Brooklyn Bridge rally!!

Bill Walsh Local 157
Thanks to all the Carpenters who attended today’s march over the Brooklyn Bridge! It felt like there are members who really are concerned about their union and how we merge with the other trades interests. I was disappointed at the way things were not prearranged. The Council must have known about this rally last week but did nothing to inform the membership of this important rally. All stewards could have notified at these “mandatory meetings” over the last week and when they dropped off their sheets at the council. A last minute, knee jerk response was only because they didn’t want to hear about not participating in this union event. The Councils eleventh-hour two foot by five foot banner was a disgrace. No real Local union representation, no tee shirts and a lackluster show of support from the unaware membership. Only the Millwrights’ did the right thing and showed up with their Local 740 banner and marched in unity. Once again, the Carpenters Union looked like a bunch of unorganized non participating group. I know that AFLCIO would love to have us back, but until our International leadership decides it is in everyone’s interest, we will watch from the sidelines.
We were the only trade at this rally with an internal political undertow that was embarrassing. This was not the forum for the self promoting slates but to show we were one union. If these slates and tickets were really genuine, they would have left the flyers, sign and rhetoric at home in the name of true solidarity. These competing tickets were more concerned about getting their tee shirts noticed and hanging banners. This rally was really all about, the middle class, all union uniting and not egos and elections. Many true colors were flown today but unfortunately, the council and the budding politicians really showed us theirs. Next rally lets have one union, united and show we are the honorable trade we are. I applaud all that showed up and look forward to upcoming union events!

Re: Brooklyn Bridge rally!!

loitering charge
Bill:

I think the long banner you're talking about was by the New Direction Slate. Not to blame you for making the mistake because it was barely discernible and at kneecap level most of the way until it was tied to the second tier of scaffolding across from City Hall during a melee with the Fuzz over who owned the block. If you were at Cadman Plaza you might have noticed that Puglise has let himself go and now resembles a hippie. And Jerry Matthews gets points for choosing to wear his black Eastern District polo shirt for today's event. Whether or not the Carpenter's for Solidarity Slate are viable candidates they get high points for being the best rally squad all around. Even though their cardboard held high simply said "Carpenter's for Solidarity" it sent the right proud message to the other trades (who probably had no idea it was a campaign name,) especially when the District Council did apparently as little as possible today.
owl

Re: Brooklyn Bridge rally!!

owl
where were the unions when clinton was signing nafta and sending union jobs to countries who hate us

Making the World Safe for Foreign Investent in Labor Exploitation in Human Rights Violating Prefered Trading Nations

black bloc
Remember the WTO protests in Seattle? Teamsters and Turtles? The West coast Longshoremen shut down their ports. Riot gear, tear gas, and mass arrests. 200 Chinese-American needle-trades workers and a handful of labor radicals demonstrated in solidarity at the World Trade Center. Our NYC Trade Union so-called leadership was asleep at the wheel.

Re: Brooklyn Bridge rally!!

listman
Here's a set of figures that may help.

By 1966 clothing produced ,& used here in the states was 90%.
    1969/71 approx 65%
           74             35%
 Latter  70's -82       12%

Single digits after that.  That's why !

Re: Brooklyn Bridge rally!!

Bill Walsh Local 157
I apologize to all the council personnel who attempted to make the Brooklyn Bridge rally work. I just discovered that they only received notification about this rally on June 7th, and tried to put it together in a short time. Although, they could have gotten some information out last week with our job stewards, 90% of our membership didn’t even know of this important rally. It seems some unsavory slates were electioneering and took advantage to persuade members, instead of using this opportune moment to uniting our fragile union as one. Lets hope next time the Building Trades give all the trades enough time to mobilize its membership.
 If there is a lesson to be learned, our council must harness technology to correspond with the membership in a quicker way. Sometimes we might find the need to mobilize our numbers promptly to make future points relevant, as in rallies and organizing tactics. Thanks to the council representatives who tried to make this a successful event.  I support those who strive to make our union better for all our members. We need to pull together to prove to ourselves and the other trades, we are leaders and honorable workers! There is a time and place for everything; this was the time for solidarity, not Tee shirts, political banners and promotional handouts.

Re: Brooklyn Bridge rally!!

tester
Re:
"...If there is a lesson to be learned, our council must harness technology to correspond with the membership in a quicker way. Sometimes we might find the need to mobilize our numbers promptly to make future points relevant, as in rallies and organizing tactics"...

" groups and regional organizations may receive custom bulk versions of the App at 80% discount upon application."

http://www.democri-c.com/

Re: Brooklyn Bridge rally!!

you ball bag cock jockey

Re: Brooklyn Bridge rally!!

 your a sad exscuse for a man ,you were overheard tarnishing every irish carpenters heritage with your lepprachaun remark

Re: Brooklyn Bridge rally!!

Bill Lebo
Your right Tester, and the technology is already there to be had and used. Unfortunately, the UBC has no intention of using it, or informing the membership of anything. This is clearly not their way, they keep us in the dark because what they're doing is not in our best interest, and they don't want us rising up against them in force. Are best hope is getting them out as fast as is possible, and getting honest, member minded leaders in place, who will not only lead, but listen, and keep the membership informed and involved.

Re: Brooklyn Bridge rally!!

tester
Re:
..."Our best hope is getting them out as fast as is possible, and getting honest, member minded leaders in place, who will not only lead, but listen, and keep the membership informed and involved"...

Digital People
by
Sidney Perkowitz

..."You might not know it, but among us there exist artificial beings that are lifelike enough to give you goose bumps. If you had visited robot "...

http://goo.gl/Y49MC

Re: Brooklyn Bridge rally!!

Bill Beltmen
We look like fools in the eyes of the other trades at the rally.No excuses they should have shut the school for the day and had the apprentices attend.They should of handed out shirts as they would have for picket duty.They should have it count as a picket duty day.These high paid scumbags are only worried about themselves and not about who pays them.A day when we all should of been there to rally as one .No excuses and a huge missed opportunity for this union.