Change

Member
What a glorious period in the history of the carpenters union we are lucky enough to be experiencing first hand. For the first time in the history of this union, members were actually allowed to ratify their own contracts. We the last bastion of tyranny finally allowed the members to have some input into the contracts they would work under, Chris Wallace stood up  at  delegate meeting to  soak up some of the glory from this great occasion.
What is puzzling is that the silly little members did not understand that the contracts were sent out to be RATIFIED, not rejected. So after the members rejected the contracts, the contractors alliance had to step in and ratify those contracts.
        We now have some wonderful contracts and members who do not happen to be working on a job of 100,000 square feet or less, and are not working in any of those numerous “class ‘C’ buildings, or in residential, or in a hotel, or in a job which the council gave another PLA, you got a raise.
If you are working in any of those other jobs though, you just got a paycut, because while the raise goes to the welfare fund, the 20% paycut cannot be taken out of there, so you just lost another 43 cents an hour from your paycheck.
This is for the greater good though, because according to the Contractors alliance, you will be able to work more hours for less money, and so work out better off, so instead of working 35 hours a week, you will now be able to work 42 hours to earn the same amount of money. Isn’t it great. If you are unfortunate enough to be working in a class C building, which is also a PLA, then you will be able to work 49  hours for 35 hours pay. Isn’t it great.
The small problem is that PLA’s  have never created more work, they just seem to breed like cockroaches and create more PLA opportunities, which will eventually lead to all jobs becoming PLA’s and then what do we do? Give another 20% off?
Did the Contractors Alliance vote in a contract which gives short term payraises in exchange for long term paycuts? Did the contractors Alliance say no to member ratification because they knew the members would say no to paycuts disguised as raises? Just like they did the last time the contracts were sent out?
Is it time to stop letting council employees who receive three pensions, company cars and $150,000 a year tell us that we earn too much, that we need to work for less?
I think it is time to send a message to the slackers at the district council, it is time that this union stopped representing the council and started representing the members.

Re: Change

curious yellow
The most sensible post yet. Congratulations brother.

Re: Change

brodymartin
That is a very well written post, would like to hear the proposal or alternate solution to the PLA - "class C  buildings " and the like. In reading the last report from the RO # 6, it appears as if their have been about 4500 men consistently on the OWL ( 157 ) . Have seen a lot in my 36 years " on the tools " and have traveled and performed work in many different locals, councils and states. Does everyone understand that outside of the city the wages and benefits fall off the chart ? There has to be some type of attempt ( you tell me what it is ) to break into these markets that we have very little or no presence. If it is not a monetary solution to become more competitive and " break into " that market then what ? It should not be a race to the bottom if the proposed reductions do not work then we made an attempt. If there is an opportunity for someone to work at the other rate so be it. If you choice is not to accept, then stay home. I have seen how after every " boom " period the non-union get stronger and stronger because we were to busy " thumping our chests " on the BIG ONES and ignoring that entire market. They do not need us, the deck is stacked against us and those old days of busting heads is gone. We have to supply men and resources to try and make as difficult as possible for them to perform ; prevailing wage violations, safety, taxes etc. That is what it has come to plain and simple. That is what organizing has come to, public awareness. However, if we do not try something to slow down that train the end may be closer than we know. No matter who is driving the bus at the DC, these problems are not going away. So give me substance and solutions, leave the salaries and parking out of equation for now.
FIX

Re: Change

FIX
have traveled and performed work in many different locals, councils and states

Try setting up a life somewhere. Or has Doug McCarron taken that away from you as well.

Re: Change

one trick pony
We have had PLA’s for quite a while now, do they work? Or have the contractors found a useful  tool to pit the various unions against each other? Our market share has not increased, in spite of these givebacks, all that has occurred is that the unions who did not agree to givebacks have been ostracized by the contractors on the strength of those who made concessions.
One of the biggest issues that I have with the sweeping givebacks is that they are not tied to any benchmark and seem to be only the first step in making this our new A rate so that the contractors can start looking for additional concessions from this rate.
The problem is that we seem to have become a one trick union, there seems to be very little effort made by us to reclaim market share other than to slash wages, and give the contractors everything they ask for, even when that is directly contrary to the will of the members of our union, no matter how you butter it, every delegate wh voted to deny members their right to ratify their contracts spat on the members of this union. This was not McCarron, this was the delegates from this council who did this.
The contempt that this shows by the council for the general members is I think why our union is failing and will continue to do so. We will not survive if our only purpose is to keep council employees in cushy jobs.

Re: Change

George
The  Alliance will get the job done

Re: Change

i agree
No matter how you butter it, every delegate wh voted to deny members their right to ratify their contracts spat on the members of this union. This was not McCarron, this was the delegates from this council who did this.
The contempt that

Re: Change

February 8, 2012 v.April 25, 2013
On April 25, 2013 the Delegate Body of the New York City District Council of Carpenters by a vote of 50 to 32 rejected a motion to have the WC&C Agreement ratified by the rank and file membership.

 These same hypocrites on February 8, 2012 unanimously voted "to give the membership the power to determine the future of their union."

“We decided that the best way to go forward was for rank-and-file ratification of the contract,” said Mike Bilello, the union's new executive secretary-treasurer. “It's something I campaigned on. It's part of the transparency of the new district council, the desire for us to put control of the organization back in the hands of the membership.”

Below is an excerpt of the Delegate Body meeting minutes of February 8, 2012 regarding the decision for rank and file ratification:

 Local 20 Executive Committee member Christopher Wallace takes the floor, "The Committee met for five (5) hours last night and we want to have a vote. There was a lot of discussion and it was unanimous. Upon a unanimous agreement of the negotiating advisory committee and by the recommendation of the Executive Committee, it is an honor, that I stand here tonight for the first time in District Council history and in keeping with our newly elected officers pledge that the members be in charge of their Union, that I ask for a motion from the floor to have the rank and file members by mail in ballot conducted by the American Arbitration Association, vote to ratify the five collective bargaining agreements posted on the District Council website, with the specialty local members voting exclusively on their contracts."

 He asked for a motion to have rank and flle members ratify the five (5) agreements.

 A motion to approve was made by Salvatore Tagliafero and seconded by Joseph Sabatino.

 Below is the April 25, 2013 Roll-Call vote listing the names and Locals of how each delegate voted on the motion to have the WC&C Agreement ratified by the rank and file membership.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/138223995/Contract-to-Membership-for-Ratification-4-25-13