Carpenter Union dentist under SIDS

Rick Boland
Brothers,

I am writing this email to inform you of my opinion of this proposed dental plan.  I have been a member since 1984 and its really disheartening to see how bad our benefits have become recently.  Since the health benefits have changed several years ago, I find myself owing more doctors, laboratories, hospitals and collection agencies representing these people than ever before.  I have recently went in to my dentist that I have had for 20 years and was a participating Carpenter Union dentist under SIDS.  He informed me he would not accept this plan.  My dentist's billing secretary told me the Aetna DMO does not pay enough for services and they could not afford to contract with this plan.  She also told me the AETNA PPO was much better.  I am really disgusted with the fact that you have taken away a fairy decent  dental plan a few years ago and have decided to replace it with crap like this plan.  While we are paying nearly $14 per hour for welfare in our benefits package, is this the best you can give us?  If you can't give us what we had previously, I think it would be better just scrap the Aetna plan and give it to us a specific dollar amount in a medical savings account so we could self pay the dentist of our choice.  I am hearing it on the job as well from other brothers.  Why do the Electricians and Laborers have a better medical plan than we have?

Rick Boland

Local 157 Steward

1904-5314

Re: Carpenter Union dentist under SIDS

Daniel J. Franco
Rick,

Currently, the DMO is of no use to me, also. So, I agree with you. If
this DMO is truly of little to no benefit to the majority of members
then it should be discontinued and the money used elsewhere - a better
dental plan, reduction of other Welfare Plan costs (i.e. co-pay,
co-insurance, or deductible), or allocated in some other way. Thank
you for pressing this issue.

Moreover, I read McInnis' statement, "Invite him in to discuss with
labor trustees I'll meet with him.  He's [guideless].", as he would
assuredly assemble the labor-side (six of 12) NYCCBF Trustees for the
purpose of 'guiding' a single dentist, who would be solicited to
become a recipient/payee of our funds. However, to my knowledge, and
insultingly to the members, there NEVER has been, nor do I think there
EVER will be, ANY intention by ANY of the current Trustees to assemble
the others for the purpose of "guiding" the members, we who are the
cause of the contribution to the funds.

There have been many times I would liked to have rallied at the
Council to collectively push for a 'townhall' meeting at which the
NYCCBF Trustees (both labor and management) and the Executive Director
would be available to directly answer questions, which, of course, I
have "a few". However, I've often thought that few members would show
for such a purpose and a small rally or rallies would be of little to
no influence/affect and thereby of little to no effect. Then again,
since the Council election will soon occur, maybe now is the time when
a large number of members would rally for these purposes -
dental/medical plan adjustments/corrections and NYCCBF Trustee
'townhall' meetings.

Dan

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 4:41 PM, Rick Boland [via A Mobilized
Membership Is An Irresistible Force]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Brothers,
>

> I am writing this email to inform you of my opinion of this proposed dental
> plan.  I have been a member since 1984 and its really disheartening to see
> how bad our benefits have become recently.  Since the health benefits have
> changed several years ago, I find myself owing more doctors, laboratories,
> hospitals and collection agencies representing these people than ever
> before.  I have recently went in to my dentist that I have had for 20 years
> and was a participating Carpenter Union dentist under SIDS.  He informed me
> he would not accept this plan.  My dentist's billing secretary told me the
> Aetna DMO does not pay enough for services and they could not afford to
> contract with this plan.  She also told me the AETNA PPO was much better.  I
> am really disgusted with the fact that you have taken away a fairy decent
> dental plan a few years ago and have decided to replace it with crap like
> this plan.  While we are paying nearly $14 per hour for welfare in our
> benefits package, is this the best you can give us?  If you can't give us
> what we had previously, I think it would be better just scrap the Aetna plan
> and give it to us a specific dollar amount in a medical savings account so
> we could self pay the dentist of our choice.  I am hearing it on the job as
> well from other brothers.  Why do the Electricians and Laborers have a
> better medical plan than we have?
>
> Rick Boland
>
> Local 157 Steward
>
> 1904-5314

Re: Carpenter Union dental

Norman
Daniel,
A few of us realize that this farcical plan is just a sop thrown to the members to buy an election.
Too many duped members are beyond our reach. Disinformation and orchestrated apathy have been effective in the past and probably will be this time again. Weather permitting, the picnic is this weekend.
Is there a viable candidate running? We can try to reach out on their behalf to spread the message of a change for the better. (If they don't stop us.)

Re: Carpenter Union dentist under SIDS

retired shoppy
So glad members are talking about this. This is like giving members money away. The cost of dental care in this country is becoming a big problem, and its not getting any attention.  If it doesnt change only wealthy people will be able to afford good dental care. I had a crown put in about 8 years ago with our old insurance and it didn't cost a penny. Now it needs to be changed because it broke during a root canal and Cigna tell me that if I didn't have their bullshit DMO it would cost $4500. Something is going on with these dentists and these insurance companies. My wife needed a partial and they tell us our responsibility would be $1200. Heroin addicts on welfare get a whole set a dentures and dont pay a dime, and these fucks want $1200 for 2 teeth.