DOCKBUILDERS

Still moving forward
Dear Brothers and Sisters

As you are now aware, the voting in the National Labor Relations Board Election between the amalgamated Dockbuilders Local and the New York City District Council of Carpenters is complete. The results of the election will take time to sort out, not all of the ballots have been counted and the difference between the number of challenged ballots are too great to certify a winner.  Further, There are numerous Unfair Labor Practices filed with the National Labor Relations Board regarding the conduct of the New York City District Council throughout the election process.   These violations against the membership by the council will take time to be decided.

This election has come on the heels of a very heated campaign about the direction of our union and the future of our trade as dockbuilders. While it is clear there was no certified winner of the election on Thursday March 29th, it is also clear that the dockbuilder membership is and will always be the winner of this campaign.  Because of our organizing effort and subsequent campaign we the dockbuilder membership were given the opportunity to decide our own future and not have it dictated to us. Contrary to what the District Council led you to believe over the past few months our campaign was never about a select group having control of the membership, it was always about one simple ideal, democracy for dockbuilders!

Dockbuilders for Democracy was and always will be about having the membership decide their future. We will continue to fight to make sure that all dockbuilders that voted in the election will have their votes counted, we will continue to fight to make sure our proud history and trade jurisdiction is maintained, we will continue the fight to make sure all issues affecting the membership are voted on by the membership and we will continue to fight for all the members of Dockbuilders Local 1456.

Brothers and sisters the task at hand is not one to be taken lightly, all of our families and future generations of dockbuilders are depending on us to take up the fight, to have each others best interest at heart, and to never forget those that came before us. We will never turn our backs on any brother Dockbuilder active or retired.

Re: DOCKBUILDERS

27yr Member of 1456
That was very well written and sounds like an excellent solution to leave the ubc forever. It's a shame that most involved, a lawyer on a power trip, the ousted greedy ex executive board members and the painters union looking for us all to bail them out of their underfunded pension plan ruined any chance of success!

Maybe we can all learn from this and do it with the right people with a solid plan posted for all to see next time.