Carpenters' Committee for Democracy and Workers' Rights

Carpenters' Committee for Democracy and Workers' Rights

anonymous
At a recent Local Union meeting a member handed out petitions with an invitation to join the Carpenters' Committee for Democracy and Workers' Rights. When asked if the group was scheduling meetings, he said that it is just a "core group" at the moment. Last night at the Review Officer Forum there was no mention of the organization, nor was the petition distributed to the membership at large. While we should support initiation of action on the behalf of the rank and file, it is imperative that those undertakings be responsibly sustained; once leadership is assumed, others may find themselves disinclined to act on their own accord, for fear of redundancy. Since this Carpenters' Committee has so far been limited to only a cadre, and significant opportunities to further its stated objectives are being missed; perhaps it is time for the group to branch out, begin practicing the principle of accountability it means to promote. Rank and file organizing requires commitment and discipline, inclusiveness and transparency. We do not have time to wait while a few who assume the mantle hesitate. Last night was the opportunity to circulate your manifesto and collect contact info from the Men and Women for organizational purposes. Volunteers could have helped accomplish that, but you never asked. Our contract is up in June. What can the membership expect now from Carpenters' Committee for Democracy and Workers' Rights?

Re: Carpenters' Committee for Democracy and Workers' Rights

william davenport
Banned User

Re: Carpenters' Committee for Democracy and Workers' Rights

Sounds like a good cause, I got the flier last night.  I did not sign the flier or join the movement because there weren't any names attached to it or any info on who's behind it.  I believe if there are good honest men or women behind a movement they should be proud to attach their name to it.  I find this kind of odd.  I'm not saying it's not a good cause or it can't turn into something good, I just find it odd that the good men or women behind it didn't attach their names to it.  I hope their not looking for the right name to attach to it when they find the right name.  I also think there should be more focus on supporting what Mike Bilello has already accomplished.  I hope these causes don't become a dime a dozen.

Re: Carpenters' Committee for Democracy and Workers' Rights

anonymous
Thanks, William-- for your offer-- but I signed the petition previously at a local meeting, where it was announced during good of the order. I'm relieved to hear the petition was actually distributed at the R.O. Forum, even though no mention was made addressing the entire group. John Musumeci was handing out fliers at the door, so I got one of those.

I agree with Brother Arana's sentiments; I am troubled by the Carpenter's Committee for Democracy and Workers' Rights asking for a member's name, phone number, e-mail address, home address, local number, and signature, without even providing contact information, or identifying names of its own. While members are invited to join, there isn't suggestion of how the rank and file may participate in the group. Working for democracy and workers' rights means practicing what we preach, from the onset.

Donny Arana
Thanks for the info Bill. It's nice to know the names or name of people starting a movement.  Mike Bilello is currently in court fighting on behalf of the membership regarding these issues.  Hopefully these well known members agree what Mike is already fighting for.  I'm sure he can use their support as well as yours.  I speak for myself and not for Mike.  I'm hoping these well known members feel the same as I do. Thanks again Bill.

Thank you William for your work, replies, and clarification. By the way; Is that petition you're circulating a final draft?

Re: Carpenters' Committee for Democracy and Workers' Rights

william davenport
Banned User

Re: Carpenters' Committee for Democracy and Workers' Rights

bill lebo
I'm also a part of this committee. We've only just met with the lawyers last week. The petition is there to give creedence to the movement. The information asked for was so that members can be contacted to let them know whats going on hopefully via email. Mike Biello was invited to the next meeting with the attorneys on this friday. He assured me he'd be there. I insisted this not be any kind of political movement to back anyone for office, but only to move for our rights as union members, or I wouldn't be a part of this. Also for your info anyone can also sign on to Mikes suit, and I'd suggest we all do,  he made this very clear a the Meeting with Dennis Walsh wedesday.

Re: Carpenters' Committee for Democracy and Workers' Rights

Under the 94 Consent Decree, who is the "certified bargaining representative"

Is it NYCDCC or is it the International UBC?

Which body has the final say, as agent, of the Rank & File to negotiate the Contracts?

Does anyone here have the Paperwork/Filings with the NLRB clearly depicting who the "certified bargaining representative" is, date signed/acknowledged by the NLRB etc. & if so can you post on this blog?

This is a critical point, as certain caselaw turns on this very question & answer, as related to the Bilello Motion & the petition to be submitted to Judge Berman on April 6th.