BTEA/FRAMEWORK FOR REDUCING UNION CONSTRUCTION COSTS

BTEA/FRAMEWORK FOR REDUCING UNION CONSTRUCTION COSTS

anonymous
http://www.bteany.com/pages/mc/nl.html
BTEA NEWS
Winter 2011
Page 4.
Transcribed from PDF:

A FRAMEWORK FOR REDUCING UNION CONSTRUCTION COSTS

1. Elimination of non-productive jobs/practices; everybody works a full eight hour day;

2. Elimination of non-productive work rules;

3. No limitations on the contractor's choice of materials, techniques, methods, technologies or designs;

4. No limitations on the the use and installation of equipment, machinery, packaged units, pre-cast, pre-fabricated, pre-finished or pre-assembled materials or devices;

5. No limitations on the use of tools or other labor-saving devices;

6. No limitations on materials, supplies or equipment, regardless of their source or origin;

7. Elimination of prohibitions of or restrictions on work which is performed off-site on materials or products modified or fabricated for installation on the project;

8. Elimination of rules, customs, or practices that, in the exclusive judgment of the contractor/employer, limit or restrict the productivity or efficiency of employees; provided that safety priorities are maintained;

9. Elimination of temporary services unless requested by the Owner/Construction Manager; temporary facilities will remain under the control of the Construction Manager;

10. Coffee breaks may be consumed at the work station; and only during the times allocated for such breaks;

11. All workers shall be at their assigned work stations at starting time;

12. Employees shall not leave their work stations for the lunch break until ten minutes before the break starts;

13. All workers shall be back at their work stations at the end of lunch break;

14. The standard work week is 40 hours a week and 8 hours a day straight time rates;

15. All overtime shall be paid after 40 hours at the rate of 1 1/2;

16. Flexible starting time as determined by the contractor/employer;

17. Staggered start times within each Trade, as determined by each contractor;

18. Shift work shall be paid with a 10% deferential;

19. Seven standard holidays;

20. Contractor/employer established and published work rules and code of conduct;

21. Saturday make-up day at straight time in the event work is canceled for inclement weather;

22. Only working shop stewards selected from Journeyman on the job;

23. No tolerance policy for non-performance or a poor work ethic;

24. Increased apprenticeship to journeymen ratios;

25. Mandatory drug and alcohol testing;

26. A 20% reduction in wage and benefit package.

Re: BTEA/FRAMEWORK FOR REDUCING UNION CONSTRUCTION COSTS

Levi
So the Building Trades Employers Association made public their agenda for lowering costs. As  usual the burden is on the tradespeople. They talk about lowering wages and benefits and many jobsite and shop concessions. But contractors must look in the mirror if they truly want to lower costs.
   How many times have we seen architects who draw ridiculous impossible details, or changes after something is built, or discrepancies between the prints and the field dimensions? How many times have we done things twice because of bad information? Or been held up due to poor coordination by a G.C., or because the job super is really just a job watcher without the knowledge or confidence to make a decision? How much wasted material have we seen due to estimator errors?
  How about architects, estimators and supers doing their jobs or bearing the burden of the high cost of construction? Take a field measurement once in a while, because when I work, I work and so do all the other tradespeople around me. If not, I'm gone.
    G.C.'s should consider going back to hiring carpenters as their job supers. Nobody is better suited for this position. The most knowledgeable and confident supers I know are carpenters and their jobs run smooth because they can catch a mistake before it costs a fortune to fix it. And then, the carpenter foreman can concentrate on his job without having to lay out everybody's work.