ALL CARPENTER STEWARDS

I was asked to post the following invitation to attend a Steward Meeting.

Attn: ALL CARPENTER STEWARDS

JOIN OUR STEWARD THINK TANK

Many Stewards do their jobs on a daily basis without any recognition of a job well done. We are the caretakers of our Union. However, more and more often the very men and women whose rights we protect hold us in contempt, justifiably so in some cases.

In light of the August 2009 Indictments and subsequent guilty pleas, in which 5 of 10 persons indicted & convicted were Stewards, this is to be expected. Due to this, morale among Stewards is at an all time low. The credibility of Stewards is in jeopardy, but we believe we can work together to change this negative perception.

If you are tired of doing this alone and wish to change our condition for the better, consider volunteering your suggestions and / or time in assisting to form a Stewards’ organization to be recognized at some point by the union.

Stewards, to succeed we ask that you consider the following:

*The formation of a Recognized Steward Body advocating on behalf of all Stewards
*Name of this Steward Body: (Consider acronyms like “STEW / STU“ would be ideal)
*Creation of a Mission Statement (What our goals / objectives should be)
*Possible Meeting Locations (e.g. Churches / Community Centers / Etc.)

We need Volunteer Stewards who have skills & abilities in the following areas:

*Organizing / Group Dynamics / Negotiating
*Web Hosting / Web Design / Blog Creation
*Public Speaking / Public Relations
*Creative Writing / Speech Writing / Proposal Writing
*Teaching / Instruction / Class or Workshop Creation
*Book Keeping / Accounting / Fund-raising
*Labor Law / Contract Law / Political Science
*Parliamentary Procedure / Robert’s Rules Of Order

As Stewards for the Rank & File Carpenters of our Union we call for a STEWARDS ONLY MEETING on Friday, 01/14/11 (union cards will be checked for steward status) at The Moonstruck Diner at 4:30 PM (back room). The location of the diner is 400 West 23rd Street (corner of 9th Ave) in the borough of Manhattan. The meeting will be informal as usual. The last of the donated Tee-Shirts and Information Folders will be handed out free at this meeting.

Share the Rank & File’s feedback regarding the recent Dissolution of Local 608, the Pay Raise Giveback of 01/01/11, and the Immediate Opening of Contract Negotiations.

Re: ALL CARPENTER STEWARDS

A Steward
About time stews stepped up! I'll be there!
GEO

Re: ALL CARPENTER STEWARDS

GEO
Step Up, Not Stepped On. I was in the midst of starting a similar organization called "The United Stewards Association" Independently,I have called on Experienced Carpenter Stewards for advice & direction to help with legal ramifications, job disputes, intolerable foreman or management. I look forward to the meeting & will attend.

Re: ALL CARPENTER STEWARDS

Richard Dorrough
Just curious who asked you to post this

Re: ALL CARPENTER STEWARDS

Termite
I sent the flyer out to those with websites. Time stewards start communicating.

Re: ALL CARPENTER STEWARDS

Termite
Would be nice to have some input from upstate as well. Feel free to cross post the info.

Re: ALL CARPENTER STEWARDS

Termite
Thank you for posting the info brother John.

Re: ALL CARPENTER STEWARDS

Richard Dorrough
Termite. No insult intended but I dont know if you would want our 370 Stewards. I think you would find them amusing and you certainly could not trust them. Being a Steward in Upstate NY does not mean squat. They are not afforded the same rights and protections as downstate. They do nothing to protect our members and their mission is to run cover for our corrupt local officers and support the policy's of the Council.
  85 percent of our stewards were appointed because they are somebody's relative, buddy or because they will not bother our officers with job site problems Their is no Steward training required to be a steward. Local 370 VP Douglas Blacklock told a super at Safeway Services that he was making a 2 year apprentice Steward over a 30 year journeyman. He told the Super he was justified because that Apprentice attended a meeting and was therefore better trained to be a steward. We have another Steward/Trustee who was fired for threatening to beat up his foreman. He was sent back out as Steward on another site where he was fired for stealing copper and tools. He was sent right back out as Steward on another job and another after that.
              Not all Stewards are drity but the majority of ours ARE.

Re: ALL CARPENTER STEWARDS

Steward
Get the info out to the other 15%. These same issues affect your Council as well..

Re: ALL CARPENTER STEWARDS

Termite
Thanks to everyone who participated. Great show of committment.

Re: Stewards Org

Norman
I have a sample contract for dissemination and discussion. Sent me an address that I can snail mail it to. Norman