A Tirade

Norman Saul
We call ourselves a ‘union’ and a ‘brotherhood’. What do we expect from and
to give to it? We pay dues, contributions and assessments. To what end? Are we
merely serfs paying baronial tribute to buy our ‘right to work cards’? A few of us
select administrators and advocates to represent us all. Do they? If those who
are ‘chosen’ to bargain to ‘collectively’ on our behalf are inadequate what
can be done about it? If the benefits and social services we believe we’ve
earned and paid for are not what we’ve hoped for; what redress are we
allowed to and against those we’ve entrusted with that task? Should they
remain in office? We have imposed upon us layer upon layer of watchers,
overseers and enforcers, to what end and whose benefit? Are they worth the
time, money and effort for their results? Are they just securing the status quo?
If we don’t all care enough to speak, act and vote, aren’t we choosing
‘business as usual’? In the wake of the ouster of the criminals and their corrupt
minions, what have we got left? Are we choosing by our action or inaction more
than dregs of former administrations and new power and money hungry poor
cookie cutter copies of what hasn’t worked before and still doesn’t? The few
who will read this call ourselves ‘leaders’ and ‘protectors’ (look up the word
steward); well, when do we start? Are we to be more than a small club of
grumblers and do-nothing coffee house patriots? If so, I guess I don’t understand
what DEMOCRACY, UNION and BROTHERHOOD mean. If we don’t foment
change or train ourselves in craft and leadership skills, perhaps we should plan,
picnics and fishing trips that will probably never happen either. – Norman
FIX

Re: A Tirade

FIX
Bad call on the coffee house patriots Norm.

Re: A Tirade

Smash the Plate!
Actually, wasn't that Norm and his First lieutenant occupying the Foley Square Starbucks for several hours yesterday? A barrista told me later that Norm got so irate about himself being there that he smashed a plate glass side-light by the entry-way with his cane. We figured it was justified because of the weak coffee...
FIX

Re: A Tirade

FIX
It wasn't much sooner after that when the fashion police showed up due to a 911 call placed by an astute carpenter on his way home from work noticing Joe Pissaro was impersonating somebody who wears a suit.

Re: A Tirade

Nice Threads
I believe that's one step over the line, Surfer Dude; SDNY security didn't hassle the Bilello entourage for a supportive Fabulous Furry Freak Brother attending his hearing.

Laying Down His Hammer to Apply a Broom to a Troubled Union
By TOM ROBBINS
Published: March 7, 2012

When he was elected in December as the leader of the city’s 25,000 unionized carpenters, Michael Bilello was helping to build the new PATH station at ground zero. After the election, he “put down his tools” — as they say in his trade — and went to Brooks Brothers, where he had once built a staircase, to buy a new suit. “It was the only place I could find with the union label in the pocket,” he said.
FIX

Re: A Tirade

FIX
Rad Touche' Righteous Union Bro. -  But was Joe's suit of the same brand as Bull's?
cfc

Re: A Tirade

cfc
I don't know Mr Norman Saul, but I have to say he has nailed it, with his Tirade. The Crux of all our problems as a union membership "is" that we don't do enough individually to protect what "we" have and or what "we" should have. Most members believe that someone else is better equipped to doing the work of the union, not understanding that all individual members, actually make up a "union". I don't know what else to say???

Re: A Tirade

tester
Theodore Roosevelt :
“If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn’t sit for a month.”

"…And why you should take charge and dare to do mighty things!"

“All the resources we need are in the mind. ”

“The government is us; WE are the government, you and I."

Re: A Tirade

caring steward
we must act as aunion,our goal is to build up the brotherhood instead of bashing one another.our problems lie with the nonunion sector.we have good individual members who care about our union.1,we need to regain our marketshare.2,we need to bring in every available benefit ours in to sure up our benefit funds.instead of bashing our leadership we need to form commitees to help solve the evryday problems our union faces to make us a stronger union.teach the apprentices,because they are the fuyure of the brotherhood.i for 1 would like to see every member employed to regain back and to make us a powerful union something to be proud.hopefully in the near futue get rid of all the dectives and police wathing our coruption areas.no disrespect to these people it is wasting too much money out of the members hard earned money.3make our sisters strong by mentoring them.4make each and every member good mchanics and adknowledable members to silence our contractors.5 plas do not work,20percent cut in marketshare does not work either.ifeel everyone works very hard to deserve their hard earned money6last and formost let us bring pride and respect back inthe brotherhood and make us a great union to be proud of.each and every member got to do their part and then we will succeed.god bless our members,god bless the union,hope for the very best for everyone,in solidarity a caring steward