Delegate meeting

Donny Arana
Good job on Damien's part. If it was a matter of calling your delegates we would be in better shape and these bullshit CBA'S would never pass. At the next delegate meeting some one will motion for a roll call vote, then the delegates will vote against roll call by a margin of about 50-20. Then they will vote on the CBA'S (no roll call-no accountability) and pass them by the same margin of about 50-20. The delegates will argue that the contract had to be passed and we had to move forward ASAP (bullshit). This is the sad truth.

Re: Delegate meeting

Ross
Perhaps people attending Monday's town hall meeting with the RO should ask him to enforce a roll-call vote for the contract. I have asked him to do that in the "contact the RO" comments section at the left side of this blog. Lets keep asking for it at the town hall meeting on the 15th. Getting a roll-call vote may not even affect the outcome of the vote, but I think it's an important step towards a better governing body.

Re: Delegate meeting

Bill Kane
Ross I have an idea which I believe is the best. Call your delegates explain that you want a direct vote by the membership just like the 2012 vote.Also tell them you want to see proof of hardship,and not from  some washington dc real estate company. I believe these contracts are giveaways just like the Internationals. Every contractor has full mobility in this entire country the contractors are free to bid on any job anywhere as long as they abide by the union rules in that area. What they want is full hirirng control, if thats what theyre looking for thats what they should call it. Thanks for reading.

Re: Delegate meeting

Ross
Bill, I agree with you that a direct vote by the membership is preferable and we should seek that first. I'm not completely sure what you mean by proof of hardship or if that relates to the upcoming WCC vote that we are discussing. I know that there is some sort of system that allows companies to apply for cut rate labor by claiming hardship and that the decision makers that allow those deals are just 3 guys, I think, the EST and 2 others. Frankly that sounds like a system that needs some serious sunlight shone on it. I'm not sure if thats what you are referring to. Why wouldn't hardship deals be subject to greater scrutiny by the delegate body or the membership itself? A three guy panel sounds like a cigar-smoke filled back room to me.....

Re: Delegate meeting

Donny Arana
I believe it's a 12 person board, 6 on union side,6 on contractor association. If its a tie general office makes decision ( McCarron ). He will grant contractor permission because reduced rate comes from members monies not DC's hourly take. That's all international cares about is their contributions from GC.

Re: Delegate meeting

Ross
Thanks for the clarification. I must be remembering that wrong. I was at a delegate meeting recently where the EST was asked about who was on the hardship committee, and I thought he said it was just him and 2 other guys...I may have misunderstood or we may babe talking about different things.

Re: Delegate meeting

start again
Ross:

A roll-call vote for delegates on CBA ratification is essential to democracy-- but the RO arbitrarily ordering one isn't sufficient. The NYCDCC bylaws require more than just incidental voting for roll-call on each CBA ratification:

COLLECTIVE BARGAINING

Section 20. Following recommendation by the Executive Committee, the Council Delegate Body shall have the exclusive power and authority to ratify and execute Collective Bargaining Agreements for and on behalf of its affiliated Local Unions, except to the extent the International Union exercises its jurisdiction or authority.

The District Council Delegate Body shall adopt rules and procedures governing the method of collective bargaining ratification.

Before the issue of roll-call vote for ratification of a specific CBA (like the WC&C) is discussed, Section 20 of the Bylaws must be complied with. Rules and procedures governing the method of collective bargaining ratification must be adopted by the Delegate Body, in writing.

That means there must be substantive discussion by the delegates of the ethics involved in ratification of CBAs, such as legal right for the rank-and-file to participate in their Union via Member and/or Delegate Ratification, and the necessity of an informed vote. Rules must be responsibly hammered out by the Delegates requiring the Council to provide accessible, accurate, objective, information, and a range of view and positions relevant to to the Membership (see Section 12G included below,) on the CBA being voted on, according to a time frame in which members may attend Local Union meetings and discuss the Agreement with their elected Delegates, before the vote. The question of balloting, who will vote on what contracts, must also be discussed and determined, as well as other procedures, such as guidelines for actual voting, be it mail-in or otherwise, and the subject of roll-call.

All of these issues need to be discussed extensively, exhaustively, and codified into a set of rules, before voting particular to the WC&C CBA commences-- if only for compliance4gjm with the Bylaws.

Because the Bilello administration, Executive Committee, and Council Delegate Body has failed to comply with Section 20. we presently find our Union a the state of chaos.

Though Judge Berman has ordered the Council to seek ratification of the WC&C Agreement at the next Delegate Body meeting, the issue of non-compliance with Section 20. remains.

The rules and procedures need to, and must be, legislated in concordance with requirement of the Consent Decree, in compliance with law-- and the goal of achieving "best practice" for this organization, that is: actually providing Members equal rights and privileges to participate in their Union.

TITLE I -- BILL OF RIGHTS OF MEMBERS OF LABOR ORGANIZATIONS

Bill of Rights

(29 U.S.C. 411)

SEC. 101. (a)(1) EQUAL RIGHTS.-- Every member of a labor organization shall have equal rights and privileges within such organization to nominate candidates, to vote in elections or referendums of the labor organization, to attend membership meetings and to participate in the deliberations and voting upon the business of such meetings, subject to reasonable rules and regulations in such organization's constitution and bylaws.

(2) FREEDOM OF SPEECH AND ASSEMBLY.-- Every member of any labor organization shall have the right to meet and assemble freely with other members; and to express any views, arguments, or opinions; and to express at meetings of the labor organization his views, upon candidates in an election of the labor organization or upon any business properly before the meeting, subject to the organization's established and reasonable rules pertaining to the conduct of meetings: Provided, That nothing herein shall be construed to impair the right of a labor organization to adopt and enforce reasonable rules as to the responsibility of every member toward the organization as an institution and to his refraining from conduct that would interfere with its performance of its legal or contractual obligations.
____________________

NYCDCC Bylaws

EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

Section 12.

(G) The Executive Committee shall have the authority and responsibility to provide
information about the District Council to the public and the membership including by publishing
The Carpenter and effectively maintaining the District Council website. When presenting
information to the public and the membership, the Executive Committee shall provide information
fairly reflecting the range of positions and points of view on subjects relevant to the District
Council and members.

Re: Delegate meeting

TommcGuire
The associations are asking for 80% rate all over the place yet NOONE has asked their members to open their books for a forensic audit to prove what they're saying is necessary for their survival against the non union sector.

Re: Delegate meeting

Ross
This message started out as a discussion of how the vote for the WCC contract might likely be done in an irritating, non-transparent way. This discussion is splitting in two directions now. I'm going to post a new message to discuss hardship and PLA's.