FULL MOBILTY

bill lebo
What does full mobilty do for the membership?
It causes stagnation of the out of work list.
Because of the stagnation of the OWL it causes members who work for a company steadily to put up with abuses by the contractor or the contractors rep because they are scared they might end up on the stagnant OWL.
It causes a company worker to do something they wouldn't normally do (work for cash or work on a job thats not called in to the council) because they are affraid if they don't they might end up on the stagnant OWL.
Thereby it propagates corruption.
In hard times it causes some good carpenters to drop out of our union or work non-union because they can't find work through shaping because contractors are moving their own workers from job to job, and they can't get a job from the stagnant OWL.
It causes more of the good ol'boy syndrome because the foreman is a buddy of a business rep and he requests the reps boys from job to job.

What does the 50/50 rule do for the membership?

It helps the OWL put members to work.
It gives the contractor a larger pool of members to choose from.
It helps the contractor keep his men on their toes because the carpenter who comes off the list is willing to work harder because he or she wants to stay thereby spurring the company worker to work harder to keep the job.
When a member comes off the list he or she might be told of illicit deals made with contractor where the steward might not be told and thereby corruption is found out.

To me it's a no brainer

Re: FULL MOBILTY

Bill Lebo
Someone asked me the other day where I stood on full mobility

Re: FULL MOBILTY

member
Bill for every carpenter it gets off the list it puts another on.
Bill it might make the list move if there were a number on how many times a year you can get sent out, maybe this would help the carpenter who can keep a job.When your number is up you have to shape the old way.
Bill you come across that you believe that every contractor,foreman,BA,Rep,Member that keeps a job is corrupt.
Bill the good ol'boy syndrome is usually between the reps and the stewards
Bill when was last time a carp off the list helps keep a contractors men on there toes. that's pretty funny.
Right now there are a lot of men on the OWL times will get better it is a cycle, The Backbone of this union are the hardworking men and women that would get replaced with the 50/50 and they will be voting also in coming Elections and most of them never vote. mail in ballots should be very interesting. one man one vote.
Good luck Bill

Re: FULL MOBILTY

just C
full mobility SUCKS for the union. PERIOD. This is from personal experience, not from what someone else told me.
joe

Re: FULL MOBILTY

joe
a  no brainer??? i am a shop steward for 20 years. i have done concrete jobs,sheetrock, woodworking,furniture, you name it!! i could say that 80% of the workers that ARE dispatched from the owl to any of the trades i just mentioned, DO NOT KNOW SHIT!!! OR  THEY JUST DONT WANT TO WORK OR BOTH.

Re: FULL MOBILTY

procity
the nonunion companies dont think im lazy or i dont know shit. it was you union guys who came seeking me out and offering lazy know nothing me a union card.

this guy joe is the reason we dont need 50/50  we need 60/40, 60 favoring the owl. are you one of those company guys i see whispering with the other company guys and your a shop steward to this is pretty bad with the unions. a company shop steward.  i hope your not from the city
joe

Re: FULL MOBILTY

joe
yes, i am from the city and i am far from a company guy(lol).22years in157.  i am just calling it like i see it. you have to look at both sides. i cant say i am for or against full mobility.i am just saying the MAJORITYof the workers that wait on the out of work list usually falsify their job qualifications so they have more optioNS for work, then they get to the job and FAIL! i have worked for a lot of companies, mostly as a steward. i have suffered work wise like a lot of people, because  i cannot(and i wont )align myself with any particular company.    do you understand?

Re: FULL MOBILTY

Bill Lebo
When you put it like that Joe we actually agree somewhat. All the candidates just had to do the essay part of the RO's process. These will be placed on the council website for all to see. I address the issue of the members skill list. I also address doing away with the OWL calling members to go to jobs and instead putting a modified shape hall system in place. I quite frankly hope that if I loose this election that whoever does win will push this issue. Also although I am against full mobility I am only one voice, it is my position that the rank and file membership at large should make the final decision on the contracts not the delegates. For a real consensus of what the membership wants there must be a membership ratification of the contracts by secret ballot vote. The bylaws allow for the delgates to decide how the contracts would be raified. This means they can go into their meeting and vote to have a membership wide vote on the contracts and I suggest you all direct your delegates to call for this, then you'll see if you made the right decision on who you voted for.

Re: FULL MOBILTY

procity
ok ur not a dick lol

i already have  been doing carpentry for 15 yrs b4 i took a union card and i come off the list which i would have no problem with . i thought the whole idea of union was to end the favortism and to protect the workers from the rich. to us its about safety to the rich its an exspense. if the companies do their own hiring im dead in the water.