An Observation By Dennis Walsh

Pat Nee
An Observation
I have had expressed to me by some members great antipathy towards the UBC,which they believe is secretive and dictatorial. Alternatively, I witnessed first-hand theraucous and discourteous reception given to Frank Spencer by members of Local 157 atthe January meeting of the local (the first to include the former members of Local Union608, which was dissolved by the General President McCarron on corruption grounds inDecember) when he attempted to address members and present information to themregarding the formation of Local 395 and the condition of the Benefit Funds. Those whoare blind with anger will not recognize the heavy responsibility of fiduciaries to shepherdthe interests of so many dependents. Those who do not report the view from themountain top have climbed for naught.To the extent that there are “sides,” both (or all) could do better to understand thepositions of others. From the beginning of my tenure, I have urged complacent membersto surmount apathy and participate in the affairs of the Union. I grow increasinglypessimistic that such improvement in affairs is indeed possible. Whether one supports ordecries the policies and programs of the UBC, failing to seek information and participatein union affairs and meetings is an abdication of responsibility. Even then, everyone whoparticipates in the debate about the future of the labor movement and the District Councilmust be armed with facts and listen to what others have to say. Those who decline to soparticipate and act responsibly will have ceded their right to lament any particular outcome.

Re: An Observation By Dennis Walsh

Pat Nee
I do not get this. Spencer has a track record of lies. What purpose would be served by trying to understand Frank Spencers position?
Frank Spencer attempted to mislead the membership at the one meeting he ever attended. He showed an utter disdain for the membership.
As I told Frank Spencer that night, I can see no benefit in having a discussion with him, all he does is ignore, lie and "forget". What good is a conversation with this guy if you cannot believe a word that comes out of his mouth.

Re: An Observation By Dennis Walsh

Am I hearing Walsh giving a sob story on the treatment of Spencer at the meeting.Spencer got exactly what he deserved and earned The same Spencer who forced illegal assessments with the blue card and is still stealing the money to this day. The same Spencer who refused to give information or answer to the membership and basically told members to go f.. themselves an he did not have to answer to any local. The same Spencer who with McCarron supported Forde and his corrupt regime and has had two Councils in supervision for corruption.

Walsh says those who speak on future of Unionism or the NY Council should listen to and have the facts. Well here is a fact jack. The same Spencer your giving the bob hoo for and telling the Judge was disrespected is the same Spencer who has conspired with the UBC to deny and refuse the members the so called facts for years until you came along and now he is pretending to answer the members.I notice you have not included any of that in the report. Boo Hoo Spencer .This same Spencer hand picked most of the people you have vetoed and who have resigned,quit or been charged.This same Spencer took the Eastern District ESTs to Hawaii at the cost of $10,000 per couple just for First Class airfare alone. The rest cost the UBC over $250,000. When will you give Spencer the same investigation you gave 1456.Is this a joke

Re: An Observation By Dennis Walsh

william davenport for president
amen to that,rd

Re: An Observation By Dennis Walsh

                                               - CONCLUSION -

Consider a day just a few months away. There will be a meeting of delegates to the District Council. A president will be presiding under the gaze of an executive secretary treasurer not yet sure whom he can trust, as well as a hundred men and woman who would be them of fate allowed.

Propositions great and slight will be debated and the decisions made will touch thousands of members and their families. There will be no shortage of participants in that meeting who posess the qualities of energy, initiative and independence of mind; imagination too, and a few will have keen vision.

Some who posess these qualities may also be consumed by greed and envy and by no means be able to control the course of their abject passions.

In order for this Union to survive and prosper - in order for the fundamental rights, wages, pensions checks and health coverage of those thousands of members across the region or retired to distant states to be secure - those afflicted by such base characteristics must be held in check; and those who are not so burdened must have a means to flourish and lead those who are only fit to be lead.

The system must insure that it be so. This is the challenge.

dated:

June 3, 2011

Review Officer Dennis Walsh

Re: An Observation By Dennis Walsh

The By-Law changes in the proposed Restructuring Plan submitted May 26, 2011, wherein the UBCJA International declares unto itself all plenary power, that are reserved for a Court; the UBCJA International claims unto itself, all Executive, Legislative & Judicial functions of the NYCDCC via a new "centralized" form of government.

Not only is this a prima-facie violation of the NLRA, notwithstanding the temporary suspension of the District Council's autonomy while under a temporary Trusteeship - it is an arrogant but true admittance of its clear intention to run not only this District Council, but all Regional District Councils and Local Unions in the U.S.A. as an unfettered Dictatorship.

Dictators rule via autocratic fiat and proclamation.

Douglas McCarron does this right under the nose all parties and no one blinks, no one acts.

After 21-year of a failed Consent Decree, 16+ of which have been under his direct watch and control - most parties can discern the true source of the continued problems, the others are in denial or simply not telling the truth.

UBCJA Carpenters working in the NYCDCC fund the International Unions legal bills, they fund the District Council's legal bills and they pay for the costs of the IRO and via indirect Federal taxes pay for the US Attorney - Yet, for 21-years find no justice.

This fact should be a source of concern and embarassment for the IRO & U.S. Attorneys office.

What we need here is an audit in full, broken down on a yearly basis which lines out in specific detail every cent spent on legal matters involving this Consent Decree, starting with 1990. Given the UBCJA's involvement as a party, this audit should be conducted by an independent third party.

The fact that UBCJA member carpenters are paying directly & indirectly all the associated legal billings, for the Plaintiff's & the Defendants and the parties are playing under relaxed conferencing rules does not lend credence to the idea that this Consent Decree will not go on for an additional 21-years.

Perhaps, simply showing up & submiiting the invoices for 'billable hours' has become just another easy money day at the Court - with little, if anything to show for it.

After 21-years, Judge Berman needs to ask the United States Attorneys office why they have failed to review the UBC Constitution, the NYCDCC By-Laws, the NLRA & LMRDA in tandem and why they have failed to take out their veto pen and and strike any & all portions of the UBC Constitution & NYCDCC By-Laws & sever same on a line item basis.

The UBC Carpenters are entitled to a straight answer to these few simple questions.

Suffice to say that the Court & the IRO and the US Attorney should all want to see a copy of the audited financial Legal billings and expenses for all parties involved in this case.

Preservation of the status-quo is not the answer, nor is allowing the UBC International another bite at the proverbial apple.

When matters of law are at issue, whether old or new, when the legislature who authored the laws do not do so with certainty and clarity - Courts turn to the legislative history of the law in question and to the authors of it.

The LMRDA which passed in 1959 was one such area. The Kennedy-Irvin bill details such specificity: At 1102 ,Senator McClellan believed that...

" we ought to start with the union man, with the worker, and to relieve him from the oppression which has been thrust upon him in some places. We should restore to him his rights. We should vest in him again the power to do something to protect his rights. We must give him the authority again to run his own union. We must pass a law, such as the measure now proposed, which will enable [**9] him to prevent usurpation by would be exploiters. Let us start to help the worker."

105 Cong. Rec. 5813 (daily ed. Apr. 22, 1959).

Douglas J. McCarron is one such exploiter, one who seeks to usurp all form and manner of law, and that is patently obvious to all. The US Attorney's office and the RO are the Lawyers for the NYCDCC rank & file worker, yet - they stand in agreement with Doug McCarron and force members to fight them first.

The United States Supreme Court has ruled against any centralized form of government and these decisions stand and have not been over-turned.

The UBCJA's constitution & by-laws do not supersede any federal law, any state law and more specifically the federal Constitution.

Re: An Observation By Dennis Walsh

someone who doesnt know

    your telling me Mr.Waosh that we should listen to that lying piece of garbage stop!!!  as a child they beat him up at sunday school for lying!! you said they signed the lcn?what about the contract?