ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS VERY IMPORTANT

John A Diaz
Hi again my name is John A Diaz I will be a 30 year member as of this week.   I am taking the time to let you know just how important this election is, I mean for the future of the District Council. Let me first start out by saying and this is my personal opinion "IT IS A CONFLICT OF INTEREST TO BE A DELEGATE AND TO ALSO BE A BUSINESS REPRESENTATIVE /ORGANIZER OR ANY PAID MEMBER OF THE DISTRICT COUNCIL" Don get me wrong there maybe one or two members who can be unbiased and vote on behalf of the member.  I went over the roll call record of the Council reps who are now delegates, they sold you out I mean how can ever job that asked for a PLA. get their vote,  some are 100% yes Do you think that benefits the member working in the field taking less money especially when they just voted themselves a raise.  How fair is that? We need true representatives who know what the members need.  Ask the delegate you are planning to vote for, when is the last union meeting they attended? did they stay till the end? do they attend on a regular basis?  I again can not stress the importance of getting the right person in as delegate who will know and represent the True needs and wants of the carpenter working in the field.  You are about to get a  raise on July 1,st. what good is that if you are only getting 80% of what other members are getting.  To me A UNION, A TRUE UNION IS ONE FOR ALL AND ALL FOR ONE.   You watch and see if the delegates you voted in to office are going to have your best interest .  Is it your best interest to have provisional on the job? maybe it would seem like that at first but one day every aspect of our industry will want that same deal.  I WANT TO SAY FOR THE RECORD I AM NOT PICKING ON THE PROVISIONAL CARPENTER but let's face the facts, the District council what they aren't realizing is that we take in a provisional carpenter we also take in their eligible family members, The District Council continually states the the benefit department at times are struggling to stay a float. even as Mr. Geiger said "the retirees are a burden to the benefit department " Now you have these families who never had coverage before what do you think they will want to do they will utilize the benefits putting an even more strain on the welfare of the benefits department.  Again I SAY TO YOU WE NEED TO TAKE CARE OF OUR OWN,  ESPECIALLY FOR THOSE WHO EARNED THEIR TIME. HOW IS IT WHEN AT ANY MOMENT THERE ARE 3,000 MEMBERS OUT OF WORK ON THE LIST. YET THEY ARE HIRING PROVISIONAL..  WE HAVE QUALIFIED MEMBERS EVEN APPRENTICES.    PUT ALL OF OUR MEMBERS TO WORK . THEN MAYBE TALK ABOUT HIRING OTHERS.  PLEASE PLEASE I CAN NOT STRESS THE IMPORTANCE OF THIS ELECTION,  ABOUT PUTTING IN THE MEMBER WHO WILL DO THE MOST GOOD ,DO NOT VOTE A COMPLETE SLATE, OR FOR SOMEONE BECAUSE THEY ARE A FRIEND, OR THEY HAVE A POSITION AT THE DISTRICT COUNCIL. VOTE FOR THE MEMBER BECAUSE THEY CARE ABOUT YOUR WELFARE, YOUR FAMILY, YOUR FUTURE.  again ask your self in that it is so busy, hours are up. Why is it that the District Council doesn't help the active and retired member I mean THEY PLACED PREMIUMS ON RETIRED CARPENTERS WHO AFTER YEARS OF SERVICE HAVE TO LIVE ON FIXED INCOMES, CO PAYS ARE HIGH DEDUCTIBLES ARE ALSO HIGH, LIFE INSURANCE WAS LOWERED, THEY DON'T LOOK AFTER THE RETIREES, WHY ISN'T THESE ISSUES AREN'T ADDRESSED.  WE NEED TO COME TOGETHER AND SAY ENOUGH IS ENOUGH STOP GIVING THE CONTRACTOR EVERY CONCESSION THEY ASK FOR. PLEASE AGAIN JUST COME OUT AND VOTE, BUT VOTE FOR THE MEMBER WHO WILL DO THE MOST GOOD, THE MEMBER WHO HAS A GOOD RECORD OF LOOKING OUT FOR YOUR BEST INTEREST, THE INTERESTS OF YOUR FELLOW BROTHER AND SISTER CARPENTERS, AND ESPECIALLY FOR YOUR FAMILY AND YOU AS YOU RETIRE
IF NOT AND YOU VOTE FOR THE WRONG CHOICE YOU WILL ONLY HAVE YOURSELF TO BLAME AS THINGS BECOME PROGESSIVELY WORSE .DO NOT SIT ON THE SIDELINES AND THINK YOUR VOTE WON'T COUNT, EVERY VOTE COUNTS ESPECIALLY NOW.  AGAIN I APOLOGIZE FOR ALL CAPS, IT'S JUST I CAN NOT STRESS THE IMPORTANCE OF VOTING FOR THE RIGHT TEAM OF DELEGATES.  IT IS ALSO MY LAST OPINION THAT THE "MEMBERS VOICE" SLATE HAS MORE MEMBERS WHO ATTEND MEETINGS ON REGULAR BASIS (BY THE WAY I ATTEND ALMOST EVERY MEETING,  UNLESS I AM TOO ILL)AND REALLY CARE AND KNOW WHAT THE MEMBERS NEED AND WANT. THAN THE "PROGRESSIVE " SLATE. DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT GO TO THE DISTRICT COUNCIL WEBSITE AND SEE FOR YOURSELF HOW EACH MEMBER VOTES ,DO THE RIGHT THING VOTE, VOTE VOTE GOOD LUCK TO ALL ,GOD BLESS YOU, YOUR FAMILY THIS COUNTRY AND OUR UNION. -------UNION=UNITY-'--'''

Re: ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS VERY IMPORTANT

Brian Conlon
Ask me why I think you are overpaid.

Re: ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS VERY IMPORTANT

30yr guy
John thank you for taking the time to voice your opinion you're absolutely right the paid employees of the district council have repeatedly sold out the membership at every turn and how a fat slob like Joe Geiger has the nerve to say someone such as myself who worked over 50,000   hrs in this business is a burden on the membership should choke on his next cheeseburger he's a lazy Pig he  always was from someone who actually work for a living not one of  the Chosen Few from the inner circle who rule the roost at 395 vote members voice  the other choice will screw you to death

Re: ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS VERY IMPORTANT

member
Thank you John, you have always been a strong union member, you should run for delegate

Re: ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS VERY IMPORTANT

John A Diaz
the UBC Constitution and by laws state that retired members can nit be considered for any position,  however I would love to see that changes someone should be nominated and made delegate to voice the concerns of the retired Carpenter.  I am also very I'll due to 911. Thank God we have Bill Walsh who is retired but works 1 week a month who is eligible to be a delegate and voice our concerns.  I hope to God he remains as he is our voice. He does a lot for the member

Re: ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS VERY IMPORTANT

Norman
John, Why not help prepare a new generation of honest, educated, union and civic leaders? Retired? Now you have the time, and experience (I hope) to recruit our future leaders. Ask Bill to turn over the Retired Carpenters group to you, he claims to have time conflicts. Make him president emeritus if he's shy of letting go. The school claims to be developing a mentoring program, help them create it; what better way to influence the future?

Re: ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS VERY IMPORTANT

John A Diaz
 Norman, that sounds like a good idea however I can not knock Bill Walsh he is a true union person who cares for both the active and retired member, plus he is our voice with in the delegate body and is the only person eligible to stick up for the retirees concerns at that meeting.   I was offered several times to be President even by Bill, himself and I would love to but even being that I am not working my main concern is my health.  There are times I can't even get out of bed and I am on oxygen as I lost a lung function due to 911.  if I was healthier I would definitely do more I try and save my strength to attend the retiree meeting as well as the local union meeting which are both equally important to me.  I did however initiate and will be covering a new benefit that you  will be officially hearing about as of August or September any member who has 10 years of service and the immediate families request will have 2 members of the retiree guild attend the funeral,  say a few words honoring the member pus will be given the UBC flag in their honor.  I hope that will be taken seriously as a member should be remembered more than just a moment of silence at the local union meetings. Anyway I think that is enough I can handle at this time than you tough for your vote of confidence God bless