Can the NYCDCC secede from the international?

Can the NYCDCC secede from the international?

24 yr member
it seems to me that a lot of the posts, comments, concerns,and complaints are mostly about Doug Mc Carron and his negative influence and attempts to control the NYDCC and merge us with other districts that are in greater trouble than we are.Is it or would it be possible for NYC to leave the international? It seems as if we would be a lot better off on our own. Can someone that is more knowledgeable please comment on the pros and cons or if this is even possible?

Re: Can the NYCDCC secede from the international?

Ted
Yes it is possible. They did it in Canada & told Doug to stuff it.

Given the Consent Decree, you would need a Court Order to force a Decertification Election for the UBC International, and there are other issues concerning the 8(f) & 9(a) periods - best to bring these questions up to the attorney.

Re: Can the NYCDCC secede from the international?

24 yr member
It just seems that we have the most work and union marketshare out of any other US city. I would think if we could just eliminate the corruption from within and be independent of the international and the other districts that we seem to be pushed into merging into we could be more solvent and our future would be more secure. I think every time more corruption is uncovered in NYCDCC it gives Mc Carron an opening to come here and take control.

Re: Can the NYCDCC secede from the international?

Pete
I think our ''window" has closed. We should have left when the writing first appeared on the wall. I fear that the international is too entrenched and now have too much control of OUR New York union. We didnt fight when we still held the hammer now, we can't overcome their power and the feds that they brought with them. Brother, we dont even have a vote that counts anymore, because McCarron wouldn't like what we voted for. The end is near.

Re: Can the NYCDCC secede from the international?

anon
Banned User

Re: Can the NYCDCC secede from the international?

listman
The short answer is yes we can secede from the UBC.
The long answer is that we will then be subject to McCarrons cut throat unionism. McCarron will start a cut rate carpenters union in NYC, he will not be burdened with having to pay for the medical of retired mebers 55 to 65 years of age.
He will offer contractors full mobility, no owl, no anuity, less medical, smaller pensions and a lower rate of pay.

NOT WITHOUT A COURT ORDER HE WON'T, - NOT HERE IN NYC.

NOT WITHOUT A COURT ORDER HE WON'T, - NOT HERE IN NYC.

Re: Can the NYCDCC secede from the international?

See 308 US 241

As pointed out in National Labor Relations Board v. Pennsylvania Greyhound Lines, 303 U.S. 261, 58 S.Ct. 571, 82 L.Ed. 831, 115 A.L.R. 307, disestablishment of a bargaining unit previously dominated by the employer may be the only effective way of wiping the slate clean and affording the employes an opportunity to start afresh in organizing for the adjustment of their relations with the employer. Compare National Labor Relations Board v. Fansteel Metallurgical Corp., 306 U.S. 240, 262, 59 S.Ct. 490, 498, 83 L.Ed. 627, 123 A.L.R. 599.