.g. upstate NY & all of NJ?

Re: For your Consideration. Reality in negotiations.

What workable solutions do you have for your points?  How would you suggest the management of the union address those points?  Do you think that by not addressing your points, the union management may be complisant in those problems?  Will you be running for GST again?

Re: For your Consideration. Reality in negotiations.

Mr Steward: How do you propose to use your evaluation of union labor to combat the current contractor/union efforts to accelerate the race-to-the-bottom that we are engaged in? Is what you're doing just preaching to the congregation?
How do you propose that the union membership educate and engage the contractors, politicians, and the public?
\Most construction injuries and deaths still involve low paid, poorly trained, nonunion workers; who is shouting on the street corners, council meetings, and board rooms? You?

So much for old catch phrases

What actions do you propose to lead the in to oppose thease time old complaints?
Or are you just running for office without your name on any balot?

Re: So much for old catch phrases

steward

Re: For your Consideration. Reality in negotiations.

steward
Get new leadership in who actually will do something,they shall back up the membership,and do everything possible to help all our members.Keep all jobs 100percent union,not 50percent union and 50percent nonunion,what does that say about  the union.Be strong ,hold your ground,do not except nothing less exceptv100 percent union.more man hours going into funds,more opportunity's to put all our members to work from out of work list.Also put all our men to work first befourvthe provisional carpenters.Match out of state carpenter s or carpenters from outside locals 1to 1 on jobs to put more of our men to work.Get rid of full mobility.it does not work,mccqrron wanted bit to conquer and divide.We need to come to come together and stick together,we are a union 1for 1,we are a strong Union when we all do our part,solidarity to all,it is a sisterhood and brotherhood,with all this in mind we all will survive and stay strong.keep up the good fight do not back down to a figjht or cause that will keep the union strong no outside force will bother us,we will prevail,no matter what comes our way,hold your leadership to there highest standards,they represent the working union people,in solidarity,a good steward

Re: For your Consideration. Reality in negotiations.

NY Tim
Why would the "leadership" back active or retired carpenters when they decided to take away MEDICAL BENEFITS from disabled union carpenters that have less than 15 credits.

Get working man real leaders who worked in the field who understand the bull and unsafe conditions we face everyday,hold them accountable.

Re: For your Consideration. Reality in negotiations.

Bill,

NERCC has not abolished the Vacation check. NERCC's Vacation Check issues one time per year on December 1st.

* NERCC covers the 6- New England states.

____________________________________

Bill, are you speaking of the NRCC = (The Northeast Council of Carpenters).

* NRCC covers  all of NY less Manhattan & the Boroughs & the entire state of New Jersey

Re: For your Consideration. Reality in negotiations. Vacation check

Greg Kelty
Ted you are correct, yet the in NERCC the worker pays his vacation contribution. In NYC the contractor pays the vacation as part of the benefit package. We in NYC are concerned our leadership will put that on the negotiating table as it amounts to around 8 to 9% of the total package. The leadership keeps looking for ways to reduce the labor cost to the contractor hence the 'B' rate or provisional carpenter. Bottom line is it's the working carpenter who will take the hit by either taking a pay and benefit cut or losing his job to a 'b' rate worker.

Re: For your Consideration. Reality in negotiations.

Steward
Listen incorporate,due what's right for the union,men work hard enough to make money for the company's to be profitable,they have to in return,pay benefits on time,we get job done on time,at least pay benefits to keep our finds strong.

Nine months and counting........still no Wall & Ceiling contract...............

Re: For your Consideration. Reality in negotiations.

Steward
U are right,still no contract,keeping members in the dark,we need to to stand strong and in force a good contract.