AFL-CIO

Bill Lebo
     In 2001 McCarron pulled the UBC out of the AFL-CIO, for the reported issue that McCarron believed they weren't putting enough emphasis on organizing. Since that time the membership of the UBC has steadily been dropping and the unions market share has been steadily decreasing. So where has McCarrons organizing gotten us? A weaker union with less union jobs and no support from the AFL-CIO. This is not just here in New York, this is nation wide.
     I find it disturbing that the delegates to the General Convention are blind to this, or are just so scared to go up against McCarron that they are willing to turn a blind eye so they can keep their cushy high paying jobs (those that have them). This is a time that Unions need to pull together as a whole, and stand against the attack we are under.
     McCarron has raided other trades jurisdictional work, such as the IBEW, in a time we should be standing together he is pushing us further and further apart. McCarron has deep ties with construction magnate Ronald Tutor. These ties are highly questionable for a Union Leader like McCarron. One has to ask ones self what the underlying scheme is here. I believe McCarron is the worst type of union buster there is. One who is dragging us down from within and from the top.
     When we get out from under the UBC's trusteeship I believe we need to do all we can to reaffilliate with the AFL-CIO and do our best to pull all the trades here in NY back together so we can stand togther against the pervasive ever growing non union work force and take back what is ours. I also believe we need to set in motion a nation wide movement to rid our Union of McCarron.

Re: AFL-CIO

Bill Walsh Local 157
Bill, I have to agree with you on this one. It is a disgrace we haven't moved in the direction to join an organization that we helped to start. Back in the day, McCarron had aspirations to head up the AFLCIO until he was turned away. He took all (OUR) marbles and ran away, backed out us out of the important trade group in America and licked his wounds. I hope that we can get our members back involved in our union and support what is right for all workers.

Re: AFL-CIO

WILLIE
Thanks Bill for this post. I feel our members don't understand,how serious this is.

Re: AFL-CIO

Levi
   Count me in Bill. This is how it starts.
16d

Re: AFL-CIO

16d
We need to initiate votes to sign solidarity charters with the AFL-CIO at the local and district council levels to send a message to McCarron.

Re: AFL-CIO

Steward
I was under the impression....McCarron pulled out because it was costing us big money and he felt we weren't getting enough bang for our buck.

Re: AFL-CIO

XXXXXXXX
Look to other reasons as to why the UBC pulled out.

He can't take over other trades while under the umbrella!

Re: AFL-CIO

McCARRON - TRADE RAIDING ON the PAINTERS.....

Doug has this case "held in abeyance" via his direct Collusion with corrupt DOL - NLRB Board Attorneys, until he can shove the New York City Restructuring Plan down everyone's throats.

It is high time the USAO's & the Dept. of Justice started a criminal RICO investigation and convene a grand jury, issue indictments against the UBCJA International and all of its Executive Board members & 36 EST's. It's high time we had the perp walk down in DC.

If it does not happen, it simply means the USAO's offcice is as corrupt as the UBCJA. Members note incompetence is not an affirmative defense for the USAO's Office in NYC.

MAY 27, 2010 - RAYMOND INTERIORS (WESTERN WALL & CEILING CONTRACTOR ASSOCIATION)

C. On October 2, 2006, Raymond and the Carpenters Meet Jointly withRaymond’s Drywall-Finishing Employees to Inform Them that TheyWill Now Be Working under the Carpenters Agreement; Raymond Tells The Employees They Must Immediately Join the Carpenters To Continue Working for Raymond; the Carpenters Gives Employees a Single Document Containing Membership, Dues Checkoff, and Authorization Forms, Without Concurrently Providing the Required Beck Notices; Most of the Employees Comply By Returning Signed
Documents that Day

1. The Employees Are Called to a Meeting on October 2 On the evening of October 1, Raymond’s General Superintendent, Hector Zerrero, and at least one other company official, made telephone calls to all of Raymond’s drywall-finishing employees, directing them to arrive at the Orange County facility’s yard at approximately 6 a.m. the following morning for a meeting. Employees were not told the purpose of the meeting. The employees 4 This memorandum agreement is a short-form agreement, which bound Raymond to the terms of the Carpenters 2006 master agreement. (JER 14 & n.4.)
12 noted that it was unusual for them to be called to Raymond’s premises for a
meeting. (JER 15; 225-26, 280-81, 331-32.)

On October 2, as planned, Raymond and the Carpenters jointly held a meeting at the Orange County facility, with 85-90 (out of 110) of Raymond’s drywall-finishing employees. As each employee arrived in his vehicle at Raymond’s outer gate, he was met by company officials who checked the employee’s name on a sheet of paper. Once checked, the employee was permitted to enter and park.

At an interior gate blocking access to Raymond’s main facility, a company office worker again checked each employee’s name off a list. At 7 a.m., the gates were opened and the employees were ushered into a warehouse area, in which tables and chairs were arranged and the employees were served breakfast. After an hour, the employees were instructed to enter a large training room, which was arranged with rows of chairs, a stage with tables and a podium, and a dropdown projection screen. (JER 15; 226-27, 332-33, 536-37.)

2. Company President Winsor and Superintendent Zerrero Tell Employees that They Must Sign up with the Carpenters “That Day” or Else They Will Have No More Work

The purpose of the meeting was to explain the transition from the Painters to the Carpenters. The initial presenter was Company President Travis Winsor, who spoke for several minutes, utilizing Power Point slides and a document that was distributed to employees. (JER 15; 589-90, 1004, 1047.)

That document states that, from October 1 forward, Raymond will apply the 2006 Carpenters master agreement to its drywall-finishing work and that, consequently, “[d]rywallfinishing employees who were not previously members of the Carpenters must join
the Carpenters Union under the union-security provision of the Carpenters labor agreement.” (JER 1004.) Following Winsor, several Carpenters representatives spoke about the wage and benefits packages in the Painters’ and Carpenters’ agreements, and the employees’ obligation to pay monthly dues. (JER 15, 30; 286, 424, 1060.) During these presentations, English-to-Spanish translation was provided by a Carpenters official through headsets worn by Spanish-speaking employees. (JER 15; 541-42.)

After the formal presentations, employees were permitted to ask questions of Winsor, Superintendent Zerrero, and the Carpenters’ representatives. An employee asked whether the employees could continue working if they did not sign with the Carpenters. Winsor replied that “if they did not sign, there would be no more work, and that, if you don’t sign you will not have a job but no one will be fired.” (JER 18; 423-24.) Employees then asked if they had to reach a decision that day about signing with the Carpenters, and Winsor replied that “if we didn’t sign on that day, we weren’t working anymore.” (JER 17-18, 28; 441; see also JER 287-88, 313-14, 326, 430, 453.)

Nice - put the proverbial gun to the worker & employees heads & say sign the paper - otherwise your fired. Gee Dougy - no coercion, fraud or intimidation there is there? Hey, but you did buy em breakfast. Gee champ, you're a sport!

So - exactly how much did it cost us in bribes to the NLRB to have this case held in abeyance until you shoved the NYCDCC Restructuring Plan down everyone's throats?

C'mon Doug - time to sign the LCN Papers.....you can do it....what - gotta Lawyer up?