First words

Words
I read a lot of these posts on here, and some just make me sad, others make me laugh and wonder if the person writing it is mentally handicapped, trying to embarrass us by pretending to be a member, or inebriated.
It's a shame that there is more shit talk, complaining and bias arguments then there is constructive conversation and promotion for solutions to our problems and biggest concerns.

I joined the brotherhood in 1999, worked on a large residential job, doing coffee, humping boards up stairs and stuffing insulation in all sorts of unsafe, screwed up places.  19 years old, picking up tall boys for the ol' timers who needed to get rid of their shakes at coffee time, and constantly having to try to figure out if shit like..  a skyhook, ink for the laser, and glass nails were real, or just some clever mechanics ruse to get a laugh.

I never thought I was entitled to have my tools on , nor did I ever roll my eyes when I was given a shit task to do.   Did I take an extra long shit in the warm bathroom on sub zero days?  Sure, but I always accepted every job I was given with the attitude that I was going to do it as well as I could.   My initiative turned to reward and I was able to work time to time with journeymen on my tools.  This was not the only time I picked up how to start doing our trade however.  When I walked the job, giving out the coffee order..  I had my eyes open.  I gave people their bagels, coffees or beers and I asked questions.  I took in the stages of the job, how the layout was followed by top track, then framing.  What tools people used and how they used them.  After all this was a career path now, not just some job to pay for my weed money =).

Not every job is like this.  Eventually at the end of the project, things got slow and I got laid off.  When I got to my next job it was for another large company , on a large project and I could tell the foremen their were drunk fucktards who wandered around , sneaking beers and overloading rooms to the point that my days were spent moving sheetrock from one room to another, and back again so work could be complete.  That and insulation was all I had to do , and  it was clear there was no chance that working your tail off would net you respect or a shot at getting yourself on your tools.  Only journeymen did carpenter work on the job, and there were 4th years dumb as dog shit carrying A-frames around clueless as to how a screw gun worked.  So i started to talk to other carpenters on my commute to work, to feel out how their companies ran their apprentices.  I found a smaller shop with jobs that had manpower in the single digits or low teens, and apprentices did deliveries in the morning, could bust em out, stuff their walls, and get on their tools.   So I left the bigger company and got some good work experience with a small one. Unfortunately due to being smaller in size they couldn't keep me employed full time so I bounced around outfits.

I won't go into what  companies I worked for, but wherever I was .. I learned.  Even at that shit second job where I was just a nameless rock mover I gained experience as how some jobs are managed.

At some point during my apprenticeship I was lucky enough to realize that this was not a job for me, but a career.   A facet of my life that people would judge my character on , so you bet your ass I was going to make sure I was good at it.  On coffee breaks I would try to talk to the cracker jack mechanics about trade skills, means and methods to what they do, as opposed to sitting with the mouth breathers talking about what drug they were going to do later.

Now in my early 30s and have been successfully running work for more then  half of my time as a union member.  It's disheartening  for me to hear and read all the crying about not enough good apprentices out there, or all these scumbags out there not wanting our younger members to learn.  Finger pointing and blame on both sides  leads no where.  There is so much shit wrong, everywhere, that we all as a whole need to look to better what we can as we can.

Foreman make sure your apprentices realize that initiative , reliability and consistency are rewarded with knowledge and training, and then follow through with it.

Stewards educate yourselves with current union news and pass it on to your brothers and sisters on the jobs.  At lunch , coffee, early morning, or after work =)

Apprentices show up, on time, prepared, sober and open to develop your career.  Be the last to leave at the end of the day, and ask questions on your way out.  Take something home to practice , learn how to read a tape and use fractions quickly so when you have your opportunity to show what you've got it isn't wasted.

Act like a brotherhood, and see where we can go from there.

Re: First words

27yrs
well writen

Re: First words

ballsac
great post ,i also am in 27 years and have seen alot.this is what we have , lets make the best of it

Re: First words

HONEST
IT IS WHAT IT IS. YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY IF YOU POLISH A TURD ,ITS STILL A TURD. THATS WHAT THE UBC HAS BECOME A PILE OF CRAP

Re: First words

It looks like it is up to the younger members to take action because the older members have laid down and died. Or they have been bought by Maccarron what a shame.

Re: First words

Pete
Nice post, well done.
V- the old guys resent mccarron and are disgusted with him and Walsh. So don't speak about what you don't know. As for the young guys, they don't know the union without him. They have no clue of the battles waged by the old guys to gain what we once had. More than half of the awfulness that this union put out in the last few years is a direct result of mccarron. I would have to say allegiance to the international and the fed gov is more likely to be found in newer members than the men that built this city.
You wouldn't mind a 20% pay cut, reduced benefits, no dental, no glasses and increased retirement with even shittier benefits if you never had a chance to excel beyond homeless. Their are too many that are given an opportunity that too many had to actually work for.
The plan is to keep the books open and overwhelm the membership with the truly simple. Out number the guys who know better. Who will complain about even 10 dollars an hour if you knew left alone you would be unhireable and unable to make anything more than 5 cents a bottle

Re: First words

Danny Green
This entirely supports my last post on these old timers teaching us nothing but how to die, I too went through similar obstacles. In my experience the old cunts were so insecure and felt so threatened that they didn't want you even getting a wiff of your tools let alone hanging waist side. I rose up on my own through big and small companies an eventually ran work. Atleast back then the shop stewards had some decency and protected the apprentices, now I'm fist fighting with them because their vaginas stink up the work place. Last meeting I attended a month ago some shoppy approached the microphone with drunkin slurs I couldn't even decode. The 50 plus must be forced out, give them their pension at whatever the figures are and let them go fuck Arthur blank up at home depot, we don't need these has beens anymore

Re: First words

the truth hurts
I agree that 50 year old guys destroyed the union. The sad thing is they dont stress education in their homes so really they destroyed the buisness for their sons. Dangerous buisness this construction + these guys are the worst of the worst. I would not socialize with them when i was working + will steer clear from them in retirement. They do not exist in my eyes. The meetings were always poorly attended while these guys lapped up o/t for cash. Nothing can save this union + if I were you Danny id get out. Good luck, + for the 50 year olds, the truth hurts,doesn't it. Your sons will soon despise everything you stand for or will continue the race to the very bottom. Very,very sad but true + there's plenty more to the story................

old timers

concern member
Guys you are putting down all the old tmers which is not entirely fair. Yes there will be and always will be old timers and jourymen out that will teach you ABSOLUTLY NOTHING because they are afraid of there jobs. This is been going on from the very begining of the union. My family has had a member in the union since the 1950s and they told me stories even wrost than yours. Those old timers/jourymen if you did't speak there lang. you were out of luck and if you were not there nationality you were really F---!!!!!!. Trick is to find the old timers/jourymen out there and there are alot of them out there that if you are willing to learn the job they will TEACH YOU. YOU as a appentice has to force the good old timers/jourymen to take the time out to teach you the trade.Which today is a lot harder because of the TIME we have to get the job done. As a 26 YEAR MEMBER i always try to take the time out to teach a  appentice or young jourymen everything i know and even sometimes you can teach me something (we all dont know everything even those guys that thing they do DON'T).

Re: First words

Local 45
I had a friend text message me last night about a post i had to read on this blog site. Its exactly what alot of apprentices go thru in the beginning of there career but in this case this is exactly how apprentices should tackle it. Not every case is exactly the same but this happens all the time. This is also how members should express themselves, with purpose,passion,pride but also educated. Go to a union meeting or a delegates meeting and its disgusting how members including members in high union positions carry on. If you were to have complete strangers attend our union and delegates meeting im sure the first thing they would say is "what a bunch of uneducated hooligans and degenerates" because that is exactly how we carry on but not only in meetings but on the job site. In general i think we all have to change, Members in general need to be more educated and carry that out in whatever position your in, politically or blue collar.Our older members need to show our younger members the trade because this is the only thing that seperates union from non union and that gap is starting to close in fast. Our younger members need to show eagerness in learning the business whether its insulating a wall or actually constructing something. Me personally i am in the same exact position the originator of this post is in. Went thru the apprenticeship program,learned the business in a very similar fashion,became a carpenter and then turned foreman at a pretty young age. The reason why im sharing all this is because i do enjoy my job as a foreman but what i enjoy the most is teaching younger members how the business works, the work ethic, the hands on, the stratergizing and also the politics with unions,subs and contractors. So my point is that with hard work you get rewarded in life so whether your a full book or an apprentice take pride in your work,hustle,and do it in a educated and professional manner.These are the things that make us not only carpenters but true TRADESMEN/WOMEN, CRAFTSMEN/WOMEN.

Re: First words

Words
This had no intention to support your generalized ignorant thread on how we need to force out the 50 year old and plus members.  On my jobs I have had plenty of veteran union members willing to educate their brothers.  Even now I have an exceptional carpenter in his 60s who spends his own time teaching any apprentice willing to learn how to be better at their trade.  During his coffee breaks he checks other young mechanics work and guides them to become better journeymen.  Everyone on the job respects him, and it will be a loss to the union when he retires.

I do not think he is the exception to the rule.  I have known many journeymen in for 20 plus years that are willing to teach not only apprentices, but the young mechanics who are still green in certain aspects of our craft.   They are not willing however to teach the know it all, cocky kids that think they already have it all figured out.  Humility goes a long way in life, and it sounds like you need to learn it.

The way I have always viewed the union was to teach the younger apprentices, and journeymen in the beginning of their careers that have drive but need experience, to help the old timers that have the knowledge of the jobs to get it done, but maybe no longer can keep up at the break neck pace new york rate requires, and then those of us in the middle who produce at a high rate and bring the bar up to where it needs to be to keep our market share.

There are listless dregs of all ages in our union from 3 day a week apprentices to your carefree ready to retire drunks.  We can't just put a title on one age group and cry to remove them.  Every foreman and member worth a damn, and council member need to figure out how to cut ties with our "brothers" that do nothing but hold the family down.  That includes snot nose apprentices who think its the old guys fault he doesn't know shit about his trade.

Re: First words

concern member
You are absolutly right we the jourymen have to teach the appentices the trade and hard work ethics that comes with this job. Not ownly will this make the union stronger it will KEEP THE UNION GOING by having GOOD WORKING JOURYMEN AND APPENTICES ON THE JOB SITES!!! and not for nothing the jourymen that don't teach these appentices anything because your worry about your job all you are doing is F!!!!!G YOURSELF because its the appentices that turn jourymen and young already jourymen that are going to keep your pension in good standards and so on and so on and so on!!!!!!! THATS WANT MAKES A UNOIN STRONG THE MEMBERS THAT HELP ONE ANOTHER!!!!!! LATER.

Re: First words

Danny Green
Be it as it may, there's a big roll of thunder coming these old timers oppressed us long enough. Days are numbered and their number is coming up.

Re: First words

Words
I'm sorry , maybe I am stupid but,
what is the "big roll of thunder?
who is the "us" oppressed and how have "they " oppressed you
and what relevance does this have to the initial thread?

Re: First words

Danny Green
I wouldn't concern myself with meaningless questions, word. You know my name why don't you tell us a little about yourself?